Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

DG you cant use your thumb on a F/S but you can use your finger tips or even the palm of your hand (on the big pit reels)

Sometimes I also "cup" the spool as well

I play nearly all my carp by using finger pressure on my 6000/8000 Aerlex's.

Great fun, not nearly as soulless as relying on the mechanics to do the work for you :D

Den

True enough, Den .... I'd forgotten that, as I don't do it very often ... always a tad concerned about putting too much sideways pressure on the spindle ... OK on your big meaty reels though

DG

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by awaaar:

front drag for me...but I do own a couple of decent rear drag reels, and I have no problems when using them, but as you say DG, I find the front drag a lot easier to adjust when playing fish....

Aaahhh, awaaar ... but what about single-handled fixed-spool reels versus double-handled ones?

DG

quote:

Originally posted by RUDD:

The best drag system I have used is the Shimano fighting drag system (rear drag, you set the main drag and have a secondary thumb controlled drag to use while playing a fish without changing your main drag).

i.e. as my per pic,viz.

Posted Image

DG

Rear drag for me, every time. It just feels natural to me. In fact, a reel like in the picture DG would be ideal! :D Shimano, twin handle, rear drag WITH fighting drag! OOohhh it makes me go all gooey at the thought! :cool: :D

Bear in mind that the spool rotates x times faster than the handle (where x is the gear ratio) and any vibration is more likely caused by flex or looseness in the gear train than any 'imbalance' in the handle.

Also, any vibration that is caused at the handle end will relate to the pressure that your hand is exerting on the spindle , which is vastly greater than a few grammes imbalance caused by the lack of the 2nd handle or counterweight.

Maybe they tend to shove the spare handle on expensive reels - that wouldn't vibrate anyway - in order to make them look the part? Like useless spoilers on fast cars?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

quote:

Originally posted by DG

plus you can use your thumb on the spool ... impossible with f-s reels.

One of the reasons I stick with my old Mitchells is that you can use your finger on the back of the rotor, not possible of course with skirted spool reels (with one or two very rare exceptions)

You've no chance of ever getting hold of my hat DG.

I dont see how a single handed reel causes more vibration than a double handed. The bail arm probably causes more imbalance. and the fact that your handle turning hand is causing the greatest imbalance by pushing against your rod holding hand. No two handed handle is going to fix that. I think they are there to look good.

Much more like a spoiler on a slow car than on a fast car too :P

but you can't bat a fixed spool like you can a 'pin! And for that you don't any need handles.

Twin handles equate to a spoiler on a slow old banger! Rather like that one!!

But isn't a great deal of angling pleasure directly related to the enjoyment of ownership? Who could enjoy using an ugly reel? Apart from Chesters and his Elite!!

Who is going to market twin handles for updating Intrepid Standards then?

Just a quick coment.It has been mentioned that you can wind in quicker with double handles.Never rally noticed the diference to be honest,BUT with multipliers you can definately wind faster with the single handled ABUs's (good example being a pre 1980 6500C) by cocking your wrist than with the double knobed "power handles".

One thing I do have against double handles is they take up more room when carrying ready rigged rods in a sling.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

Originally posted by winky:

I don't see how a single-handled reel causes more vibration than a double-handled.

quote:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

Elementary engineering principles, my dear chap :rolleyes:

Rate these four images in terms of smoothness of operation, least vibration, etc ( I know which aircraft I'd like to be in )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DG

[ 26. March 2004, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]