£5000 1st prize in whitby charter skippers summer festival

big_cod

Its what your customers want glen you give them if they want which is most of the time cod i target pollock regulary if the lads want them there is tons of them here if the south coast had cod in abundance all year round i know just what the skippers on south coast would be doing the majority of the time targetting cod its what 95% of anglers want we are exceptionally lucky here to have cod here all year round certain times of the year they can become difficult to catch but they are still there .

If 95% of anglers want to target cod, all I can say is that 95% of anglers have never sampled the fight given by a good sized pollack on light tackle. Ive had cod to 22lb with yourself and pollack to 10lb from the kayak. If you gave me a choice of the 2, the pollack would win hands down. There is no other fish like them in UK waters.

As for what customers want. Heres a question. When your phone rings on an evening and the lads book in. Do you ask them what they want to fish for, or do you say bring plenty of shads and squid ?

Im not against cod fishing, I thoroughly enjoy it, but its not the be all and end all of fishing on our coast. Nip on our forum and ask the kayakers what they prefer to target. We have good inshore cod fishing but most people are just passing time waiting for June And July when the bass and pollack arrive.

jellyworms-pollack-9-8.jpg

11-06-pollack.jpg

pollack-mike.jpg

pollack-yo-zuri.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recognise those cliffs in the photos and can make out Huntcliffe in the background and its within the travelling limits of my little craft so who knows?

I'll be putting in some hours this year attempting to catch tope from Redcar and I'm pretty confident of doing it, we've had them before in years gone bye, admittedly in nets so it should'nt be too hard to remember when and where and try and get a bait to where I think they'll be, the chartplotter and sounder should help though

Bass and pollack fishing is still something new to the area I fish from and for those that just put their cod goggles on ( and I'm sometimes guilty of that ) they don't know what they're missing, lure fishing for bass from a boat with 8lb mono and freshwater spinning gear is great sport but even better than that is fishing for crash diving pollack, catch them in shallow water and they go off sideways at a rate of knots you just struggle to believe

I'll be doing a lot of live launce fishing under a float this year for the bigger bass and pollack but of the two the pollack win hands down every time, if I never caught another bass but only fished for pollack I would'nt be in the least bit sorry as they're a much better angling experience, if I was Mick on Sea Urchin thats what I'd be heavily advertising a pollack only day and he'd be full in no time

The inshore waters up here have yet to be fully tapped into but I believe when folk eventually get their heads round exactly what can be caught with a slightly different approach and tactics then I think we'll see an angling revolution and an upsurge in folk wanting to go sea fiahing

Plastics and lures are'nt the first choice of most who go afloat but they really need to try new ways of fishing if for nothing else just to re invigorate themselves in their fishing ways, once you try it theres no going back to the dark side

I can't wait to have a go at this. Never caught Turbot or Brill and my Ling record's a paltry 10lber. Had a few fish yesterday mind, no rays but conger and spurs aplenty. Biggest spur 13 1/2lb. We lost two decent conger (for the Bristol Channel), a 40+ at the boat and a rather larger one on an uptide rod....bugger, why didn't it take my downtide bait? More details soon!

Turbot did you say Worms. :lol:005.jpg

Bout three years ago i caught a wreck brill, dropped a shad straight down it's gob. It was fully rowed up, Cleaned it on the boat, took it home and weighed it gutted, ten pounds it was. My skipper mate who missed that trip called me a d!ck and said that was a fish of a lifetime, why didn't i weigh it aboard. Perhaps i was too eager to take it home and eat it. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Turbot did you say Worms. :lol:005.jpg

Bout three years ago i caught a wreck brill, dropped a shad straight down it's gob. It was fully rowed up, Cleaned it on the boat, took it home and weighed it gutted, ten pounds it was. My skipper mate who missed that trip called me a d!ck and said that was a fish of a lifetime, why didn't i weigh it aboard. Perhaps i was too eager to take it home and eat it. :D

Who cares about records? :D

I have to agree with the previous pollack posts, even though my only cod have been tiddlers an equal sized pollack gives 3 times the fight...I just love that crash-diving experience!

And, bass? a split cane Allcock's 'Lightcaster', a Mitchell 300 and a Toby lure and you've got some serious fun :P

p.s. Nice fish Barry!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Wern't a record Worms, 16lb i think the record is.

This guy was with Bob Shotter yesterday. Got another foto to upload, back in a tick. :Dhttp://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s126/ba...ux/bobstrip.jpg

bobstrip2.jpg

Fishes with Bob regular, guys name is Andy Butler. Looks like they had a good day, Bob's told me he is doing a write up for his web site but we have seen these ist. Privileged we are.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Now that's a good meal for the family......and in my opinion nicer than cod!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Now that's a good meal for the family......and in my opinion nicer than cod!

I prefer fillets of Pollock as it has a bit of a taste compared with cod.

oh oh, the c/r guys will be incensed B)

Who cares about records? :D

I have to agree with the previous pollack posts, even though my only cod have been tiddlers an equal sized pollack gives 3 times the fight...I just love that crash-diving experience!

And, bass? a split cane Allcock's 'Lightcaster', a Mitchell 300 and a Toby lure and you've got some serious fun :P

p.s. Nice fish Barry!

Bass wrecking, the french at the top end of the channel use fresh water rod, small fixed spool 8lb main line, 2 ounce drilled bullet with live sandeel, dragged over the top of the wreck, really good at it they are, iv'e tried but need a bit more practice.

I prefer fillets of Pollock as it has a bit of a taste compared with cod.

oh oh, the c/r guys will be incensed B)

Shame! B)

I'm full of fish as we speak Barry, rock salmon with orange and tomato sauce and nice crusty bread...stuffed!

Poor thing took an 8/0 in the gills and a 6/0 in one eye meant for conger (just in case the c+r crowd object).....one thing I have against uptiding, by the time the fish his moved the lead it's too late, more chance of spotting early small nibbles on downtiding gear. I changed to single hook rigs after that and concentrated on the downtider!