left to right

tcman

Hi all.A friend of mine has been given an okuma slv 7/9 fly reel,its for a left hand wind,as he has no fingers on his left he holds rod in right, the handle cannot be altered or the line other way{same effect from drag] i have been told the bearing has to come out and turned round,but being very careful not to have tiny balls flying about. If anyone knows:Detailed instructions please. Thanks in anticipation.Richard.

Hi all.A friend of mine has been given an okuma slv 7/9 fly reel,its for a left hand wind,as he has no fingers on his left he holds rod in right, the handle cannot be altered or the line other way{same effect from drag] i have been told the bearing has to come out and turned round,but being very careful not to have tiny balls flying about. If anyone knows:Detailed instructions please. Thanks in anticipation.Richard.

If the bearing has to come out then it must be an anti-reverse bearing. Should be no problem with 'balls' flying out as it should be a one piece bearing and probably rollers. The bearing would need to be pressed out I suspect but I'm sure. Googling Okuma website should give you details on how to change it over. If not try some of the Yank sites they are usually up to speed on tiddling with reels!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

If the bearing has to come out then it must be an anti-reverse bearing. Should be no problem with 'balls' flying out as it should be a one piece bearing and probably rollers. The bearing would need to be pressed out I suspect but I'm sure. Googling Okuma website should give you details on how to change it over. If not try some of the Yank sites they are usually up to speed on tiddling with reels!

Cheers will try.R

• 3 weeks later...
Tried but just seem to be going round in circles.R

Hi. got a schematic view of the reel( 8/9) not 7/9. anyway the bearing is on the other side of where we were looking,spool side then it was easy,done and dusted.(easy when you know how especially with a plan.) Thanks . Richard.