i got a wieght issue...

dean in devon

Maybe so Budgie, but if the Patent examiners were satisfied that the combination is novel, then they have no option but to grant the patent. US patent may not apply to the UK. I could only find that the name Stonze was protected by a Trade Mark, but I stand to be corrected.

It wasn't so much that I meant Den,Its more that such a simple thing is being billed as such a big contribution to catching fish! Why is it that when ever any species becomes popular we see this sort of thing? ie the fish suddenly being credited with all this intelligence and therefore who ever fishes for them must be a superior angler and hi tech all singing dancing equipment suddenly crucial to catch them?

Its like some one else said earlier a shame as it stops new anglers focus sing on learning the important things and miss leads them into believing success/expertise can simply be brought from the tackle shop! As for the people who keep ramming this down our throats! Do they think we are all daft, are they that stupid they actually believe the twaddle they are peddling or are they just brainwashed by the "machine"?

For those who cant see this just try reading the crop of equipment/bait orientated posts from newer anglers agonising over such we have at present on here!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you 100% Budgie, I don't own or use any of the "essential" bits of end tackle beloved of the mags. And as for hooks :D:D the biggest con ever. If a hook is inturned then sometimes it will bounce off, if it out turned the it can trip off, and offset to one side or the other can also cause a missed fish. Short shanks can (and do) bounce off,hence the efficiency of the line aligner...simply makes the shank longer! and hooking more efficient..why do commercials use long shank hooks?

I have no problem with anyone selling new ideas/tackle, but it is this constant barrage of "must have gimmicks" that makes the modern young angler get so stressed out when they fail to catch.

Have I got it wrong, or are Stonze aimed mainly at Barbel anglers? Maybe those who have moved over from failing at carping to failing at Barbelling? :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Reading between the lines above, I get the impression you're possibly his last, too :(

I don't know what the Pallatrax patent covers. I had a quick look on their site, but couldn't find the patent number to enter into the IPO website and couldn't be bothered to look any further, as tackle manufacture is not something that interests me.

Seems that selling stones as fishing weights is something others are not allowed to do, however:

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/for...1032&page=2

Firstly, I would like to make it clear, these posts are the opinions of myself and are not a company posting by Pallatrax. I am not paid by them, I have no financial gain from their products. Yes, I assist them with their website and other things, all free of charge for a friend. Am I not allowed an opinion due to the fact that when I go fishing I wear a logo on my shirt or jacket? or does doing so instantly declare any opinion or thought I have unworthy?

Elton, reading between the lines you got 2+2 = 5....... My reason for being interested in that link was that it is was a great example (again) of the irony of some of the content of this post. Some people have the opinion that stone weights are a gimmick, some think because an angler uses them and associated with that company is peddling crap to new anglers. The irony lies within the fact that there are endless people who make their own stone weights either for private use or small scale commercial use.

As you found in that link to barbel fishing world this was yet another example of someone also thinking they are a good idea to make and use and many others offering methods of doing so. I merely pointed out that the stonze are patented and as such before he spent money on development and marketing etc it would be prudent for him to get it checked out.

I personally DO NOT know the limits to which the patents owned by Pallatrax apply as this is a matter for the owners of that company alone.

As stated earlier, this thread is full of individual opinions and mine, following use of the product is that they are a good weight and they certainly don't catch me any less fish when using them. Others may beg to differ and not see the need. The original post at the beginning of this thread related to the use of weights and having a stealthy option.

That stealthy option could be sand coated leads, dull leads, dung leads, weed coated leads etc.... A myriad of leads are around that have been developed to look like something other than what they actually are i.e a lead ... why have the manufacturers done this? to hide the lead... because SOME people think it helps, some know it helps and yet, as has been proven by some posters on this thread SOME think it is a crappy idea and makes no difference at all. Great 3 opinions at least.. who is right?

Answer: they all are... opinions are individual thoughts and as such I would argue as would others I am right and others would say I'm wrong... however, it seems because an angler wears a logo and promotes a product he will never be right...

I think I made a shorter reference to the above ealrier in this thread "opinions are like Arseholes, everyones got one"...

Again, this opinion is brought to you by Me and me alone....

Fair comment Patrick, but you've got to admit that the arguments put forward on the website can equally apply to a disguised lump of lead.

For what it is worth, after over 60 years of carping and barbelling, I have reached the conclusion that if fish were intelligent enough to worry about our weights, then we would never catch anything. You would be shocked at some of the things I have used as weights and caught on over the years.

On a slightly more serious note though, I see no problem with attempting to match the colour/ shape to the bed of the river/lake you are fishing, indeed I usually spray my feeders a dull green/brown/black and even sometimes sandy colour..............sods law they will always land on the wrong spot though :) :) and then what do you do? (if of course you are aware of it)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

I have never worried about the shine off the weights but i suppose on a day where fish were being very finicky it might make a slight difference. Tbh though i would try and disguise the weight by drawing on it with a green or black permanent marker or even painting it or something if i was that bothered, i wouldn't go out and buy a whole new set of weights because i thought they were too shiny!!

I once caught a carp that had been trailing a whole rig left by another angler. The rig was very irresponsible and had a big rusty barbed hook which he should not have been using on that water. With the braid hooklength, odd looking rubber things and unusual clips and stuff it looked like a "proper" carp fishermen had left it and obviously didn't care about the fish welfare.

Anyway part of the rig was a green camouflaged weight, the type people buy for carp that are a good few quid more expensive than a normal arlesey bomb. Although it was a little heavier than i normally use i thought great and used it a few times after that. I can safely say it was no different whatsoever to my normal weight and i'm pretty confident it didn't boost my catch rate in the slightest.

After that i don't ever worry about the fanciest weights or anything because i'm sure it's just a ploy to make the tackle companies think we need it but we really dont, its just a waste of money :D

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

however, it seems because an angler wears a logo and promotes a product he will never be right...

Patrick I think you will find why a lot are anti this sort of thing is because the opposite seems true! ie "because an angler doesn't wear a logo or promote a product he cant possibly be right".......................................

Personal opinion should be based on personal experience and as such there is obviously room for difference but it has been quite plain to me that most sensible people who have actually experienced the same things will draw the same conclusions.

I am quite intrigued by your particular motivation though (please I'm being quite serious here and not trying to score points) why if your not paid by Pallatrax/part of them etc etc why do you monitor any mention of them on the internet and then leap so (I thought a bit OTT and it certainly came across to me "zealously") on any negative opinions of the company/product?

I would have been a little less suspicious/surprised/intrigued if you had simply been a regular contributor just offering an alternative view to Anderoos comments.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Good for you Dave, I have done the same :) I chucked away the lead clip and other essentials and just kept the lead weight. It was OK though, the fish hadn't told his mates :)

Den

With the braid hooklength, odd looking rubber things and unusual clips and stuff it looked like a "proper" carp fishermen had left it and obviously didn't care about the fish welfare.

Almost certainly not a 'proper' carp fisherman Dave, much more likely to be someone using all that stuff and not knowing why they're using it in the first place.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Patrick I think you will find why a lot are anti this sort of thing is because the opposite seems true! ie "because an angler doesn't wear a logo or promote a product he cant possibly be right".......................................

Personal opinion should be based on personal experience and as such there is obviously room for difference but it has been quite plain to me that most sensible people who have actually experienced the same things will draw the same conclusions.

I am quite intrigued by your particular motivation though (please I'm being quite serious here and not trying to score points) why if your not paid by Pallatrax/part of them etc etc why do you monitor any mention of them on the internet and then leap so (I thought a bit OTT and it certainly came across to me "zealously") on any negative opinions of the company/product?

I would have been a little less suspicious/surprised/intrigued if you had simply been a regular contributor just offering an alternative view to Anderoos comments.

That statement does not apply to my train of thought at all Budgie.... opinions are truely personal... if someone says X is brilliant I've been doing it for years and he catches fish... then X is brilliant... I may think something else is just as effective or better... again, Opinions are opinions - logo, no logo, sponsored not sponsored!

As mentioned above, I help them with their website as the owners are close friends of mine and am constantly using analytical tools for search engine placement, key words etc to help them promote their website. Again, your opinion was that I was OTT/Over zealous.... my opinion was my own and at the end of day, so was Anderoos .... I just bit as it was reflecting on a close friends company.

Back to the thread... are your leads shiney or coated? :D;):lol:

Edited by PatrickALeigh