i got a wieght issue...

dean in devon

How on earth could they get a patent for using a stone as a fishing weight, the worlds gone mad!?

It would be a certain element, or elements, that is patented. And it would be selling the end product, not using a stone for fishing, that would be protected, I presume.

Like I said, though, I haven't seen the patent, so couldn't comment further.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be that it is only Patent applied for, or simply the means of attaching the stone or swivel or whatever. Patents are usually granted on the "novelty" (new idea/use) and nothing to do with the materials used.

Of course if you or anyone else can demonstrate that the idea of drilling a hole in a stone to attach a swivel has been "in the public domain" prior to the application for a patent, then the patent would normally be refused, certainly been around for a few years to my knowledge.

Might be worth asking for the patent no?

Why not be really "novel" and make lead weight that look like stones :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just spoken to Graeme on this, he's looked at the patent and reckons the definitive patent is owned by a US Company.

Also he only charges postage for his stone weights and publishes the howto guide because he's not in it commercially.

Apparently the Pallatrax stones are drilled whereas Graeme cuts his so it's a different manufacturing process.

I don't think he'll be losing any sleep put it that way so I'd suggest anyone interested in using stones as weights should either consult his guide to make their own or get a couple off him for the price of the postage, you'd have to be stonzed to pay the Pallatrax prices!

Edited by Rob Ward

Reading between the lines above, I get the impression you're possibly his last, too :(

I don't know what the Pallatrax patent covers. I had a quick look on their site, but couldn't find the patent number to enter into the IPO website and couldn't be bothered to look any further, as tackle manufacture is not something that interests me.

Seems that selling stones as fishing weights is something others are not allowed to do, however:

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/for...1032&page=2

Hi Elton and all on AN,

It's Graeme here the pebble making pirate :lol:

Right let's put this one to bed once and for all, firstly I have not sold fishing weights for profit infact our fellow angler Neil was/is my first customer and if you look at the link Mr Ward posted it takes you to my humble website and you get a free downloadable PDF one how to make a pebble weight step by step.

The point I make on the site is that IF you can't be bothered making your own I'll make them for you at a small cost, if I wanted to become the next Alan Sugar then surely it's not good practice to give all your product secrets away in a easy to follow 'how to guide' :P

As a result of my first 'sale' I have asked the buyer for feedback so have I therefore consequently appointed him as my product development consultant :)

To be clear I will ammend my website shortly to say 'if you want me to make you some pebbles then send me an email with what you require and I will make them free of charge if you cover the costs of materials and postage which should equate to about 75p each'

I will also consider removing the Paypal checkout facility so it doesn't appear that I'm openly selling them for profit.

Personally I couldn't care less what commercial organisations think of me sharing good practice with fellow anglers and if then wanted to take it further then bring it on :angry:

Finally thought.............who has the patent of cage feeders? Take a Goole search on Freddys Fantastic Feeders as recommended on a certain Barbel anglers website.

Is Freddy trying to make a million? I doub't it he seems like most of us to be a genuine angler who has the skills to make something that will help other anglers catch fish which is what we all want to do isn't it?

Anyone who wants some FREE of any profit fishing pebble weights handmade to order get in touch and I'll gladly make them for you.

Cheers,

Graeme (aka the pebble pirate :D)

The irony is that prior to all this I had no major thoughts either way about Pallatrax as a company or their "stonze" product.This whole lark has now turned me off both.

Its a stone with a swivel stuck in it for christ's sake!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There are plenty of posts about at the moment that illustrate people are being sold commercially driven, bad advice in the media. Thankfully there are some experienced anglers who can be bothered to try to help. Whether that advice is valued I don't know.

I offered a load of beginners fishing books to AN members while ago, just to get them started with some good, basic, unbiased advice. Couldn't even give them away! :rolleyes:

Blanked on the Thames today. Maybe those chub could see the SSGs...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The irony is that prior to all this I had no major thoughts either way about Pallatrax as a company or their "stonze" product.This whole lark has now turned me off both.

Maybe so Budgie, but if the Patent examiners were satisfied that the combination is novel, then they have no option but to grant the patent. US patent may not apply to the UK. I could only find that the name Stonze was protected by a Trade Mark, but I stand to be corrected.

Gozzer, there is nothing to stop anyone copying anyone elses ideas, as long as they don't try to sell them. Some of the best inventions (probably most) are adaptions/improvements on known ideas. Along with most inventors, it is seeing the alternative use for an idea/design which sparks an idea off.

There are also many original ideas that (in my opinion) are completely novel, the moveable reel fitting which I invented about 45 years ago, was one such idea........sadly the patent has lapsed by now. Patents last for 20 years.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

The whole thing is just ridiculous. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to pay for something so easy to make, for next to nothing!

I used to make them with just an eye stuck in, and then used a link swivel for easier changing. I wonder if the patent just covers those with swivels?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

hope these stonz's come from a sustainable source and not stripping a beaches natural defence somewhere. Is an extraction licence required as is for natural sand and gravel. The government would want to know as they do charge a tax for removal, prior to selling on. Perhaps this is why they appear to be soo expensive. A heavy burden of tax is already pre-paid for the said items. B):D

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Something odd happened just now, I replied to post 71, and it appeared on the previous page...........................have I invented something new? :) :)

Den