Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

By definition, a single-handled reel without any counter-balancing, is going to cause more vibration for example when you're lure-fishing?

Errrr - DG, how so?

If it's balance you are after, why stop with a double? Quad handles would balance better without that nasty gap where there was nothing.

Elementary engineering principles, my dear chap :rolleyes:

Rate these four images in terms of smoothness of operation, least vibration, etc ( I know which aircraft I'd like to be in )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

If it's balance you are after, why stop with a double? Quad handles would balance better without that nasty gap where there was nothing.

Yup, you were being cynical, but in fact, you're absolutely correct :D

DG

[ 25. March 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I 've just realised that, in posting these two images for comparison (and nostalgia), I may have inadvertently opened the door to the front-drag versus rear-drag debate   :rolleyes:  

DG

Why cant I see any images?

I have looked through the booklets that came with my shimanos. None of them mentions a thing about double handled reels.

Front verses rear drag reels?

Who cares? It all depends if you set the drag correctly in the first place.

If it is set correctly it will do the job it was designed to do.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

quote:

Originally posted by RUDD:

Why can't I see any images?

I have looked through the booklets that came with my shimanos. None of them mentions a thing about double handled reels.

I don't know why you can't see the images, although they are larger than normal, and, depending on your on-line download speed, make take a little longer than normal to become visible.

Re: Front verses rear drag reels? Who cares? Well, I do for one ... and in my opinion, one type is much easier to use than the other while you're tussling with a big fish. If you don't care, there's little point in posting :rolleyes:

Wanna borrow my hat when I get it back from ajp?

Posted Image

Of course there's the third type, centre-drag, which I also rate highly .. but then that's only my opinion, about which I guess you don't care :P

DG

[ 25. March 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

front drag for me...but I do own a couple of decent rear drag reels, and I have no problems when using them, but as you say DG, I find the front drag a lot easier to adjust when playing fish....

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

Originally posted by RUDD:

Why can't I see any images?

I don't know why you can't see the images, although they are larger than normal, and, depending on your on-line download speed, make take a little longer than normal to become visible.

Re: Front verses rear drag reels? Who cares? Well, I do for one ... and in my opinion, one type is much easier to use than the other while you're tussling with a big fish. If you don't care, there's little point in posting    :rolleyes:    

Wanna borrow my hat when I get it back from ajp?

Posted Image

Of course there's the third type, centre-drag, which I also rate highly .. but then that's only my opinion, about which I guess you don't care    :P    

DG

I dont need your grumpy hat, I have a grumpy wife!!!!!!!!!!

The point I was making was It doesnt matter if your reel has front or rear drag if you dont use/set it correctly!

The best drag system I have used is the Shimano fighting drag system (rear drag, you set the main drag and have a secondary thumb controlled drag to use while playing a fish without changing your main drag).

The only thing is that you should not need to change your drag if it is set correctly in the first place. :confused:

Is a centre drag the one that is on the handle of some types of reel? If so would a double handled reel have a double drag a bit like a fighting drag

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Guest sslatter

The Diamond Geezer:

Of course there's the third type, centre-drag, which I also rate highly ..

Hi DG..you mean like on a multiplier? Or on an ABU 601/704, for example? Or both?

[ 25. March 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

The only thing is that you should not need to change your drag if it is set correctly in the first place

Set Correctly

- which requires you set it with the amount of line off the spool that will resemble the condition after you cast out if you are fishing a static rig and is an impossibility if you are lure angling since no way to tell how much line will be out when you get a take.

- which requires you have the same amount of bend in the rod as you will with a fish on. Impossible unless you know exactly what size fish will take and pretty much what species as well.

[ 25. March 2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Graham X:

quote:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

Of course there's the third type, centre-drag, which I also rate highly ..

Hi DG..you mean like on a multiplier? Or on an ABU 601/704, for example? Or both?
Hi Graham

Sorry, I was really on-about fixed-spool reels, rather than multipliers whose drags are in a class of their own ... plus you can use your thumb on the spool ... impossible with f-s reels.

No, the centre-drag fixed-spool reel I have and use from time to time is Abu's Suveran Centre-drag .... and I rate it // I think it's got the best bits of front and rear drag combined ...but that's only my opinion ... and it hasn't got a double-handle and isn't a smooth and totally vibe-free as those that do e.g. Shimano Stradics and GTs etc

Cheers

DG

[ 25. March 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG you cant use your thumb on a F/S but you can use your finger tips or even the palm of your hand (on the big pit reels)

Sometimes I also "cup" the spool as well

I play nearly all my carp by using finger pressure on my 6000/8000 Aerlex's.

Great fun, not nearly as soulless as relying on the mechanics to do the work for you :D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic