A bit of good fortune

Anderoo

A superb pair. Well done

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many congratulations! What a fabulous season you're having! Tench, carp, bream and now chub. :clap2::clap2:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Amazing, well done you, what a catch!!! There was obviously someone looking over you today with all the different events that led you to fish there. Well pleased for you, well deserved. Great photos and write up.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Ta everyone (Steve, don't mention the carp, you'll give me a pukka bad name!). It looks perfect out there at the moment but my plan of hitting the river early and making hay while it's in form has been a bit scuppered. Hopefully I'll be able to get out for a couple of hours after lunch... it's so frustrating, I know exactly where I want to be and can't go, aaargh! Still, maybe it's another blessing in disguise :)

By measuring the scales in each photo I make the 2nd fish a fair bit longer than the first, so that one must have some serious potential. Also, checking through photos of the fish so far (and contrary to my first thought) it appears all the bigger chub are different fish. Amazing!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well, I managed to get out for the last couple of hours of daylight. After trying a couple of spots on a bit of water that still hasn't produced a bite in any conditions (it looks so perfect, it's very strange...I'm hoping it's because a lone monster has claimed it and won't let anyone share it) - and still hasn't! - I went down to where I had in mind, just downstream of where I ended up yesterday, but on the other side of the side stream. It was a long and boring walk to find a place where it was passable, but eventually I was there - a gorgeous spot nestled in a thick bed of Norfolk reed, with deep, steady water at my feet. There just had to be some chub here! So I decided to stay put, keep feeding mashed bread, and hoped to draw up any fish from along the glide.

After 15 minutes I had a sharp tap...then a few minutes of nothing...and then a lovely firm pull round on the tip! Wahaay, here we go again! I thought it was a small fish initially, but then it woke up and started making powerful dives for the reeds and vegetation under my feet, and I started to get a bit worried...the rod was bent right over with the tip well under the water trying to keep it out of trouble. Luckily everything held, and I got the offending chub in the net. Phew!

Not quite in the same league as yesterday's giants, but a big fish all the same, at 5lb 6oz:

DSCF1869.jpg

I carried on into dusk but again, nothing happened. It's odd that they don't seem to feed at dusk, but it's happened too many times now to be coincidence. What a fantastic weekend though, 3 chub averaging a smidge under 6lb! Roll on next weekend :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well done Andrew.

All three fish are crackers.

Makes me want to give up on trotting the maggots, and get quivertipping with mashed bread... :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)