Specimen Rudd (tactics,etc ?)

BigKev

hi guys, i'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to fish a very neglected and mature 40 acre gravel pit this summer that has been known to produce some specimen rudd, the largest i've heard of being a very respectable 2lb 9oz . the problem is i've never targeted big rudd before and am more used to less delicate methods (ok i'll admit it ..clumsier/heavier) fishing for tench, carp, pike . . i have an avon 12ft speci rod with a 0.5 or 0.75lb tc tip for float fishing and a 4000 stradic reel that i was going to load with 3 lb line (? it can be very weedy) any advice on baits / tactics and best weather conditions would be gratefully received ;)

Rudd will often feed high up in the water. I would not confess to being an expert but i have targeted them a few times. Lots of spraying maggots with maggot on the hook. Size 18 with double maggot 16 when they start getting confident. They tend to go around in showls alot and can move around alot. If you want the rudd i suggest be prepared to move swims a few times to find them. As i say i am by no means an expert but that has been my tactic in the past and it has worked.

Guest tigger
hi guys, i'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to fish a very neglected and mature 40 acre gravel pit this summer that has been known to produce some specimen rudd, the largest i've heard of being a very respectable 2lb 9oz . the problem is i've never targeted big rudd before and am more used to less delicate methods (ok i'll admit it ..clumsier/heavier) fishing for tench, carp, pike . . i have an avon 12ft speci rod with a 0.5 or 0.75lb tc tip for float fishing and a 4000 stradic reel that i was going to load with 3 lb line (? it can be very weedy) any advice on baits / tactics and best weather conditions would be gratefully received ;)

I've found the night shift is the best time to catch large Rudd. Actually most of the large Rudd I've caught have been whilst float fishing for Tench.....on the bottom with corn and maggot !! If the weathers good floating bread or Caster can be good or fishing just under the float. I think the best bait for them is maggot/corn. Maybe just fish for the Tench and see what happens at worst you should get a Tench or two. Good luck!

Edited by tigger

I've found the night shift is the best time to catch large Rudd. Actually most of the large Rudd I've caught have been whilst float fishing for Tench.....on the bottom with corn and maggot !! If the weathers good floating bread or Caster can be good or fishing just under the float. I think the best bait for them is maggot/corn. Maybe just fish for the Tench and see what happens at worst you should get a Tench or two. Good luck!

Hi

I would recommend using a waggler float with the shot fished shirt button style; make sure your float is as small as possible. Depending on the depth of water, I would fish no deeper than 6 feet in deep water and even as shallow as 3 feet in shallower water

when you cast feather the line so the whole rig lands in a straight line, fire out 12 maggots before each cast land your rig in the area, your bait will fall slowly throw the maggots you fired out and hopefully be taken on the drop, let the float settle if its not taken, leave for a few minuets, if no bite, retrieve and repeat. You will need a few pints of maggots and will have to be prepared to move if you don't find the fish.

I sometimes take some bread to throw out to float, if there are Rudd about they will start to pluck at the bread, this can be a good way of finding were the Rudd are, note of caution, be careful that the wind can not blow the bread out of casting range as it can take the fish with it!

Size 14-18 hook depending how big the Rudd go in your water, I prefer fishing single maggot as I find they will take it more confidently than double (most of the time) 3lb main line will be ok I would use 2lb hook link and a match rod.

once you have them feeding you can really bag up, it is also worth trying larger baits once they are on the feed, you can sometimes pick up a bigger fish, also leave it a bit longer in the swim before retrieving , Sweet corn can be good or bread or even worm.

One other thing bites can be lightening fast so be ready, they can hit your bait almost as soon as it hits the water, it is also for this reason I recommend you put your feed in before each cast and not after the cast.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you get on.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Hello BigKev,

The advice given by bluerinse is excellent but I have had some of my biggest rudd by using floating chum mixer or floating bread crust - it definitely seems to pick out the bigger fish. Sometimes on a pit you can actually stalk the big rudd and target individuals. I would catapult out a few free offerings first and get them feeding before actually casting to the fish.

thanks for the input , i'm looking forward to trying for them ...watch this space ;)

I've got a similar plan forming! I'd recommend sweetcorn over maggots, especially if there are loads of small fish. Floatfish shallow and aim to catch on the drop, at dusk. I was thinking of adding some kind of bouyancy (yellow foam, etc.) so that the hookbait sinks ever so slowly to eek out each cast...

I remember Andy Little writing about rudd fishing at Frensham small pond, using a yellow mini boilie under a float, so he could avoid all the small ones.

Waiting for dusk also means you can see where they're topping - that's the location bit sorted anyway!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Rudd will often feed high up in the water. I would not confess to being an expert but i have targeted them a few times. Lots of spraying maggots with maggot on the hook. Size 18 with double maggot 16 when they start getting confident. They tend to go around in showls alot and can move around alot. If you want the rudd i suggest be prepared to move swims a few times to find them. As i say i am by no means an expert but that has been my tactic in the past and it has worked.

get mobile!, Rudd like bream shoal up, so move about to get on them. The most success i've had, has been when getting them to come up in the water. So as previously suggested maggots, little an often, get them competing in the upper layers, then pull out the better fish by switching to corn. This tactic has worked really well for me in the past..... tight lines!!!!

[/size]http://www.anytackle.co.uk

Matt the carp hunter