Best Fluorocarbon line ?

kestrel

Hi Steve - can I ask which circumstances?

I must say I'm tying myself in knots on this whole line issue. I've been using braid for trotting and legering on the Kennet, but I'm never sure whther I prefer it or mono. I use fourocarbon as a hooklength religously when fly fishing, but not when trotting. I feel that when trotting or legering I need stretch when using braid so a mono bottom is best, but I like the properties of Flouro as a hooklength. I don't use braid hooklength when legering and never hair rig or anything. I occasionally use mono for trotting, or laying on etc. but use Daiwa. The whole thing has ciome aboyut since I witnessed my line spook chub and trout last summer. On most occasions it was fireline, but that'sbecause I normally use fioreline. I have tried spiderwire in camo, and I'm quite pleased with it but only for winter legering so it's an unfair test.

Mike

The main reasons are that in much of my fishing, such at Wingham, I need high abrasion resistance. From the lab tests I've seen there's a huge variability in abrasion resistance with monos, much less with fluorocarbons. From this it seems that you can get higher abrasion resistance from monos.

Secondly, all the fluorocarbons I've handled have been stiffer and lacked suppleness compared with mono.

Thirdly, fluorocarbon is a lot more expensive.

Fluorocarbon technology is relatively new and so I'll keep an ear to the ground. In the the meantime I'll stick to using fluorocarbon for hooklengths in special circumstances such as when I want extra stiffness, such as livebaiting for perch to reduce the risk of tangles. I also find this stiffness of use for paternoster links for the same reason.

By the way, Mike, the lab tests showed that the amount of stretch in monos and fluorocarbons was broadly similar.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reasons are that in much of my fishing, such at Wingham, I need high abrasion resistance. From the lab tests I've seen there's a huge variability in abrasion resistance with monos, much less with fluorocarbons. From this it seems that you can get higher abrasion resistance from monos.

Secondly, all the fluorocarbons I've handled have been stiffer and lacked suppleness compared with mono.

Thirdly, fluorocarbon is a lot more expensive.

Fluorocarbon technology is relatively new and so I'll keep an ear to the ground. In the the meantime I'll stick to using fluorocarbon for hook lengths in special circumstances such as when I want extra stiffness, such as livebaiting for perch to reduce the risk of tangles. I also find this stiffness of use for paternoster links for the same reason.

By the way, Mike, the lab tests showed that the amount of stretch in monos and fluorocarbons was broadly similar.

Yes stiffness is one of the reasons I like it for fly leaders especially droppered ones.Strange Steve mentions using Fluorocarbon for pat links as I use Tynex (a stiff brand of mono aimed at fly anglers for making leaders ,er sound familiar!) for pat links!!

As I keep saying my point is that most are buying it not understanding its properties and where best to use them.Simply because its the latest "buzz" name for a piece of gear! Only use other than surface fishing I have for it in carping is for "stiff hook links"

Anderoo has hit it on the head about the vast difference in quality of Fluorocarbons aimed at the trout world.I found the same many years ago and settled on Grand Riverge.Imagine how much a mainline of real good fluorocarbon would cost! BUT then ask (once again!) WHY? I still say that none of its properties are that better than mono to out weight its disadvantages and additional price!

Please convince me other wise people!......................or accept you've been stiffed by the "Carp Machine" and learn from it!

Trying new things is good but refusing to accept that something (just because you've brought it) isn't any good isn't! Don't think that I'm trying to come over as some superior clever boffin or anything as Ive just learned the hard way too! I accept we all some times need to learn the hard way but don't knock me for just trying to help others not get shafted like I have been! especially guys who could better spend their hard earned/limited dough!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i'm sorry but no no no no no no, a the end of the day it brings in fish, it works, it's good, it gives confidence in your fishing,

i'm proof, lat year i started fishing on my own, not knowing much but the basics a my dad did nearly everything for me,

i been fihing with him since i was 4 caught lovly fish, 19 years later i am on my own not knowing products, so i buy a fluro (berkly vanish)

everytime i went fishing i caught on it, i even fooled a 1.5lb eel in the middle of the day with 20lb line.

this gave me 1000000000000000% confidence in my line, this year i have gone back to mono, and i will be using 15lb lines, as it gave me the confidence as an angler. is this not what fishing is about? is not so we feel better about our rigs?

i don't care if i have to change the line every few months as long a i feel confident in my catching ability...

it seems to me there some old stubbon people who want to bash..

have you pasion fellas, remember what it's like to be fishing with out confidence and with, i will always keep a spool/reel with fluro just in case, we should always have at least one of ev erything, this is what a good angler does...

i will state it is a good line from my experiance i have caught 20lb cats down to 1.5lb eels lmao on this, all of thi was ledger only though.

B)

Dean

it seems to me there some old stubbon people who want to bash..

Not "stubbon" at all Dean just experienced enough to know that once we have tried something new if it is any better than alternatives which are half the price.

"stubbon" is not being prepared to try something new,"stubbon" is not accepting something doesnt come up to expectations, "stubbon" is arguing a point without comming up with any actual facts,

The big difference there Steve is that mono then retracts, whereas flourocarbon remains stretched!

To spool up 3 reels (not big pit reels, 5000 size baitrunners) with the Grand Riverge would cost me £160. And even if someone offered me that for free, I'd still rather spool up with a bulk spool of £6.99 Sensor!

I'm actually disappointed that my enquiries into flourocarbon mainlines have brought me to this point because I really did like the idea of a really heavy, fast sinking mainline for bream fishing. But unfortunately I have to conclude that it's just not suitable.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm actually disappointed that my enquiries into flourocarbon mainlines have brought me to this point because I really did like the idea of a really heavy, fast sinking mainline for bream fishing. But unfortunately I have to conclude that it's just not suitable.

Or that heavy or really fast sinking! Well not to any practical degree. It is more the disappointment that it doesn't do what it says on the packet than the cost though isn't it.

i'm sorry but no no no no no no, a the end of the day it brings in fish

It's careful and thoughtful location and feeding that brings in fish ;) That can't be plugged and sold for profit though!

It'll be interesting to see how you get on after the switch from flourocarbon to mono Dean, I hope you let us know how you get on?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Or that heavy or really fast sinking! Well not to any practical degree. It is more the disappointment that it doesn't do what it says on the packet than the cost though isn't it.

Yes, exactly. Let down by another wonder product, no wonder I'm such a stubborn old cynic!

I'm not sure I see how a difference in sink rate is going to make much difference to a taut mainline between a terminal rig and rod tip?

Also, whenever I've dangled fluorocarbon in an aquarium, it's been pretty visible to me - one of these is Berkley Trilene, the others are mono:

DSC_0049.jpg

OK, Berkley is a bit pants, these are 4lb Frog Hair fly fishing tippet;

tankfly4.jpg

tankfly1.jpg

tankfly5.jpg