i got a wieght issue...

dean in devon

Andrew, just to give you a little info, my favourite baits of all time and ones I still use a lot today are silkweed and elderberries when roach fishing..... bet you were not expecting that :) ... peace and out

Cheers Patrick :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A post from elsewhere on the www about my introduction to 'weir' weed:

I remember my first ever days fishing for roach with silkweed and the introduction to it. I was about 10 at the time and we used to visit a small weir off the river Ouse in Cambs on my parents boat. The brook in question was stuffed with fish and chub were the main species myself and dad would fish for and took some cracking fish on a variety of methods. Then one day on arriving there was an old chap fishing into the weirpool itself and as I approached him he was just landing a nice roach of about 1lb. With the big roach glistening in the early morning sunlight I dropped my tackle at the boat and walked hastily down to see him.

As I approached he was, what appeared to me, trying to get his hook of the weir from a tangle and I thought to myself he's got caught up trying to cast too close to the weir. However, as I sat and watched it soon dawned on me he was doing it on purpose as he was repeatedly dragging his tackle up the weir face and eventually he snagged a largish piece of weed and with no further though it was soon re-cast into the foaming water at the base of the weir suspended beneath a large chubber style float. Within seconds the float dissapeared quicker than anybite I had ever seen before and he struck and was soon netting another roach of similar size to the first. I sat mouth open and totally silent for the next half an hour watching this guy take fish after fish. Eventually, he noticed me sitting behind him and called me over.

This 'old guy' then handed me his rod and talked me through what he was doing. My first few attempts at dragging the rig up the weir face resulted in nothing attaching itself to the hook and then I eventually 'snagged up' the hook and proceeded to pull off a piece of 'weir weed' as he called it that was about 5-6" long and an inch in diameter. I swung the tackle towards me and was just about to pull some bits of weed off 'as there was no way a piece that big would work' when he quickly uttered "don't touch it! that willl do".. He then went onto explain that touching it made a big difference and was not good and even that size it would get attacked if not taken whole by a chub and the hook-up would come further down the trot through after lots of bites from fish attacking the clump..

Without further questioning I cast out and within seconds the float was darting under and then bobbing back up, all the while the old chap was saying, wait, wait, wait and then when it shot under about 15 foot from the weir face he shouted strike, I did and was soon connected to a fish. Minutes later I'm admiring a nice plump roach of about 12oz.

He then went through his reasoning for not touching the stuff and from that day on I have spent many many days fishing 'weir weed' for roach in many many places and have caught every time and it has accounted for roach, chub, barbel, carp and dace..

I never knew the chaps name and never saw him again in the many visits we made there in the following years but I will never forget that 'old guy' and he is always there in my thoughts the first cast with the weed whenever I try it some 30 years later.. Whereever you are old guy.. Thank you.

Although i've never actually used silkweed or elder berries last year when trotting under a overhanging elderberry tree I caught a chub which shat one my hand when I picked it up. Anyhow the chubs shat was bright purple so it had obviously been munching on elderberries. I think i'll stick to maggots though !

Thanks for the link Rob :D I ordered a few from Graeme, and he got back to say I was his first customer :o Seems a top bloke and looking forward to seeing the new pebble weights, will report back as soon as I do.

Reading between the lines above, I get the impression you're possibly his last, too :(

I don't know what the Pallatrax patent covers. I had a quick look on their site, but couldn't find the patent number to enter into the IPO website and couldn't be bothered to look any further, as tackle manufacture is not something that interests me.

Seems that selling stones as fishing weights is something others are not allowed to do, however:

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/for...1032&page=2

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Reading between the lines above, I get the impression you're possibly his last, too :(

I don't know what the Pallatrax patent covers. I had a quick look on their site, but couldn't find the patent number to enter into the IPO website and couldn't be bothered to look any further, as tackle manufacture is not something that interests me.

Seems that selling stones as fishing weights is something others are not allowed to do, however:

I may be wrong, but I assumed that was the point Mr Leigh was making in his post No 53 on this thread Elton.

I was thinking about taking a patent out on forked wooden sticks, after all the research and development I've put into the use of them as rod rests. I could always call them 'Stix' to make them different from any old piece of twig. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I haven't read all this thread, John, so you may well be right.

Edit: Yeah, post 53 was the one i was referring to when I mentioned 'above'. The other thread on the barbel forum came up when I searched for the patent.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

How on earth could they get a patent for using a stone as a fishing weight, the worlds gone mad!?

And if what people are suspecting is true, Mr Leigh, then I'd hope it would be a public relations disaster for Pallatrax and I'm certain it would be as far as people on this forum are concerned.

A patent on a stone, the most effing ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.