i got a wieght issue...

dean in devon

cheers all for the quick replys,

i wanted to get some matt finish, i used green myself lat year and caught quite a lot for my first year fishing by my self (not with the old man)

i'll be going to staffordmoor on march 5th, fishing off beaties lake (first time on this lake) i'll be taking my best mate, it's for his birthday, and we doing just over 24 hours,

i wanted to make sure that everything will make our catches easier, last year i was catch carp after carp after carp and a few cats, so i guess it was working but i was thinking maybe somimes a shine or a glint from the wieghts could of scared some of them, i only fished from march last year till may due to working all the time in the summer,

in anycase does anyone buy online for wieghts as i am tending to find £1.30 a tad bit expensive for 1 wieght, and my mate aint exactly he best fisherman, i been doing for 18 years this year, so i got an idea on what i am doing when i do it lol, i just know he will do somthing to lose my wieghts lol as all new fishermen do.

Edited by dean in devon

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's your Pallatrax sponsership out of the window Mat :lol:

Anderoo, have you ever had a traumatic experience with a Pallatrax Rep or there products?

Do they seem to be your target of choice when knocking the Carp machine :D

I do hate to see Pallatrax get a knocking as I had high hopes of getting a job as a Consultant with them :lol:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dean I can safely say ignore all the rubbish you've read/heard re leads frightening fish or the fish picking up on the "electrical current between the hook and the lead" or any other such rubbish dreamed up by the carp "experts" whilst laid stoned on their bed chairs! Its tosh! Tosh (as Anderoo says) designed to sell gear or magazines. Far more important things to think about!

To get confidence just watch a few fish react (or rather "not react"!) to your lead in some clear water..........your water not clear enough for you to see? then good chance the fish cant either! Fish just aren't clever enough (or even feel the need it seems) to differentiate between an anglers weight and a stone yet alone associate them with danger.Ive even seen (when experimenting with them) carp try to suck "flavoured"/"attractor leads in!

That said Ive got all sorts of different colour leads! some with smooth finishes some textured some with "weed" stuck on them,some with sand.........................but that's only because I think they look pretty! Even the shiniest of new leads will soon go dull (if you cant wait (no pun intended!) then the old tip of sticking in vinegar for a few minutes is often advised to "dull" them but I don't know as Ive never had to do it!

If more anglers spent more time looking in the water rather in magazines it would be a lot harder for the "carp machine" to lead them up the garden path and part them with their wonga!

I have actually witnessed Carp attacking my 45g Flat Method feeder as it sinks to the bottom. To mess with them we didn't load it with any bait and they still kept trying to suck it in (Maybe it still smells of bait?)....

It seems a ledger/feeder visually has little impact on the fish at all. And in my example above... They saw the feeder, knew what it contained... and clearly didn't associate it with any danger. In fact they saw the splash of it entering the water more like a dinner bell!

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I have actually witnessed Carp attacking my 45g Flat Method feeder as it sinks to the bottom. To mess with them we didn't load it with any bait and they still kept trying to suck it in (Maybe it still smells of bait?)....

It seems a ledger/feeder visually has little impact on the fish at all. And in my example above... They saw the feeder, knew what it contained... and clearly didn't associate it with any danger. In fact they saw the splash of it entering the water more like a dinner bell!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I must admit to having a soft spot for Camo objects but as others have said doubt it make much difference with weights.

Back in my youth, many moons ago I painted a set of leads in attractive camo patterns.

Black and White Zebra print and orange and green fire tiger pattern. Still caught using them, but did get strange looks from other anglers.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Anderoo, have you ever had a traumatic experience with a Pallatrax Rep or there products?

Do they seem to be your target of choice when knocking the Carp machine :D

I do hate to see Pallatrax get a knocking as I had high hopes of getting a job as a Consultant with them :lol:

You've got no chance mate! To be a consultant today it seems you have to be under 15 years old and only fished for a few years.If you have some other "unusual" feature it also helps.

I know a 12 year old transsexual albino who is in a wheel chair and suffers from Dyslexia who once read a carp fishing magazine who the various tackle/bait companies and magazines are fighting over to sign up...........

NB: Budgies legal advisers would like to point out that he is not suggesting that if you are of altered gender,pigmentally challenged,of limited mobility or just "special" that you can not enjoy angling or have a valid contribution to tackle design.

PS Did I mention they are Eastern European as well? :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Tee hee!

Pallatrax do irritate me more than the rest, but I won't go into why here. I only mentioned them before because they make the (pointless) stonze. All of it (the rig bits, the special bait, the camo, etc.) just serves to distract new anglers from what's actually useful and important to know, and to empty their pockets, and it just leaves me feeling a bit deflated.

A great deal is made of having little edges and clever new ways to tweak rigs or subtle new flavours of boilies so you can outfish everyone else on your lake, whereas in fact almost everyone is doing exactly the same thing, legering with a boilie on the deck and a bolt rig behind it. All the little edges and clever rigs and new irresistable bait makes no difference whatsoever 99% of the time, but it's very tempting to try to buy success!

The reason I asked about water clarity is that if the water is gin clear and you are fishing for a handful of spooky carp, it makes sense to do what you can to keep everything subtle. If the water is coloured and/or if there's a high stocking density (and the two are usually connected) you're probably better off not worrying about it.

Sorry Dean, I've gone off on another rant :rolleyes: If you're going somewhere with plenty of fish and with a mate who will probably lose a load of leads, I'd get the cheapest I could find and not care what they look like!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Tee hee!

Pallatrax do irritate me more than the rest, but I won't go into why here. I only mentioned them before because they make the (pointless) stonze. All of it (the rig bits, the special bait, the camo, etc.) just serves to distract new anglers from what's actually useful and important to know, and to empty their pockets, and it just leaves me feeling a bit deflated.

A great deal is made of having little edges and clever new ways to tweak rigs or subtle new flavours of boilies so you can outfish everyone else on your lake, whereas in fact almost everyone is doing exactly the same thing, legering with a boilie on the deck and a bolt rig behind it. All the little edges and clever rigs and new irresistable bait makes no difference whatsoever 99% of the time, but it's very tempting to try to buy success!

The reason I asked about water clarity is that if the water is gin clear and you are fishing for a handful of spooky carp, it makes sense to do what you can to keep everything subtle. If the water is coloured and/or if there's a high stocking density (and the two are usually connected) you're probably better off not worrying about it.

Sorry Dean, I've gone off on another rant :rolleyes: If you're going somewhere with plenty of fish and with a mate who will probably lose a load of leads, I'd get the cheapest I could find and not care what they look like!

Noted... in fact, to the point that it seems un-healthy bordering on the obsessive! I'd be jolly carefull you don't let it give you an ulcer!

Your reply, similar to another on here is a massive contradiction! Firstly, you slate Pallatrax (we all know the reasons why, do a search and you've mentioned it at least 15 times :rolleyes: ) and the "pointless" stonze comment is thrown in with gay abandon due to your 'AR' obsession. However, you then state in the next paragraph that "it makes sense to do what you can to keep everything subtle (read as camo'd)" ..... what could be more subtle (read as camo'd) than a stone as a weight?

A stone is a stone. A stonze is a stone weight. Same use as a lead and a lot more "subtle".......

As for suggesting that a cheap lead would be best if someone is going to lose a load of leads I find quite concerning that someone with a fondess for the environment and nature and despises the capitalist and commercial nature of the sport is condoning the dumping of a toxic weight into the water we anglers care for... where as, if they took up an earlier suggestion of making their own stone weights then they could lose as many as they like without fear for the enivronment they fish in..Yes, even a commercial money grabbing company representative says, make your own if you want to.... just don't try selling them though... they patented :D

One last point, directly for you Andrew. Your hero, Tony Miles, could get a bait deal with just about any company he could care to choose and probably be paid by some of them as well. For your information, it is his own choice to use Pallatrax bait and tackle and does not get paid a single penny for doing it either! Oh and if your interested, no other regular Pallatrax users are paid either.

I've sat and read your un-healthy obsession for a while and this is the first and last time I will discuss/reply to a thread concerning Pallatrax with you on this forum.... suffice to say, Pallatrax is a business, fishing magazines and the industry as a whole are commercial enterprises and 99% of the people in them are trying to earn a living.... All of the regular contributors place product, wear logos, discuss their 'sponsors' bait and tackle in their articles (granted, some more than others). If they did'nt, how can they market a product and make the business a success? I picked up a copy of TCF this week, blatant product placement through out it, even bottles being thrust towards the camera... did it put me off? Nope, it's interesting to see what other consistently good anglers use. And for the record, not a Pallatrax one amongst them!

Elton referred to capitalism and commercial needs in one of your (many) previous posts on the subject and I simply refer you to the same point.

This website and forum is 'littered' with adverts and product placement and quite frankly I must say that the level that Elton achieves is quite amazing.... does seeing an advert for a car insurance company on a fishing website fill you with such emotional turmoil?

We get the picture, you don't like Pallatrax, you don't like the commercial aspect of fishing. Time to move on before you end up making yourself ill.

Tight lines

Paddy

You've got no chance mate!

You have shattered my hopes and dreams :(

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Hi Patrick

I hope you don't mind but I googled you to see who you are. This was one result that was quite interesting: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-...html#post755112

So I'm glad it's not just me :)

Believe it or not I'm a very relaxed kind of chap, but a few things do irritate me (yes, more than most I imagine). The advertising on here or other fishing forums doesn't bother me at all, neither do adverts in fishing magazines (I quite like browsing through them in fact). As you no doubt know it's adverts disguised as copy that I find a bit sad. I'm sorry that annoys you, but there we are.

I think my previous post was pretty clear, there's no contradiction if you read it carefully, and of course I'm not suggesting it's a good idea to dump loads of leads!

What Tony Miles does is his own concern, I'm not trying to speak for anyone else. My respect for him is due to his pioneering all-rounder specimen hunting.

The point is a simple one and I know I'm not alone in holding it - if everyone writing in magazines is employed by a tackle or bait manufacturer, new anglers are missing out on genuine, independent advice from top anglers. They are being sold things they don't need. To be honest I think the blame lies with editors rather than tackle/bait companies. I just often think, 'if I was a new angler now reading this, I would assume this specific weight, or bait, or rig is the key to it all' and it never is. All the consistently good anglers you mention work for different companies, and were good anglers before they were sponsered, so it's pretty clear that they're successful despite what stuff they use, not because of it! Or they'd all work for the same company and the rest would go under.

I'm sorry I upset you so much! You do seem to know quite a lot about me though, I wonder how frightened I should be? :unsure:

Andrew

EDIT: this is probably a better page to start on the topic I linked to above: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-...isherman-3.html ... all very interesting. Reading more and more of that topic, it's a belter :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music