Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

I probably couldn't tell the difference but single handed reels look better and they must be lighter. The weight of a rod/reel is very important if you hold your rod all day. Not so important if its sitting on a pod I guess.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really don't mind. I have both and have no preference. I think the alleged balance factor is immaterial. Do we ever allow our fixed spools to run freely at such a speed that it becomes noticable? I can wind either my Mitchell 300 pro-X's or ABU Suverans, both with single handles, and do I detect wobble? No mate, smooth as a pint of Boddingtons!! The US market, apparently prefers single handles, and those guys lure fish from dawn to dusk. The UK market, where the rod spends 99% of its life in a rest or a pod, demands double handles for the nebulous reason that it provides better balance, which it might, but does it matter?

[ 23. March 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Have to agree with Peter, even on the old Mitchells the wobble was never a problem. *and* winky is right about weight and what's more I find even a single handle bulky when stored, surely a double would be worse(space in my rucksack is at a premium).

Would still like to try one if loaned, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Jim.

quote:

Originally posted by winky:

I probably couldn't tell the difference but single handed reels look better and they must be lighter. The weight of a rod/reel is very important if you hold your rod all day. Not so important if it's sitting on a pod I guess.

Totally agree about the rod/reel balance, but surely if you're holding your rod and casting & retrieving all day long, a reel that's vibe-free as poss is even better. By definition, a single-handled reel without any counter-balancing, is going to cause more vibration for example when you're lure-fishing?

DG

[ 23. March 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

well I've spent all day in the garden and extended me pole to a full 16 meters . . but I still can find this reel thing . .

which end is it at the thin or thick end :D

nah gotta be double handled for me - and normally shimano aswell (saying that I have only ever bought 3 of em)

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

By definition, a single-handled reel without any counter-balancing, is going to cause more vibration for example when you're lure-fishing?

Errrr - DG, how so?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The main advantage of a balanced double handled reel is that it will stay in the position that you set it when putting it on a rod rest while feeder and float fishing for example.

Unbalanced single handles tend to rotate until the handle is at the lowest point....can be annoying when setting a waggler.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

When UK anglers buy their fixed spool reels Newt they hark back to the olden day! We used to go and buy our centre-pins but first we would give them a mighty spin, we would then turn them over, no wobble and they were passed as okay, we paid our money.

Today we wind these egg beater type reels up to max revolutions and let go of the handle. Sort of thing that you do when you are fishing! The handle whizzes round and the slightest wobble is seen as unacceptable.

Some marketing genius came up with the two handled handle! The logic is that it helps balence the reel, logical really, can't argue with logic, ask Spock!!

That they can feel balenced with a single handle is illogical, therefore it can't be so, or can it?

Some people also believe double glazing salesmen and estate agents!!

poledark:

Unbalanced single handles tend to rotate until the handle is at the lowest point....can be annoying when setting a waggler.

Den

Thats true! One good point in their favour.

Den, just a thought. Do you fish with the anti-reverse on? I ask that but whether it would make a difference I don't know. I do fish still waters but that tends to be a rod in hand job. When I fish rivers it's not a problem but I see what you are getting at. My old K.P.Morritt Supreme used to do that when ledgering, used to really plague me. I'm not aware that it is a problem I have now unless I'm so used to it that I don't notice it. I'll let you know after the 16th!!

[ 23. March 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]