Nev Fickling Rejoins PAC!

Guest Elton

Guest Alan Pearce

Ok then Mac what is your opinion, lets here it. IMO both PAC and NF have shown great courage, and respect for each other and the well being of pike angling. Both parties had good cases and strong opinions and could have kept on battling away for years without coming to any sensible conclusion. Together they have made major contributions to angling, the promotion of pike fishing and fish conservation overall.

There is strength in unity and right now angling needs unity. That is MHO.

Alan.

[This message has been edited by Alan Pearce (edited 23 December 2000).]

Originally posted by Alan Pearce:

O.K. then Mac what is your opinion, lets here it. "

Sorry Allan, you will have to find someone else to keep your thread going...

Bye the way, how are the otters doing...surprised you have time for diplomatic missions..GLAD IT WORKED OUT FOR YOU!!!

Mac (very tongue in cheek)

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by Mac:

Sorry Leon, I find it difficult to understand as to how a 'cop out' can be described as a hard decision?

Mac, you and I aren’t so far apart in our thinking.

NF lost my respect before Blithfield.

I was not at all surprised at his involvement with the events there.

His subsequent manoeuvrings, and much worse his personal attacks on PAC officials after those events, seeking to put the blame on to them for the furore which followed, was to my mind contemptible.

However, he did have the support of a minority of PAC members, and some support within angling in general. For so long as he was excluded from PAC membership, this was bound to be a running sore; divisive, time wasting and energy sapping.

With the barrier to NF being re-admitted removed, the sore between both camps can begin to be healed, and the PAC committee can get on with the important job in hand.

What does NF get out of the deal?

Does he get your respect?

Does he get the respect of others who feel like you and me?

What of his supporters, who resigned, or who failed to rejoin?

What about those followers of NF, declaring themselves dissatisfied with a PAC committee, supposedly not prepared to listen to reason?

What of the (now clubless) NF followers who were looking forward to joining a new group to rival the PAC?

Might they be feeling a little used at this point?

IF NF feels that he has won some kind of victory, he will find himself sadly mistaken.

He might be back in the PAC, but he’s going to have to work damn hard to regain the respect he once had, amongst the majority of the membership.

I honestly hope he can do that, and I readily acknowledge that NF has needed to concede ground to bring this agreement about, and that could not have been easy for him. That at least is a start.

But for the rest of us, for now, there are more important issues than this, which both the PAC and angling needs to address.

With this out of the way, we can start to heal the rifts and, together again at last, use our energies to get on with the business in hand.

I say again, all thanks to the hard work, intelligence and courage of those who have brought this about.

Tight Lines - leon

Originally posted by Dave Lumb:

Happy Christmas to pike anglers everywhere

Yes Dave, we all now have a somewhat crudely wrapped 'cop out' nestling under the yule tide tree.

Mac

[This message has been edited by Mac (edited 24 December 2000).]

Guest Alan Pearce

Never forget all the great work that the PAC and the Blithfield anglers have done in the past, before the ruck, and continue to do today.

Water under the bridge, lifes learning curve and all that.

Support the new committee as they are working hard for the interests of pike anglers everywhere and it can be a lonely thankless job. I think the club is very fortunate to have the services of Mark, Dave and John at the helm.

Rather than stand on the side lines throwing stones, how about a more positive and constructive attitude for 2001?

Alan.

Originally posted by Alan Pearce:

Never forget all the great work that the PAC and the Blithfield anglers have done in the past, before the ruck, and continue to do today.

Water under the bridge, lifes learning curve and all that.

Support the new committee as they are working hard for the interests of pike anglers everywhere and it can be a lonely thankless job. I think the club is very fortunate to have the services of Mark, Dave and John at the helm.

Rather than stand on the side lines throwing stones, how about a more positive and constructive attitude for 2001?

Alan.

Allan,

The Committee know my position re this matter...I have been dealing with them directly thank you...I don't need SACG to broker deals for me....or be lectured by them relative to PAC affairs...!

I have more invested in relation to dedication,effort and years in PAC than you will ever have...so please, save the preaching for those that might appreciate it!

That sir, is my last on this topic with your good self or your organisation!

Mac

Guest Dave Pugh

I have some sympathy for Mac's view but it can only be good for pike fishing that we are at peace again and we can begin to build on the new unity.

The committee has been brave and pragmatic in the actions they have taken, there cannot be any purpose served by prolonging the rift.

That courage and pragmatism matches that shown by the old committee when they took the firm action against those PAC members who were present at the Blithfield cull. Even if the readmittance of the Blithfield anglers is a bitter pill for them to swallow they can be proud that the PAC has emerged stronger than ever from the situation, and this strength is purely a result of the action they took. Many ordinary PAC members like me have expressed their firm support for the action they took, but we all have to accept that time has moved on and there are bigger battles to fight.

No PAC member, wether well-known or otherwise, can now have any doubt that the PAC will act firmly in future to uphold both the central tenets of its mission statement and its good name as a responsible, dedicated body for the promotion of pike and pike angling. With livebaiting coming under the scrutiny of the Environment Agency it is vital that we present a united and resolute front to those who might exploit any divisions at this critical time.

If the PAC can find common ground with the representatives of match and game anglers - who are not exactly our normal allies, then surely we can can make peace with other pike anglers who might have a different opinion about just one incident.

Unity is the future, angling does not have very long to get its act together if we are to present a credible defence against the attacks we will face when our MPs have finished celebrating the end of foxhunting. We really don't have time to fight amongst ourselves.