Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

quote:

Originally posted by GlennB:

And as for drag .... Personally, it seems sensible to set it on the light side and use finger pressure at first. But that means your fingers are at the front end, and then a front drag seems more convenient.

Don't you find that the line running off the spool gets in the way when you're trying to adjust your front drag? ... no such problem with a rear-drag set-up

DG

[ 28. March 2004, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of my fly reels have single handles Pete.These vary from cheap LEEDA LC's to very expensive Hardy models.I should imagine that this is because handles can catch the line when you "shoot" when casting.In fact a lot of Fly fishermen fish with their reels "wrong handed" ie even if they are right handed and cast with the right hand they have the handle on the right side to prevent the line catching and put up with winding cack handed.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D:

I definitely prefer double-handled reels .... they are more balanced but equally importantly to me is that you don't need to grope around as much fumbling for a single handle when stalking etc.

Yup, Paul

I think that sums-up my opinions too There's no cost penalty either, is there, really?

DG

Went and bought myself a big pit reel for the beach today. Played with a number of reels, both single and double handled. On a beach reel, where the knob of the handle goes through a wide rotation, I felt that there was a tendancy for the second knob to catch on my cuff. Gave 'em all a high-speed burn-up! No probs with wobble! Bought a single handle job in the end, felt happier with it. A little less clumsey perhaps.

Peter, c'mon mate, own up...you really bought that reel for a bit of crafty carp fishing didn't you?

You can rest assured that we will keep your little secret :D ..............

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Actually I decided to be a little bit more serious about bass and flattie fishing this summer since I'm being squeezed off my local piking waters by the sheer numbers!! I like wide open spaces and a lack of people when I'm fishing, selfish begger that I am! Got to give those fish strips a good try, the ones that experts like Elton use.