Fish 'n' Tips

Elton

Sadly I do believe this mag will be bought exclusively by the younger carpist to play with himself in his bivvy while waiting for the 'dapper' alarms to 'scream off' and not the serious angler. I for one would love for someone to come up with a magazine that is very technical showing the finer points of angling that people may actually learn something from. I would also rather they cover a wide range of angling rather than the usual 'wonder carp bait' and ad after ad for maver, pallatrax, TFG etc. <_<

I am so tired of seeing writers trying to make regurgitated 'facts' about carp fishing interesting. Quite frankly it is all utter ****s. All the major publications these days are 20% real coarse fishing and 80% carp and adverts and it makes them not worth a look anymore in my opinion. I feel quite passionate about this because there is a serious lack of education when it comes to angling these days (hence why many turn to this forum for help). Out of a whole copy of my latest Improve your coarse fishing there must have been around 3-4 actual points of learning and the rest was just anecdotal rubbish and mindless chatter, oh and of course the obligatory 20 pages of adverts etc. :angry:

I would rather the ads were scrapped in favour of decent writing and real learning about the sport and have to pay more for the pleasure. I recently bought two books, one from the 70's and one from the 80's because I was fed up of not having anywhere good to learn from. It is a sad state of affairs when you have to look up to 30 years into the past for some real angling tips and techniques. There are just no good technical publications anymore and I find it sad. It is likely the reason that most kids these days end up fishing in puddles and thinking biggest is always best as it is force-fed down their damn throughts at every turn. :wallbash:

Oh and by the way I am only 25 so not just being old and boring. :P

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

What a good post ATS. I feel pretty much the same way. Adverts are inevitable and that's OK, as long as they are actually adverts and not sponsered anglers using articles to promote their sponsers' stuff.

When you boil it right down, fishing is not complicated, it's great fun, it's calming, exciting, frustrating, and sharing it with friends makes it even better. Anyone can do it and everyone can enjoy it. And there's so much variety, so many species, so many different type of water, so many methods, and so many of us! Millions of normal weekend anglers who want a good read once a month.

If you can find old copies of Big Fish World or Coarse Fishing Today from the early 90s (ebay maybe?), you'll learn more from reading them than any mag out today, and will be blown away by how easy and enjoyable they are to read as they're not peppered with product placement or 'advertorials' by the names employed by bait and tackle companies.

I suppose it's inevitable that as angling is gradually narrowing right down to a single species and a single method, people have less and less to write about, and so have to just start padding it out with tiny variations on the same thing, or women in nurse uniforms.

ATS, try to get hold of copies of those old mags, I'm sure you'd love them.

PS I'm 34 and not partial to topless men ;)

Apart from Budgie.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What a bunch of old fuddy duddys you all are :)

I'll be buying the first issue, purely of course for the quality of the writing! <ahem>

I do however question the financial wisdom of trying to launch a new "dead tree" based magazine on any subject, not just anging in the electronic age.

it's going to have to be a really good read to get me parting with cash on a regular basis, bearing in mind the quality of the stuff that can be found for free online. (both angling and naked girls!!!!)

Any Plans for a kindle / E-reader version ???

Mat

Mat

ATS, try to get hold of copies of those old mags, I'm sure you'd love them.

I'll take look, thanks. :thumbs:

PS I'm 34 and not partial to topless men ;)

Apart from Budgie.

:lol:

Mat

Or maybe scratch and sniff? :D

Sadly I do believe this mag will be bought exclusively by the younger carpist to play with himself in his bivvy while waiting for the 'dapper' alarms to 'scream off' and not the serious angler. I for one would love for someone to come up with a magazine that is very technical showing the finer points of angling that people may actually learn something from. I would also rather they cover a wide range of angling rather than the usual 'wonder carp bait' and ad after ad for maver, pallatrax, TFG etc. <_<

I am so tired of seeing writers trying to make regurgitated 'facts' about carp fishing interesting. Quite frankly it is all utter ****s. All the major publications these days are 20% real coarse fishing and 80% carp and adverts and it makes them not worth a look anymore in my opinion. I feel quite passionate about this because there is a serious lack of education when it comes to angling these days (hence why many turn to this forum for help). Out of a whole copy of my latest Improve your coarse fishing there must have been around 3-4 actual points of learning and the rest was just anecdotal rubbish and mindless chatter, oh and of course the obligatory 20 pages of adverts etc. :angry:

I would rather the ads were scrapped in favour of decent writing and real learning about the sport and have to pay more for the pleasure. I recently bought two books, one from the 70's and one from the 80's because I was fed up of not having anywhere good to learn from. It is a sad state of affairs when you have to look up to 30 years into the past for some real angling tips and techniques. There are just no good technical publications anymore and I find it sad. It is likely the reason that most kids these days end up fishing in puddles and thinking biggest is always best as it is force-fed down their damn throughts at every turn. :wallbash:

Oh and by the way I am only 25 so not just being old and boring. :P

Its refreshing to hear that a younger angler as yourself is keen to learn everything about proper fishing methods and like you say there is a lot of experienced knowledgable anglers on this forum and the main reason i joined too.

Im certainly gratefull that i had good teachers in my dad and grandad who were top match anglers in the seventies and eighties,because back then you had to be able to fish any river, canal,lake , reservior etc . But if i was just starting out fishing today and only had the publications available as a guide i would only be a one dimensional angler only knowing how to catch poor conditioned damaged mouthed carp from poorly run commercials and just wouldnt know much better.

What this forum has done for me in a short time is remind me of old time tested methods like liquidised bread and hemp for roach and using the swingtip for delicate bite detection from small skimmers that otherwise wouldnt get caught , and a lot more things that get forgotten if not reminded

The trouble nowdays is that anglers believe the lie that you have to use all these special expensive grounbaits and hookbaits and i was starting to get caught in that trap myself and i still buy to many different grounbaits and pellets and hookbaits and tackle and i get confused and frustrated in matches when all i really need to do is concentrate on just fishing well .

There are 100s if not thousands of groundbaits on the market nowdays when in reallity only 3 or 4 are needed , and the same with baits and tackle . I must admit i love spending a whole afternoon down the tackle shop looking at everything but i still get taken in and spend to much week in and week out when i could just keep it simple , and when i do keep it simple im more relaxed and fish better and win matches .

The other thing i see alot that gets to me is matchmen that think its clever to keep secrets and even lie about baits and tactics they use or are just bullies that try and put off inexperienced younger anglers , theres a hell of alot of moaning matchmen as well that are not happy unless they are winning and even then i know a few that still moan .

The way i look at fishing nowdays is just to do your own thing and never be afraid to try something different and learn from helpfull anglers and ignore the idiots and just try to be honest and pass it on so others can enjoy themselves as well :D

Thanks Tony. I think I am lucky in that I fished rivers as a young lad, often for small dabs and tiny roach, with my father which gave me a better start than if I had been introduced via the carp puddles of nowadays. I do believe that simple is always better and it has served me well thus far.

Sometimes I think I am too honest about my baits and tactics when I see people down the river but I know how much I appreciated it in the past so I like to pass on what I have learnt. It would be wrong to keep everything to yourself and not help others who are in a situation that we were probably all in when we first started out. Of course it can be a bit different regarding swims as often the best ones are limited and I think it is much better for someone to find the swims for themselves by learning and applying watercraft to work it out.

With regards to match angling I am sure money and a bit of greed has some part to play in the attitudes of the more selfish among the matchmen. It is not unexpected as people can change a lot once money is invloved. I have steered clear of match fishing as it is just not for me. I prefer to learn at my own place and take most of my enjoyment from just being there in peace and quiet and seeing what I can learn on my own.

The members of this forum have helped me an awful lot too for which I am very grateful. I do believe it has made me a better angler and opened up many new ideas and options for me. It is a great forum to be a part of and I try to give back to it by offering things that I have learnt to debates etc. Although I know I am not as experience as others I do believe I can occasionally contribute something worthwhile lol.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

If the promotional stuff is anything to go by, what say you who doubted my recent posts on the 'dumbing down' of angling?

Sorry Mark, but if this kind of 'lads mag', is your idea of the way forward for angling, I think you've missed the mark, (no pun intended).

I might skim through it in the 'library' at Morrisons or Asda before a final judgement, but I don't think I will be buying it.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

What a bunch of old fuddy duddys you all are :)

I'll be buying the first issue, purely of course for the quality of the writing! <ahem>

I do however question the financial wisdom of trying to launch a new "dead tree" based magazine on any subject, not just anging in the electronic age.

it's going to have to be a really good read to get me parting with cash on a regular basis, bearing in mind the quality of the stuff that can be found for free online. (both angling and naked girls!!!!)

Mat

Admittedly im gonna buy it to, only way to find out

Suzy Snatchpiece?

Dear Anderoo, :)

Now don't you go being flippant re. the sanctity of women, 'Suzy Snatchpiece' indeed. Besides, you could offend our fellow member, he called 'Sportsman', who is of the none too humble opinion that women should be treated as a 'special case' [And by hell they most certainly are!!] considered as sacred beings & thus above all criticism. <_<

I worked overseas for some considerable time, an all male working environment it was, and one day we got talking about the relative behaviour of the sexes. I was taking the female corner [not literally I hasten to add] & and one of MCP's said to me, "You don't know what you're talking about H, they're worse than the blokes". He could well have been correct? <_<

E****g hilarious, I'll have to remember that one Anderoo. :D

Mr H. :)

Dear Anderoo, :)

Now don't you go being flippant re. the sanctity of women, 'Suzy Snatchpiece' indeed. Besides, you could offend our fellow member, he called 'Sportsman', who is of the none too humble opinion that women should be treated as a 'special case' [And by hell they most certainly are!!] considered as sacred beings & thus above all criticism. <_<

I worked overseas for some considerable time, an all male working environment it was, and one day we got talking about the relative behaviour of the sexes. I was taking the female corner [not literally I hasten to add] & and one of MCP's said to me, "You don't know what you're talking about H, they're worse than the blokes". He could well have been correct? <_<

E****g hilarious, I'll have to remember that one Anderoo. :D

Mr H. :)

Don't tar me with that bit of exercise book doodling - it's a direct quote from the press pack...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music