What Bits Do You Hate....?

Guest Wordbender

Guest Wordbender

What aspects of fishing get you down? I don't mean big stuff like blanking, litter, paying for gear, or even getting your tactics wrong on the day, but those little tasks, annoyances and occurrences that seem to be unavoidable.

I hate packing-up - trebly so if it's raining. Plus, I loathe the sweaty trudge back to the car with two Sherpa-loads of gear.

I hate spods that think they're Depth Raider lures and take more cranking in than a foul-hooked skate, then arrive back at the rod-tip having dumped nearly three boilies, instead of the full load you'd rather hoped to deposit.

How about snails, then? I hate snails and slugs, I do. I can hear them rasping across my brolly in the wee-small hours, in that seriously annoying, scritchety-scratch way of theirs. Then, you get up to find silver snot-trails all over your tackle. Not nice at all.

Lastly, I hate it when I lob a fine rig 120 yards, right into position-A, only for a loitering coot-creature to pick up my bait within 30 seconds, ignoring two kilos of freebies in order to do so. I hate it when that happens.I believe it's deliberate.

All of the other bits of fishing, I absolutely love (apart from the bits I hate that I can't think of, right now)and I know there must be plenty of you with pet hates, so let's hear them.

For starters, Elton hates the threat of goats near his bivvy (don't ask) and Gilly hates only having seven courses in his bankside meals. Oh yes, Ian's an eight-course fisherman, alright. :-)

Let's 'ave 'em, then.

Tel.

Guest DonRamos

I absolutely, positively, despise making up hooklengths. And worse than that I feel sick at the thought of having not made enough hooklengths, and running out in the middle of a match. Then you have to faff about with a hooktier, tiny spade end hooks you can hardly see, and all to sit and scratch for a 1/2oz gudgeon in freezing conditions on a semi frozen river so you can come 3rd in your section to earn your club one point.

Maybe I could employ somebody to sit and make up hooklengths for me, but then I would never trust the knots.

Cows are quite scary as well, but I'll save that for another time.

Tight Lines - DonRamos

Guest Elton

Mosquitoes!

Last week, I tried absolutely everything to get this one partcular one to bog off when I was trying to sleep. I even killed it, but that didn't prevent it from buzzing in my ear every time I was about to push the first Z! I suppose it could have been a different one after I killed the first one, but I was convinced at the time that this one particular mozzy was after me. Bully smile.gif

Tight Lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Gaffer

Hi all,

Don't you just hate it when no-one on the lake has caught and you get a screamer only to loose it at the net!

or to get set up in the middle of nowhere to find that your coleman has leaked petrol over everything including your bait!

or when you are woken in the middle of the night when a dead, dried slug falls into your mouth after it was rolled-up and squashed to the top of your bivvy the last time you packed it away!!

I could go on and on...

All the best,

Gaffer.

Guest GlennB

Cows, definitely. Had a bunch of them gather round me last Sunday and I could hear 'em muttering 'You push him in ... no, YOU do it...' as they shuffled closer and closer.

Kids who ask me 'Have you caught any carp, mister?' while I'm fishing for trout on a tiny local chalk stream

Being so keen to get started that I plonk myself down in the first likely spot, unpack and tackle up and start fishing only to realise that I didn't notice half a tree is floating round the weirpool in large circles. So I have to pack up....

Foulhooking

Finding that my sardine deadbaits have come loose in the seat box and everything reeks and will need scrubbing the instant I get home. The dogs seem to love me for it, though.

That thick layer of green slime on the surface that *always* blows down my end of the lake.

Blokes in the angling press who hold the 6lb tench way out in front of them and get their mate to come up so close with the camera that the fish looks twice the size of the bloke who caught it.

The relentless 'marketing' that goes on in Angling articles that are meant to be teaching you something, not trying to sell you the latest 'Bream-o-catcher' groundbait that you could make yourself at home for a quarter the cost.

Er, that's it. Phew. Feel much better now.

Nice one, Wordbender smile.gif

Guest Simon Newbould

Great topic WordBender... I reckon this one could run and run smile.gif

What do I hate?

Setting up in the dark, in the pouring rain only to discover that I've been a pillock again and left my bait at home.

Packing up in the dark, in the pouring rain when I've been a pillock again and left my bait at home!

Spending a the last 20 mins of daylight getting that bait placed just right under that far bank bush only to be woken at 2 in the morning by a 3lb tench.

Waking up to find slugs crawling over my face!

Watching snakes swim straight towards me.

Falling out of big trees!

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 23 June 2000).]

Guest Chris S

Yes we know, many a morning you would come into work and tell us all about the Slug after dusk stories, nothing about the fishing just the slug stories. What did happen to that slug ? Did you ever find what lake it ran off too ? biggrin.gif

Fishing annoyances:

Wildlife diving on the baits when none were around when you cast out. They always beeline straight to the right place. ( How do thay know where you cast too?) mad.gif

The bailiff coming round and saying old so and so had three good twenties from this swim the other day, since then all the fish caught have come from the other bank mad.gif

Spending an age casting to the right spot then your mate in the next swim shouts out "Is that over your line ?" mad.gif

Arriving at the lake, setting up, casting out, sitting down, removing your fag/cigar from its box only to find you left your lighter at home mad.gif

Last but not least that good old favourite:

Have ya caught anyfink mister mad.gif

Chris S smile.gif

Guest RobStubbs

I hate mossies but probably more so anything that picks up my bait. Now apparently carp are meant to but so far I've had a few tench, a couple of bream, no bait (crayfish) and a pick up from a coote.

Seeing the slugs/snails bit reminded me of the last time I fell in. I was trying to kip in the bivvy in a very tight swim and I was hearing these slugs and snails crunching <best description of the sound> along the bivvy. I squeezed around the back and was picking them off when I had a run. Panic ensued as I scrambled back to the front and tripped over the metal swim 'boarding' straight into the lake (thankfully shallow!). I did manage to recover and get the fish in so it wasn't too bad, although the sleeping bag was a bit damp for the rest of the night.

Rob.