Now I live on a lake

severus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMaste...p;tstamp=200806

Truly extraordinary flooding has hit the Cedar River in the town of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Rainfall amounts in excess of 12 inches have fallen in the past ten days over the Cedar River watershed, which extends to the northwest of Cedar Rapids into southern Minnesota.

The rains that fell during the weekend of June 7-8 were fueled in part by moisture from Tropical Storm Alma/Arthur, which affected Central America May 29 - June 2.

The Cedar River is expected to crest today at 31.8 feet, which is an amazing 19.8 feet above the flood stage of 12 feet.

During the historic 1993 flood, the worst in recent history, the river hit only 19.27 feet, 7 feet above flood stage.

Nine rivers in Iowa are at all-time record flood levels, and Iowa Governor Chet Culver has declared 83 of the state's 99 counties state disaster areas.

Additional heavy rainfall is not expected over the Cedar River watershed over the next two days, so today should mark the peak of this year's historic flooding.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Smashed to smithereens ==broken into tiny pieces.

i googled it and this was one of the answers==smaller than a smither but bigger than a smattering! :)

makes perfect sense to me. :rolleyes:

Same here, Clifftop. I read that "smithereens" was plural only and not singular in a trivia book, but your definition seems more plausible.

More storms here. The other night storms dumped about a foot of rain 100 miles north of me and caused roads to wash out like this:

large_IMG_7749.JPG

The woman driver was unharmed after her wild ride. It was dark when she drove into this pit. Bet she was surprised.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Ouch! Now that really is wet.

Are you back to normal yet, Severus?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yes. My creek receded fairly quickly, Steve, and all is back to normal here. The real flooding events are out in Iowa to my west.

~ Mark Twain

Numerous reports today of breeches in the Mississippi River leviy system and resulting widespread flooding. A town in Iowa was spared any serious flooding today (well, 4 feet in the center of town but they expected much worse) when the levy across the river from them gave way and a few millions of gallons of water quickly flowed out to flood a few thousand acres of Illinois farm land , taking pressure off the levy on the Iowa side.

Luckily the upper mid-west States are not getting rain right now so the river should crest in that area in a few more hours but as an example, Flood Stage (the river height when flooding starts) at St. Louis, MO is 30 feet above normal full pool and the river is at a smidge over 40 feet right now. 40 feet is when it goes from moderate to major flooding at that location.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 6 months later...

What a night. Temps hit 56 farenheit here yesterday and melted 24" inches of snowpack. Then it rained. Then the creek rose and nearly jumped my retaining wall, which of course, would have sucked hind-titty. Fortunately it crested before that happened.

June

flood3.jpg

Today. The picnic table at center was submerged. I suppose my campfire wood is halfway to Lake Michigan by now.

flood4-1.jpg

Another view this AM

flood6.jpg

Same photo angle one week ago. If you look at the tree across the creek you can gauge how much higher the water level is in the first photo.

snowyduck.jpg

Edited by severus

~ Mark Twain

I noticed how hot it was yesterday in your area. Strange weather this Winter.

Has the water gone down any?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ouch! Fingers crossed you never get floodwater into the house.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net