Closed seasn targets?

Malters

With the river season drawing to a close my thoughts are starting to turn to stillwaters. My winter river target of a 2lb roach was a spectacular failure (however due to half my year being spent in Cornwall i can only river fish in short bursts) i am now looking towards my next disappointment (I thought about continuing the roach quest, only from a still water but decided that the only true 'two' is a river 'two'). I have decided that my first 3lb perch is in order (not the 'prime' time of year i know but still very do-able i think), and there is one local water that i reckon could produce one, however, i will only have perhaps 5-6 sessions max in which to catch it. GAME ON!

Have any other river fisherman set themselves any closed season still water targets?

I try not to fish during the close season but I believe my club has access to some nice tench waters, a species I haven't fished for in 20 odd years. So this year I might treat myself to some midweek misty dawns by a lake.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I try not to fish during the close season

Snap! My closed season targets are to get a couple of books read - and a couple more bought perhaps! :D Best 6 or 7 weeks of the season still to go yet though and if we get a mild spell THE best time for a big stripey IMO!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Plenty of time yet, and as Chris said, the best could still be yet to come. A mild spell (and some free time) at the last couple of weekends would be nice. We didn't get that last season.

I was talking to Steve Burke about perch a while ago, and he reckoned that April is the THE time to catch a big one, so your plan to target them in the river closed season could work out very well indeed!

My plans are to carry on with the chub until the end of the season (with a day at the Itchen at the AN fish-in, which I'm really looking forward to), have a little break, and then from late April/early May start with the bream fishing, which will take me through to September(ish). I'm not planning on doing much tench fishing next season, just the odd session in late May/early June. I might do some gravel pit perch fishing in April too, depending on how things work out time-wise.

In the gap between the end of the season and the start of the bream blanking, I'll be doing some fly fishing, both at Farmoor for its big, super-charged rainbows, and my little tributary for its spooky little brownies :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Why do some English anglers see the close-seaon as the end of fishing over that period. Are there no alternatives?

I can't fish rivers just now, apart from the odd super-famous salmon beats on the Tay or summit. Brownie fishing is out. I could just about get away these days pike fishing because most Crown Bailiffs are switched on these days to the difference but trot a maggot and you're just asking for it. I could probably get away coarse fishing my local river because it's not a famous salmon river, although it does have them but if you're clearly using coarsey methods, they generally leave you alone. Start spey-casting a tube fly aound and you'll probably get the nick. That said, if I wanted to go fishing right now, I'd hit the canal or a stillwater.

Why is fishing rivers the end of fishing?? I see Anderoo already has his year mapped out. He knows which stillwaters he' targeting when the English close season starts.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The start of the river close season for me means the start of my summer boat fishing season fishing for cod pollack and bass and I'll probably get a few trips in to the Dumfries and galloway area for some big loch piking

My real treat for myself this year is to do some serious lake tenching and have a crack at finding the tope off our bit of caostline