Kidney beans

PRESTON

Yes used them and I've found them a good stalking bait for carp or fished over hemp.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Kidney beans are only dangerous if they have not been cooked properly and thats only if your going to eat them,which is'nt the case seeing as it's bait.As for bait,I assume they are as good as anything else if you show them to the fish over a few days.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hiya everyone, Tony yes they are dangerous if not properly prep'd.

Andy, I would say that they are going to be eaten and you would expect them to be for as you say, Quote "I assume they are as good as anything else if you show them to the fish over afew days" Unquote.

I assume that you mean to put them in over a period of a few days as you would in a baiting campaign. In that case why would you put them in if you didn't think they were going to be eaten?, the fish seeing no danger in them from a hook, as they have not come across one in the beans,so seeing it as a safe food source.

They make humans ill if not prepared correctly, so how do we know that it is not the same for fish?. I read about it a while ago in a mag (don't ask me which one as I can't remember) and it stated in there that they are dangerous if they are not correctly prepared.

Possibly some one at Hinders may have the answer,

BUT err on the side of safety to the fish and don't use them unless they are properly prepared, and if then still in doubt don't use them.

Andy please don't think that I'm haveing a go at you mate, nothing could be further from the truth, I only aim to add a bit of caution to the topic starter. :):)

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Red kidney beans contain Lectins which coagulate red blood cells in humans & can, if taken in sufficient quantities, cause serious illness!

Fortunately cooking for at least 15 mins will de-activate the Lectins & make the beans safe to eat.

Using raw seeds as bait can cause problems to any fish that eats them due to the tendency of the seed/bean to absorb water & swell, causing possible gastro-intestinal problems or even blockage. (Taken from a website that I can't find now :) )

Basically nip down to Tesco & buy a can of red kidney beans, these are ready cooked & perfectly safe :D

Thanks Baldrick.I was about to start rambling on the same line there.

Um Bushwacker.....what you on about?

quote:

I assume that you mean to put them in over a period of a few days as you would in a baiting campaign. In that case why would you put them in if you didn't think they were going to be eaten?, the fish seeing no danger in them from a hook, as they have not come across one in the beans,so seeing it as a safe food source.

Do you know of anywhere that naturally has Kidney beans in the water? I don't.I don't think the fish do either.The point I am making is that if the fish hav'nt seen it before,it takes a few days for them to nudge,inspect,examine,nibble,hopefully eat and accept as food.

Do you think the first person that used a boilie caught loads of carp straight away? No.It probably took days of free offerings before a rod was even used.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Originally posted by Andy Macfarlane:

[QB]Kidney beans are only dangerous if they have not been cooked properly and thats only if your going to eat them,which is'nt the case seeing as it's bait.

Originally posted by bushwacker:

" in that case why would you put them in if you didn't think they were going to be eaten ?"

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"