Can't shut down the computer

Andrew Burgess

That is how chkdsk is supposed to behave. There is a way to check on exactly what it did while it was running but the stuff is all written in geek so it usually isn't worth looking at.

Glad you were able to get malwarebytes to load and run. Keep it and occasionally run a quick scan after you do the update. It helps keep things tidy and as critter-free as possible.

How is the PC behaving now? There is some more stuff we can have a look at if the thing still isn't right.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not easy too think in xp terms but i'm running through a virtual system in my head ,here goes.

goto start button ,run : msconfig

either on the first screen or one of the others ,theres a check box next too restart after shutdown (or something like that) make sure its not ticked .if it is untick it then apply .then goto the start up tab ,look at whats listed ,and anything that your not familier with ,untick it then apply ,restart your computer

once windows has loaded ,try shutting down in the normal manner .

if it stays off ,restart it ,run msconfig again go back too the start up list ,and re-tick anything you unticked before that you may of found you needed .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

How is the PC behaving now? There is some more stuff we can have a look at if the thing still isn't right.

At the moment it look fine but I had been having problem with my online banking, that I couldn't log in and wanted to sort it all out for once and all. Want to the local bank branch explain to the bank staff with the online problem and after a few checks whith the bank headquarters say the online system was working fine and there no recorded attempts of me trying to log in into my account. There therefore my computer is locking me out in the online banking! :angry:

It still refusing to shut down when I shut down the computer and promt restart straight away! :rolleyes:

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

ok ,i fluffed that one ,got it now though (still simular in win 7) , either right click on the my computer icon and select properties ,or the my computer link in the start menu or press & hold the windows key and tap the break/pause key or goto the control panal and click on the system icon ,then advanced tab then startup & recovery button (near bottom) ,theres a on failure list ,untick the restart command .

it could be ,that you have a program that isn't closing ,windows will still try too shut down ,but because the last program didn't shut down the pc see's this as a failure and so restarts .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Cheer Chavender - you're one in a million thanks ;)

I followed the instructions you mention - went to control panel > system > advanced tab then startup & recovery button (near bottom) ,untick the restart command.

If we ever meet up in the future remind me to buy you a couple of pints ;)

Newt you're also one in a million and I really thank you very highly. I am glad that we met a couple of times especially at Wingham and off course in the USA.

There are still other problems like my online banking which I think the (virus) is stopping me to logging in - at the moment I managed to do it via from the laptop which is great news so far but really would like to do it from the main computer if possible but if not - not to worry!

(this posting this via from the laptop! (secondary back up for emails :rolleyes: )

Cheer Chavender - you're one in a million thanks ;)

I followed the instructions you mention - went to control panel > system > advanced tab then startup & recovery button (near bottom) ,untick the restart command.

If we ever meet up in the future remind me to buy you a couple of pints ;)

Newt you're also one in a million and I really thank you very highly. I am glad that we met a couple of times especially at Wingham and off course in the USA.

There are still other problems like my online banking which I think the (virus) is stopping me to logging in - at the moment I managed to do it via from the laptop which is great news so far but really would like to do it from the main computer if possible but if not - not to worry!

(this posting this via from the laptop! (secondary back up for emails :rolleyes: )

you need to flush your internet explorer stuff. its never enough to just run malwarebytes and hope that resolves your problems. confirm for me what browser you are using;

if your using IE then goto TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>ADVANCED> then choose restore advanced settings and then choose RESET! this will restore standard IE settings and also wipe clean all toolbars and BHO files that are loaded into IE when you are browsing. MOST malware will add a BHO to your browser that will cause websites to go funny and not work fully etc etc

the easiest way to disable them is to reset as ive suggested.

next up you need to disbale SYSTEM RESTORE! 90% of all virus activity will become resident in your system restore points! thats includes MALWARE! so the next time you pc mucks up and you think ooo ill just do a system restore; BAM! your virus is back!

works a bit different in Windows 7 but if you right click computer, then chose system protection you can then use CONFIGURE to disable system restore on your drives...you only need to do it once! that will erase all your previous restores! once you have done it..just turn it back on again! just be sure your system is clean before you do!

finally download AVAST..its free...and its a very very good virus killer! BUT its one glory trick is to be able to configure a BOOT TIME SCAN! just install the software...open it up and goto scans, in there is a tick box to run a boot time scan...tick it and restart and Avast will scan your system for virus stuff before windows starts..which basically stops the pesky little buggers from hiding or locking themselves away!

Thanks for the suggestion kirisute

I haven't done anything yet at the moment as still posting from the laptop!

Here an question for you or anyone

In couple of month time I got my renewal subscription for the McAfee which I have been for the last eight years - I feel it had let me down now as it didn't pick up what ever it affected the computer.

It is worth me to renewal or not or shall I go elsewhere now?

If I go elsewhere what would your recommendations :unsure:

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC, Jan's PC, and the one we keep for a spare or for grandkids to use when they visit. Free, does not overload the PC, and has been very effective for us. For instance, I haven't gotten a hit with malwarebytes in quite a while and I usually run it about once a week. Did I mention it is free?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...32-33d813687a7f

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the suggestion kirisute

I haven't done anything yet at the moment as still posting from the laptop!

Here an question for you or anyone

In couple of month time I got my renewal subscription for the McAfee which I have been for the last eight years - I feel it had let me down now as it didn't pick up what ever it affected the computer.

It is worth me to renewal or not or shall I go elsewhere now?

If I go elsewhere what would your recommendations :unsure:

dont touch Mcaffee with a barge pole! its cheap and nasty and is a system hog! similar to Norton products it will slow internet access down and also the system.

Microsoft Security Essentials is very good at what it does; its built around an old system called Giant Anti Spyware; which MS bought a few years back just before they release Vista. Every edition of Vista and Win 7 comes with a cut down version which is called Windows Defender..Security Essentials is simply that built in product with a few more bells and whistles!

However its limited...a virus or malware can be sneaky and opperate inside the OS systems security protection zones. System level, library level and software level virus/malware are all out there.

For instance most Anti virus software runs on a library level, with bits a bobs in system level..these are the two most protected areas onb your OS. Software level is where normal software runs like Office etc

A standard piece of malware will run at software level....easily being picked up by malwarebytes and suchlike and being stopped and killed.. HOWEVER many of these programs contain "rootkits" that are designed to head into the library level or system level of your system and thereby be untouched my Anti virus or malware detectors! every time you restart or restore..POW..your virus is back!

a GOOD anti spyware or anti virus will run scans beyond the usual software and library lvls and have full access to system level scanning! In order to do that you need an Anti Virus that will operate WITHOUT being in a windows enviroment! Avast does! and so do some others....without a boot time scan your limting the ability to disbale and destroy infected system files.

finally dont ever run more than one AV on your system, they will simply detect each other as virus and spend most of the time trying to kill each other! as ive stated to be uber safe rotate your AV software occasionally between a couple you trust..i use AVG and Avast...what one fails to pick up the other certainly will!

last year i picked up a rootkit myself....AVG didnt spot it or stop at all! I installed Avast and within 5 mins it was dead and buried! REMEMBER malware and virus' are designed to HIDE from your scans! relying only on one product is foolish in the extreme! an AV program can be fooled into missing files and also simply not detecting them! If it happened to me with my 16+ years of experience then i promise you it can happen to you too!