A bit of good fortune

Anderoo

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody Hell Andrew, are you after a column in the angling mags? :D

Well done on on your latest 'lump', it's one fantastic fish, and well deserved too. :thumbs:

One more trip, dare I say a possible 8 could be on the cards? (the stretch appears to be capable of holding one or two).

It's a shame you haven't listed all the blanks, recces, and disappointments, it might make some realise just what goes into consistently catching big fish.

It's to be hoped that the 'Midas touch' is still there when you're back with the 'Bream Team'. :D

John.

PS, Congratulations on the Itchen roach as well, another lovely looking fish.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks folks. The Thames chub are well known and it is a very long river, so I expect it will be too much hard work for the fish chasers. I've been deliberately vague with the details, and perhaps there's even been a little bit of mis-information, for which I apologise, but you know what some people are like. I also haven't told you about all the long, tiring blanks, all the dead-ends, and the frustrations when nothing goes right, and there have been plenty of them!

I have a feeling that fish is probably either the biggest in the stretch and I had a big stroke of luck catching it on my first session, or it's a nomad, and I was lucky that it happened to be there last night. All the other chub along that bit were very small, the smallest only about 8oz! I'm not sure yet, but I think it makes sense. The average size there was very low.

I'll be spending the closed season scoping out new stretches that fit the big fish formula ready for next winter, and I will definitely be moving on as I think I've had the best from the bits I have been fishing. Plus fishing new water is always so exciting :)

I'm really glad now I resisted the urge to try to finish off the season with a big perch. It was a bit of a dilemma but I'm relieved I stuck to the chubbing, as seeing that enormous fish in the light of the moon last night will live with me forever. It really was the fish of a lifetime.

One last go after work tonight with Rich. It will be nice to see the season out with a mate, and hopefully we'll manage a bite or two each. I'll be at such a loose end next weekend...!

(Steve, I just counted your smilies - very good! And thanks for the idea of fishing for them after dark, it has made such a difference.)

I think the odds on Anderoo being anyway other than the Thames river bank up until midnight tonight are somewhat long... :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I await Anderoo's update later with, "you never guess what" and a picture of an even bigger chub :lol:

You'll never guess what...

...only kidding :P I've just got back from the river, having seen out the season with Rich. No monsters to report, in fact only one small chub of about a pound between us, and a few nice bream. We had plenty of bites though, and it was great fun, as it should be.

So there we are, another season has come to a close, one which I won't forget in a hurry. Time to scrape the dried bread mash off everything, tidy everything up, and then start thinking about those lovely fat spring tench and trout :)

I hope everyone had a fun season :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Andrew, I've lost count now. How many 6lb+ chub did you end up with?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Andrew, I've lost count now. How many 6lb+ chub did you end up with?

Final stats are:

1lbers: 14

2lbers: 1

3lbers: 7

4lbers: 10

5lbers: 12

6lbers: 8

7lbers: 1 :)

PS thanks again for all the help, advice and encouragement from you all - it has been much appreciated.

PPS after carefully checking the pictures, I have had at least one recapture of the bigger fish (the 6.8 and 6.6 are the same fish caught 2 weeks apart). So I think I've had the best of it, and am happy to move on to new water next winter. Although I might pop back for a little cast now and again :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Terrific Anderoo and thoroughly deserved. It seemed a 7lber was going to come your way at some point with the run you have had but to catch it just before the end of the season is a wonderful way to sign off. I've loved reading about your campaign and I hope there is more to come next season! Well done!! N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables