Allcock Aerial - best size?

Aaron1976

Hi everyone,

I wonder if somebody could be so grateful to offer me some advice on what is the best/most useable size for an Allcock Aerial reel (circa 1920s/1930s)...I'm talking about the likes of the Popular and the ventilated six spoke variety.

I've heard talk about the 3.5" being used, but I find this size a bit too small preferring 4" and 4.5", my modern centrepins are nearly always 4.5", so I'd be interested to hear what people favour and why.

The likes of Chris Yates etc seem to prefer 4", are the 4.5" reels a lot heavier or cumbersome to use? Any tips, recommendations or advice most welcome. I'm considering buying a tidy used example (not an expensive museum piece), and would welcome any constructive advice when dealing with such aged and fine reels. Anything to look out for?

Many thanks

Aaron

Hi everyone,

I wonder if somebody could be so grateful to offer me some advice on what is the best/most useable size for an Allcock Aerial reel (circa 1920s/1930s)...I'm talking about the likes of the Popular and the ventilated six spoke variety.

I've heard talk about the 3.5" being used, but I find this size a bit too small preferring 4" and 4.5", my modern centrepins are nearly always 4.5", so I'd be interested to hear what people favour and why.

The likes of Chris Yates etc seem to prefer 4", are the 4.5" reels a lot heavier or cumbersome to use? Any tips, recommendations or advice most welcome. I'm considering buying a tidy used example (not an expensive museum piece), and would welcome any constructive advice when dealing with such aged and fine reels. Anything to look out for?

Many thanks

Aaron

I don't have an original but do have a couple of copies from famous modern reel makers - one is a 4in the other a somewhat bizarre 3&5/8ths dia. Both get used a lot and I would always go for 4 or 3.5 (or something inbetween!) on the grounds of weight. I have and have used 4.5 inch reels but they tire my wrist after a full days trotting - and have given me tennis elbow in the past! That extra ounce or so weight makes a lot of difference over a days angling - to me at least!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

My reels are either 4 or 4 ½ inch diameter. I did have a Greys Bewick which was smaller and lighter but I didn’t get on with it for those reasons. Not everyone agrees with this but I feel that a centrepin has to have some weight in order to balance the rod, particularly the blank I use which is getting on a bit and quite heavy by modern standards.

As regards the Allcock reels you’re looking at I’ve not used one but I’ve always thought that the line lays are set quite deep in the drum on the Popular. The 3 inch and 3 ½ inch versions will take some winding to retrieve, that’s why I didn’t like the Bewick. If it were me I’d go for a 4 inch but like so many other things centrepin it’s all down to personal preference.

The only thing you can be certain about when buying one of these is that it’ll be very old, it’ll probably be very used too. Assuming you’ll be buying online you’ll be relying on photos and the seller’s interpretation of things like wobble, play and free spinning. If the seller has used it for a while a few pointed questions (which require quantitative answers) should indicate its condition. I’d ask how many shot it takes to get it started? How long will it spin for given a good flick? How much wobble is present? How much play is there in the pin/bush (i.e. does the drum rock from side to side)? Also ask whether any of the rivets are loose, is the reel foot secure, does the ratchet work and how strong is it, does the drum rub anywhere?

Somebody who’s just moving it on will give vague answers, even an expert may be gilding the lily but unless you can see the reel there will always be an element of chance. I once found a lovely looking 4 inch Popular in an Antique shop in Hungerford. It was up for £220 but when we took it out of the cabinet for a spin the drum was quite badly out of true. I pointed this out to the shop owner and he was gobsmacked that I was intending to actually use it!

Good luck.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

i 've owned aerial popular's in the past (sold two last year ,too help fund a purchase of another reel) both where 4" versions ,and quite heavy if you where too hold them all day .my preferance would be a ventilated aerial .getting a vintage aerial isn't easy on the wallet ,so getting a good one is a priority .goto a vintage tackle fair and fondle a few (but do take a hankie ,drooling on them is unsightly) redittich must be soon .get a feel for the different sizes .and take loads of money along just ion case .

ultimately a vintage centrepin is just that a centrepin pretty much like any other ,but there is something about using a handbuilt or vintage reel .

a 4½" reel is the best compromise size in relation too handling the reel and retrieval rates ,as a reels with a 4½" dia spool may only have a drum dia of 3½" - 3¾" ,this determines your retrieval rates . A 4" reel is more comfortable in the hand but may only have a drum dia of 2½" - 3½" depending on how deep the spool is .

I have reels of verious sizes and to be honest the sizes aint a problem if i use them on suitable venues ,big reel for big rivers that need the extra dia/retrieval rate for longer swims etc .most of my centrepin fishing is trotting and the retieval rate is only a problem if i'm on a long swim ,and not a problem when theres a fish on

its when retieving after a long trot through ,that winding back empty tackle can be a chore ,that's when i'm glad i can bat the drum (although i mostly use a slightly odd way of batting the drum ,more a sweep & spin technique, rather than the usual happy slapper routine .) to get things back quicker ,to re bait and go again

on shorter swims i prefer reels (mostly aerials & stanton types) with either finger holes or slots i can stick a finger in and twizzle the spool rather than crank the handles and only use the handles occationally .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve