Sea Fishing with a carp rod!

Guest Big Brother

Guest Big Brother

Im off to uni soon, on the Welsh Coast and would like to get into, at least dabble in, sea fishing!!

Ive got carp gear, big reels, thick line but have no idea how to sea fish frown.gif Can I sea fish with carp gear. I know this is a message for the sea angler forum eek.gif but thought it was worth asking fellow coarse anglers their opinion and if you have ever done it, ie use carp gear in the sea!)

Any tips greatly recieved!! smile.gif

If you're pier fishing or spinning for species such as bass, you would get away with using your carp rods. In fact, many sea fishermen do use them for spinning.

However, if you're planning to lob a 6oz weight, complete with bait, out into a strong tide and then pull in a 10lb cod, get some beefier kit!! Your rods won't handle it and neither will your reels.

Take a look at http://sea-angler.org for a few tips.

Tight lines,

Elton

Guest Stu Thurston

Carp rods can be used as mentioned by Elton, for spinning. They can also be used with good results when floatfishing for wrasse, garfish, pollack etc from rocks. On sandy beaches use carp rods when flounder/plaice fishing using light leads (1oz) and rolling a worm bait over the bottom - this covers a lot of ground and also reults in some good catches, this would also apply to fishing in esturies.

After fishing though you must remember to wash your gear thoroughly under warm running water, then towel dry and leave in a warm place overnight to dry - salt water loves to destroy and metal in reels and rods!

I use my carp gear for sea fishing, i find sea fish are so sporting on light tackle. You won't be able to sling sufficient weight to hold the bottom on a beach, but they're great fun from piers and breakwaters or spinning in the surf for bass and chucking feathers from the beach. I stood on bournemouth pier for hours nobbling mackeral on feathers, get six 2lb mackeral on a string of feathers and they are as much fun as anything else. and every cast. Make sure your reels are well greased to keep out salt and sand, and watch for rust around your rod rings. Allong the welsh coast i should think you'll be float fishing rock marks and carp gear is best for this any way.

Good luck with Uni (like you'll find time for fishing with all the cheap booze and women)

Bretty wink.gif