Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

I like my reels to be as vibe-free as poss and so I've become rather a fan of double-handled fixed-spool reels, or at least balanced 1.5-handled reels.

__________ Posted Image

But, since for example Shimano gave double-handled f-s reels a big boost about 10 years ago or whenever it was, I have noticed a trend away from double-handled reels.

Which you you prefer, and, most importantly, why, because personally I don't find any probs with doubled-handled ones..... nice 'n' smooth ... virtually vibe-free ... what's the prob :confused:

DG

[ 23. March 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definately prefer double handled reels. As you say they are more balance but equally importantly to me is that you don't need to grope around as much fumbling for a single handle when stalking etc.

Paul

Yep, double-handled for me too. For the same reasons as Paul pretty much; balance and ease of use in tricky situations.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Double handle definitely. I think they're better balanced than the singles and they feel smoother, but whether this is due to the handle or the fact that the GTE versions of my Shimanos are better specced than the RE's is open to debate. I've got a Sahara 3000 RE and I do like it, but I've also got the same reel as a twin handled GTE and it's the GTE that is the first choice every time. Also I find you can crank a twin handle harder and easier than a single, a bit like using a can opener.

I also like the fighting drag on the GTEs, very useful.

Leon Roskilly:

I like double-handed   :)  

We're talking about reels :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Sorry to go against the flow here and I'm probably completely talking out of my rear drag knob here(never having owned a "double"), but they just don't look right to me. Guess I've been fishing with the old Mitchell 300s for far too long,

Jim.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Murray:

Sorry to go against the flow here and I'm probably completely talking out of my rear drag knob here(never having owned a "double"), but they just don't look right to me. Guess I've been fishing with the old Mitchell 300s for far too long,

Jim.

Well Jim, you should try one! Oh, and by the way, I am alone on this planet in absolutely hating those old Mitchells with their weird handle that vibrates and reaches parts that other reels can't reach :confused:

Also, very interested to read (thanks for the feedback, guys 'n' gals) of so many pro-double-handled f-s reel fans. Maybe I've been dreaming, but I was sure I'd read many a comment over recent years where anglers have gone-back to single-handled reels :confused:

DG

P.S. Of course multiplier reels and centre-pins have had double-handles for millennia .. and they look OK surely, Jim?

________ Posted Image

[ 23. March 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]