Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

Who says multipliers have had double handles for millenia then? Why, its that young Diamond bloke, the one who wasn't around when the early ABU Ambassadeurs and DAM Millionairs were introduced, both having single handles!! Strangely the reels of my early youth, the ABU Records, had double handles. Fashion is a fickle beast!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by RUDD:

If double-handed handles are that good, why do the top of the range Shimano Twin-Power and the Shimano Big Pit reels have single handles?

And the answer is, please ?????

DG :confused:

[ 24. March 2004, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by ajp:

Never tried a double handle, not going to either, don't like the look of them, in fact I'm going to stick with my Mitchells, although I do prefer the slightly longer handle on the 410 to the 300.

John,

Not a very helpful or constructive reply there If you haven't used a double-handled reel, surely it's impossible for you to comment or compare.

On the other hand, I used to own a Mitchell

________ Posted Image

and I found it rather quaint, clunky and querky ,,,, a good work-horse but certainly not vibe-free, and I thought the handle mount was more than a tad antedeluvian .... gave it away to a Jumble Sale .... wouldn't do that with my double-handled Shimanos

DG

Is that a new rule?

*All posts must be constructive*

quote:

Originally posted by DG

Which you you prefer, and, most importantly, why ?

quote:

originally posted by ajp

Never tried a double handle...... don't like the look of them,

You may not like my reasons DG but I ain't changing 'em just for the sake of making a more constructive post. :P

Jim Murray:

Sorry to go against the flow here and I'm probably completely talking out of my rear drag knob here(never having owned a "double"), but they just don't look right to me. Guess I've been fishing with the old Mitchell 300s for far too long,

Jim.

At last, a true connoiseur :)

I've got counter-balanced reels, and I've used double handled reels, but the Mitchell 300A is my reel of choice everytime. To make a simile, it's a vintage Rolls Royce compared to a Ford Mondeo - and I know which one I prefer :)

Tight lines, whichever reel you choose

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

quote:

Originally posted by John S:

I've got counter-balanced reels, and I've used double handled reels, but the Mitchell 300A is my reel of choice everytime.

To make a simile, it's a vintage Rolls Royce compared to a Ford Mondeo - and I know which one I prefer :)

By pure coincidence, John, I was also thinking of a motoring analogy .... and I would say that the Mitchell 300 is more like the Morris 1000 of reels

__________________________________ Posted Image :D

DG

[ 25. March 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

If double-handed handles are that good, why do the top of the range Shimano Twin-Power and the Shimano Big Pit reels have single handles?

And the answer is, please ?????

DG    :confused:  

I dont have a clue.

On the big pit reels it may be because of the power ratio. They are powerfull cranking reels.

Having the big single handles probably makes cranking/reeling in a big fish at distance easier.

As for the twin power models, even less of a clue!

The cheaper stradic models have double handles.

Baitrunner GTES have double handles and the RE models dont for some reason, probably the retail cost side of things.

It cant cost that much more to produce a double handle.

You can order single or double handles from Shimano if you dont like the one you get with the model of reel you buy.

There is another manufacturer who supplies a single and a double handle with some of their models but I cant remember who.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

quote:

quote:

And the answer is, please ????? DG :confused:
I don't have a clue.

On the big pit reels it may be because of the power ratio. They are powerful cranking reels.

Having the big single handles probably makes cranking/reeling in a big fish at distance easier.

As for the twin power models, even less of a clue!

The cheaper Stradic models have double handles.

Baitrunner GTES have double handles and the RE models don't for some reason, probably the retail cost side of things.

It can't cost that much more to produce a double handle.

You can order single or double handles from Shimano if you don't like the one you get with the model of reel you buy.

There is another manufacturer who supplies a single and a double handle with some of their models but I can't remember who.

Thanks v much for that input of ideas, Rudd

Food for thought there!

Personally, and as I've already said (above), I'd guess that it's mainly when constantly casting & retrieving e.g. when you're lure-fishing, that the double-handle and less vibration comes into its own.

DG

[ 25. March 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

the reason the gte's have double handles and the re models dont is simply to try and accentuate the difference between them, ie to make the gte look like its worth the extra money (which it is )

quote:

Originally posted by ajp:

Is that a new rule?

All posts must be constructive

Nope. I don't make the rules, here ... Elton does

But I think he allows humour,viz.

__________ Posted Image

May I have my Mr Grumpy hat back when you've finished with it, please?

Posted Image

DG

[ 25. March 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]