Closed seasn targets?

Malters

I was talking to Steve Burke about perch a while ago, and he reckoned that April is the THE time to catch a big one, so your plan to target them in the river closed season could work out very well indeed!

That's great news.

sadly I am in Cornwall now untill the end of the season so my river fishing season is over really. Can't wait to get back up and search for the striper though.

Edited by Malters

I was talking to Steve Burke about perch a while ago, and he reckoned that April is the THE time to catch a big one, so your plan to target them in the river closed season could work out very well indeed! :)

This referred to Wingham where everything spawns a couple of weeks later than in many other Kentish waters. It may also apply to waters in the north of the country, although I've no experience of these.

In much of the south the perch spawn about the 3rd week of April, and so late March/early April would be the peak period. However there's a lot of variability between waters.

This time of year is so good as the perch are feeding up ready for spawning, plus the natural food is still at a low level, especially small fry.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Why do some English anglers see the close-seaon as the end of fishing over that period. Are there no alternatives?

Yes Andy there are lots of alternatives and in the past I've fished throughout the year on the commercial fisheries where I used to live. Now though I almost exclusively fish rivers, I just don't get as much enjoyment out of stillwaters and can't remember the last time I fished one. This year though may be different.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Didnt fish last close season apart from fly fishing a Thames weir pool that has Trout in it ,Didnt catch any trout but did have some bonus Chub B) to a good size on Dry fly all though in truth my boat partner caught most of them .

Got a couple of spots in mind for the fly rod this close and may join Rusty in a Tench hunt ,i believe one of the lakes has Crucians to?? .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Didnt fish last close season apart from fly fishing a Thames weir pool that has Trout in it ,Didnt catch any trout but did have some bonus Chub B) to a good size on Dry fly all though in truth my boat partner caught most of them .

Got a couple of spots in mind for the fly rod this close and may join Rusty in a Tench hunt ,i believe one of the lakes has Crucians to?? .

Indeed it does, i had a very large crucian from a stillwater on the NAA book!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

,i believe one of the lakes has Crucians to?? .

Make that 6 of the lakes!!! Had 2 really good-uns from 2 of them back in the summer just gone (2-14 & 3.02). But most NAA lakes hold Crus a various stocking levels....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog