Playing fish with two hands on the rod

WickerDave

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah now..."the bells, the bells" I wear one of those in case I get lost in the fields :D

Peter W, I have also "made an attachment" so I can use the remote and watch myself on the video monitor, "so I can strike the correct pose" when playing fish

Peter S, surely you mean "wisible" or have I been watching to many films? :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Dear All,

Mr Sharpe, Mr Daubney and myself have been known on occasion to "pump" fish in with both hands hanging onto the rod for grim death. Of course, we are strapped into our stainless steel fighting chairs at the time. Great items of kit that come complete with explosive holding down bolts.

Some very big fish in the Trent ya'knows providing one knows where to find them! Nods as good as a wink to a blind man.

Regards,

Lee.

"Peter S, surely you mean "wisible" or have I been watching to many films?"

You've been watching too many films - either that or you have a speech defect :)

"Mr Daubney and myself have been known on occasion to "pump" fish in with both hands hanging onto the rod for grim death"

Did you both take it in turn to wind in? More importantly, did you bend and straighten your legs in unison? You must practice a lot because it could cause all kinds of problems if you weren't adequately synchronised. I'm sure there must be people who would pay handsomely to watch the video though. I just hope I don't know any of them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Dear Pete,

Another silly topic, double handled reels, saved the day completely for Graham and me. We simply cranked a handle a piece. In unison of course.

We have also been known to undertake synchronised barbel catching many a time. In "double" time to!!

I actually "do" have a video coming out shortly Pete. It’s called "Nice road shame about the mud" and depicts in graphic detail all the best spots for mud spotting. Areas to avoid sort of thing. No skippers either which is disappointing.

Regards,

Lee.

No Mud Skippers in the Trent!! I'm amazed, as virtually every other species seems to have found its way in. It's a shame really, as in the tidal river it would be handy to be able to place a bait above the water line.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Bruno,dont kow why you bothered posting mate!The most consice answer and no one seems to have read it! Supporting the rod with your "reel hand" halfway up the butt section has been a common tactic for safely applying a bit more pressure for years.First time I read it being discussed was by Dave Stuart in Angling back in the 70,s.Den,being one of the "in boys" of that era would no doubt remember it! Nothing to do with heavy tackle more about putting the pressure on with lighter tackle and more so the softer through action style of rod so popular with big fish anglers at the time.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

poledark:

Andy, are you being serious??Fingers creating weak spots?? What is that all this about??

Poledark. Don't be a bloody smartarse. I asked IF it could do any damage. A simple no would have sufficed.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy, back in the 1970's I had a small riverside tackle shop. We did have breakages and the East Anglian Rod Company of the time did blame the tactic of holding the rod above the handle. Things have moved on considerably since then but the theory, and it makes sense, was that the rod would flatten against the hand thus causing it to buckle at that point. Logical really!