Fred Crouch reels

Aaron1976

Hello everyone,

I think I'm going to give in and buy a pair of Fred Crouch reels, the Jet version which is the copy of the Allcocks Match Aerial. I've considered buying the originals - but good examples are so rare to find now, I think it might be easier to just buy the replicas. I had convinced myself that the wide version would be better as I understand the original version was quite narrow - some people are convinced it makes no difference, others think for trotting narrow is better, yet the wider version is better for ledgering.

The plan, if I have one(!), is to mainly use them for float work - although I like the idea of light ledgering with them some times. Just interested to hear your thoughts, were the original narrow reels a problem to work with?

Any help gratefully received, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts

Many thanks

Aaron

If your going to be using it mainly for trotting I'd stick with the narrow drum as in the origional (I prefere the narrow drum overall). My personal opinion would be to get an origional even though they aren't the cheapest of reels. They do come up occassionally on ebay in decent nick so if you bide your time you'll get one or a pair if you wish.

This one looks about the best of the bunch on ebay at the moment......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/S-Allcock-Match-Aeri...=item4cf4f23bf2

My preference is for wide spools, so I guess that that aspect of it is not particularly important, just get whatever you prefer.

I've never considered the ratchet on my Aerial to be strong enough for legering (on a river) and always use Grice and Youngs for that.

If you're going for the Crouch replicas I'd buy the narrow drums, the MA wasn't made in wide drum form so you may as well stick as close to the original as you can get.

My own preference, however, is for wide drum reels. I find it makes no difference when trotting but whenever I cast my narrow drum reels I end up with line around the handles or backplate. Better casters probably don't have the same problem.

Fred makes nice reels, you'll be pleased with them.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

To be honest I've never seen the advantage in wide drum reels unless you're after line capacity. Disadvantages with wide drums include extra weight and less even line lay, not really something you wish to think about when trotting and, if ledgering if you can cast far enough to require a wide drum then I take my hat off to you!

Never had any problems with a MA regarding ratchet strength. The springs are easy enough to tune (bend) to increase the drag!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

This one looks about the best of the bunch on ebay at the moment......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/S-Allcock-Match-Aeri...=item4cf4f23bf2

Hmm, is that the original ratchet button though? I thought Match Aerials all had cross buttons if that makes sense? Not like those seen on the Fred Crouch reels (which look like this type). Maybe its an age thing, earlier ones had different ratchet buttons to others...?

Hmm, is that the original ratchet button though? I thought Match Aerials all had cross buttons if that makes sense? Not like those seen on the Fred Crouch reels (which look like this type). Maybe its an age thing, earlier ones had different ratchet buttons to others...?

I have three allcocks match aerials, two have the three vaned ratchet button and one of them has the single vane. I think some where made with the one vaned and some the three vaned button. Maybe some have had replacement one's also, I don't know to be honest but I wouldn't worry about it personally so long as there was one on the reel.

That reel in the pic's on ebay doesn't look immaculate by any means but it looks in good nick to me.

Hello everyone,

I think I'm going to give in and buy a pair of Fred Crouch reels, the Jet version which is the copy of the Allcocks Match Aerial. I've considered buying the originals - but good examples are so rare to find now, I think it might be easier to just buy the replicas. I had convinced myself that the wide version would be better as I understand the original version was quite narrow - some people are convinced it makes no difference, others think for trotting narrow is better, yet the wider version is better for ledgering.

The plan, if I have one(!), is to mainly use them for float work - although I like the idea of light ledgering with them some times. Just interested to hear your thoughts, were the original narrow reels a problem to work with?

Any help gratefully received, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts

Many thanks

Aaron

I bought a Jet narrow drum reel in October 2010, I highly recommend it, I've used it light float fishing for Bream, Roach, Rudd, Carp and Perch, I've taken margin Carp over 20lbs on it and it was a blast controlling them with your thumb and 'some' side strain! The quality is excellent overall and Fred was very helpful on the phone when I had a slight hitch.

The 'hitch' being this, on the current Jet the ratchet is not reversible, it is supposed to be the same whichever hand you use to wind with but in my opinion (and I am a musician admittedly) it does not sound exactly the same in either direction and the tension is different too. I wanted to wind using my left hand but the way I received the reel it was INMHO set up for right hand winding, i.e. the drag was louder and more resistant to pressure when paying out line than when winding. I spoke to Fred about this and I 'fettled' it but it required some thought and a file. Now it is fine but if you can choose, mention which hand you wind with, otherwise buy with confidence.

I intend to go trotting with it at some point when the weather warms up and I have noticed in the short time of owning it that it has become even more free running, so hopefully it will be very good for that too. Rusty said that line can be a problem wrapping around the leg of the reel and I would agree but I think that this is a problem with all centrepins, the trick is to keep an eye on the line after casting etc. keep the ratchet on generally when not trotting. Fred offers a removable line guide, I wouldn't mind trying one as a I don't often 'bat' the hub when fishing close in, so maybe that is something to consider too.

One thing is for sure, apart from the excellent value of the reel there is a great back up service from Fred too.

Edited by Neuvy

Guest bbamboo

The only difference is Freds reels have a smooth back plate and the edge of the spool is flat were the originals are rounded over.

Never had a wide spool version but to be honest I dont see the need for what I do (river trotting)

Which ever one you go for there super reels mate.

The ratchet knobs changed on the originals in the end they returned to the first type as the replacements were cracking I got that info from a long conversation with Fred on the phone.

What a lovely guy by the way.

Gary