£5000 1st prize in whitby charter skippers summer festival

big_cod

Well N4lly, if we're seriously after conger I'd suggest at least an MTI 20-40 and a JX Loaded with 50lb PP and a rod length of 40lb mono accompanied by a 2' 250lb mono trace, a serious (200lb ball bearing) swivel and a 10/0 meat hook or similar.......20/30 should be ok but be prepared for some leaning back and swearing!

If none have ever been caught then they could be absolute monsters so I'll also take my 30-50 or even my 50-80 Atlantis and my 'Worms Special' 130lb class reel :P

If we're just piddling around with mid 20's ling I'll take a 3wt fly rod B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well N4lly, if we're seriously after conger I'd suggest at least an MTI 20-40 and a JX Loaded with 50lb PP and a rod length of 40lb mono accompanied by a 2' 250lb mono trace, a serious (200lb ball bearing) swivel and a 10/0 meat hook or similar.......20/30 should be ok but be prepared for some leaning back and swearing!

If none have ever been caught then they could be absolute monsters so I'll also take my 30-50 or even my 50-80 Atlantis and my 'Worms Special' 130lb class reel :P

If we're just piddling around with mid 20's ling I'll take a 3wt fly rod B)

3' it gives the skipper a chance to t bar off the rail without the lead hitting him up the side of the head, that's if it's a small one and the biggie has already come aboard for weighing in, for example, the weight of two or more halibuts or more. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

3' it gives the skipper a chance to t bar off the rail without the lead hitting him up the side of the head, that's if it's a small one and the biggie has already come aboard for weighing in, for example, the weight of two or more halibuts or more. :D

What, you mean you don't fish on boats with tuna doors? :P

Note: will make longer traces :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Somebody needs to educate the Whitby Charter Skippers on species fishing. The potential is huge at Whitby yet you will be lucky to get a skipper to steam away from traditional cod grounds. The kayak lads have pushed the boundaries of the inshore fishing where there is more species than you can shake a stick at, Ive seen pollack to almost 15lb in 20 foot of water and they swim like an exocet missile.

I doubt you will catch a conger but I would love for you to prove me wrong, but the potential for big Turbots, halibuts, Skate, Haddock, Pollack, monkfish etc etc etc is there as the commercial boats take them with regular occurrence.

One thing I will say, is that every year the skippers I talk to always talk about what could be possible, but its always just talk, no-one tries anything different, except (Rich Ward targets sharks, and Paul Eddon targets Pollcak).

Time to stop talking and start doing.

Edited by glennk

Somebody needs to educate the Whitby Charter Skippers on species fishing. The potential is huge at Whitby yet you will be lucky to get a skipper to steam away from traditional cod grounds. The kayak lads have pushed the boundaries of the inshore fishing where there is more species than you can shake a stick at, Ive seen pollack to almost 15lb in 20 foot of water and they swim like an exocet missile.

I doubt you will catch a conger but I would love for you to prove me wrong, but the potential for big Turbots, halibuts, Skate, Haddock, Pollack, monkfish etc etc etc is there as the commercial boats take them with regular occurrence.

One thing I will say, is that every year the skippers I talk to always talk about what could be possible, but its always just talk, no-one tries anything different, except (Rich Ward targets sharks, and Paul Eddon targets Pollcak).

Time to stop talking and start doing.

Its what your customers want glen you give them if they want which is most of the time cod i target pollock regulary if the lads want them there is tons of them here if the south coast had cod in abundance all year round i know just what the skippers on south coast would be doing the majority of the time targetting cod its what 95% of anglers want we are exceptionally lucky here to have cod here all year round certain times of the year they can become difficult to catch but they are still there .

There is one thing which ankhoring wrecks has got me buzzing about and that is targetting turbot they is plenty here the commercial lads gets stacks of them and brill my old mate andy marr a few years ago here missed the turbot record with less than a 1lb his turbot was over 32lb caught on the 4 mile here i hope you lads do get a conger i had 3 last year but no size biggist 14lb the biggist i saw here was over 150lb caught by one of the trawlers and that was on ground not wreck but one of my buddies who dives regualary through the summer on wrecks out as far 6 mile says he never saw a congler last year plenty of ling but no conger brian is a very experiencd diver being doint it for over 35 years and knows what fish is what all the same good luck with your quest.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I have heard from two or three sources up there of guys loosing bigger fish on the wrecks. In the winter, conger will go travelling on rough ground, in particular shallow water. Don't know why. So this 150lb conger was on it's own then? I have heard of rather large ling on the wrecks, no one fishes for them?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I have heard from two or three sources up there of guys loosing bigger fish on the wrecks. In the winter, conger will go travelling on rough ground, in particular shallow water. Don't know why. So this 150lb conger was on it's own then? I have heard of rather large ling on the wrecks, no one fishes for them?

The 150lb conger barry was caught in 160ft of water that was over 10 years ago the 30lb ling are now a lot less common i had many over 30lb off ground i had some cracking little hot spots for big lings off the ground where i could nail them but you only caught them at the exact stage of tide usually either side of slack but its the old story these are old fish and it takes time to reach that age the 27lb ling we got dureing the summer festival was caught just as the tide started to flood beleive me when iam fishing for ling on a wreck i torture them you have to get either side of slack to nail one i plonk the lines in every cranny of the wreck no stones unturned i takes great skill to put the lines in the right spot depending on tide ,wind, etc my lads use no less than 100lb traces in the festivals its a lot of years since i have been smashed by a fish i couldnt bring to the surface if you have the right end gear on you wont lose them i have had 30lb plus cod bait fishing and they do take off again if i hadnt had the strong trace line i would have been smashed.

Bait fishing wrecks has been done its not the late new john uttley did it in the 80ss john was a caracter he allways love fishing very light i remember crewing with him and he got a 16lb on wreck with 12 lb line john ankored wrecks he fished for england and did a lot of fishing on the south coast fishing for congers he told me the catch rates made no difference ankhoring but in them days the wrecks were amass with fish maybe nowadays you could have success nailing a better fish with the ankhor down i know where the lads who are netting get the turbuts that is something i am considering now that would be something else nailing a few of those up here that would make the headlines.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

This is where i find it difficult as i have fished south coast and even the western approaches for ling and can take them over a full tide. Is it a local thing then?

As for light line, this is a foto of a fish on my mates boat, there are two guys down there, this is one of them and the detail is correct. He missed out on the USA record as the line needed to be sent to America to be tested, instead it was tested elswhere, so the Americans wouldn't ratify it. I do know that these two guys are trying for a ton up using 16lb line at the mo.

http://homepages.rya-online.net/spedley/records.htm

I can't wait to have a go at this. Never caught Turbot or Brill and my Ling record's a paltry 10lber. Had a few fish yesterday mind, no rays but conger and spurs aplenty. Biggest spur 13 1/2lb. We lost two decent conger (for the Bristol Channel), a 40+ at the boat and a rather larger one on an uptide rod....bugger, why didn't it take my downtide bait? More details soon!

Edited by Worms