Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

the front drags on Mitchell 300 reels were crap. The main problem when using light lines was the extra inertia required to get the drag slipping. This meant that the drag had to be set a lot lighter than needed. Henceforth why back-winding became the prefered method of playing fish. Or as Den says using the finger to apply more pressure.

The later 300s although having a slightly better drag still left a lot to be desired. With them having a skirted spool you couldn't apply extra pressure so well so back-winding was still king.

The first challengers to the Mitchell were the ABU Cardinals, These had rear drags and were a lot better.

That should get fans of the old Morris 1000 Mitchell 300s going!! :D

DG

AJP I still use my 300S's for a lot of my fishing to.If I could only ever have one type of reel it would certainly be these.Good drags are nice but I can live with backwinding,baitrunners are good but "churning" caught plenty of fish.Admitedly the line lay on the new Shimmano reels is good but the Mitchells have always had superb line lay.This is one of the most important features that I look for on a fixed spool reel.

DG your comments about down thrust etc are of course quite correct,I was just being facieceous (er best spell check that too :D )Strange how a lot of us "Tackle Tarts" are "Car tarts" too

Any way as the man said back to reels.I suppose that the individuals opinion as to what is best ie front or rear drag,single or double handle is very much down to how he/she uses them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

I suppose that the individual's opinion as to what is best i.e. front or rear drag, single or double handle, is very much down to how he/she uses them.

Agree 100% .... but what I'm really interested in, is peeps' reason(s) for their choice of single or double-handle. If there's not much of a cost differential (NO, not an LSD :rolleyes: ), then I can't grasp what anyone could have against a double-handle :confused:

If I'm going to be a proper double-handled tackle-tart, I'm gonna have to get me a Shimano Sustain at £4million or whatever it costs now :D

DG

P.S. Yup, I guess like you I'm an auto-tart too. Sold my Sport Quattie to get an F Mondial, and that to get an N Skyline and had hardly any trouble with PC Plod because the Skyline just looks like a big saloon. The GT3 RS arrives on 6 April ... and I am expecting to have to concentrate on keeping out of trouble. ... a Noble came past me the other day .. can't be many of them around!

[ 27. March 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

That should get fans of the old Morris 1000 Mitchell 300s going!! :D

DG

Oi! Vintage Rolls Royce if you please, though I will accept favourable comparisons to Bristols or Jensen :)

If you want a Morris 1000 of reels, look at the Intrepid Prince Regent. Almost everything about it was just naff. The Black Prince was, of course, a Trabbant, (sorry Chesters).

[i still have my old Intrepid BP and PR reels, and still use the latter on occasions :rolleyes: ]

To be honest I've never had any problem with the drag on my 300A, but I prefer to err on the safe side anyway, setting the drag well within the limits of the (weaker) hooklength.

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

quote:

Originally posted by rob.i:

the reason I don't use the double handle is that I found it unusual after many years of using single-handled reels

Thanks for that feedback, Rob

Yes, I guess a double-handled reel can seem unusual at first, but I found that I soon got used to it .... after-all, centre-pins have two handles and that seems to be quite natural when you use them.

DG

[ 28. March 2004, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]