What Bits Do You Hate....?

Guest Wordbender

Rats I forgot the rats, I hate them, I can hear them rustling in the undergrowth in the dark and I sit there hissing at them to try & scare them off!

Another I forgot, is these young lads that call themselves carp anglers & talk to me as though I'm a total idiot ie, making out they know what they are talking about and I don't know the first thing about fishing ( they could be right when it comes to carp!)

Guest Graham E

Lyn has reminded me of one.

Women who when you explain the finer points of fishing to them, smile sweetly. thank you, and then proceed to whip your A*** of the next peg!

It's those pheremones/ or is it moans?

I look forward to meeting the kids on the Fish awayday. Especially if the Pike are really large!

Guest Wordbender

I've just thought of something else I really hate.

I really hate it when someone replies to a post on this forum and for no apparent reason they just stop writing in the middle of a sent......

Guest G. Reaper

There seems to be a bit of a birdy/animal theme to this thread, so ....

The most annoying duck ever built is the tufty.

Once they're on your bait, they're up & down like yo-yos. Lob a stone near (not at) them and do they scarper off - they do not - the buggers go down after it.

And they smile at you. Next time you're being tuftied - look closely - they are smiling I tell you!

The thickest duck ever invented is the mallard. Thick but the American military would pay millions for their stealth qualities. Oh how I remember those nights at Horton Kirby when striking the run on a floater was answered by a quack! 'It's your own fault for floatering at night' you might say - Not so reposte I. Being a kind soul I always checked the duck situation before doing it and only cast in if the coast was clear - where they came from is a mystery still. I took to kneeling down with my head just 1" from the ground so that I could see the wake of the bloody things homing in on the bait - in the end I gave up floatering at night at Kirby.

Then there's the white plague - swans. Although I love 'em really they rely on being beautiful and regal to get away with murder. They've mugged me, bitten me, had fights all over my lines and swim and on one occasion, one swam off with a whole herring deadbait for some reason (I was soooo relieved it didn't manage to hook itself - lord knows how it got away with it).

Then there's moles. Never try to push one back down its hole cos they bite!

I shant mention the fish and bait nicking foxes at Dungeness. I refuse to talk about the mad horse that disliked the exact colour green that the old bivvies used to be.

But I suppose the bit I hate most is the extreme indifference with which the fish view my baits - when I can actually get fishing that is!

Oh ... leading on from that - I dislike having a brilliant, infallible, brainwave type idea that can't possibly fail and then spending months finding out that it can.

Ray

Guest BUDGIE

G.REAPER Very interested in your post concerning Tufted Ducks and their reaction to stones thrown at them.Do you think that if I threw stones at my wife she would go down?

Guest Steve Burke

The fact that almost every water, suitable or not, has carp in it. As I mentioned in On The Bank (see What's New?) a stretch of the Kentish Teise, a typical 10 foot wide trout stream, even has double figure carp in it! And hardly any chub now! frown.gif

Waters with stupid bans. One I know doesn't just ban certain baits, it actually lists those that *can* be used. As far as I can recall there's only 4: maggots, caster, luncheon meat and sweetcorn. No bread, no worms, no imagination - and probably by now, no anglers either! frown.gif

Talking of bans, I used to do a lot of fishing on a particular river for roach. Eventually I got to know the farmer and, after rescuing one of his sheep that was stuck in the river, asked whether a friend and I could fish on that evening after dark. I explained we didn't want to fish all night, just to about 11pm. The farmer said "of course you can, what's the problem?" "Well night fishing's banned isn't it?" "Not by me it isn't, stay as long as you like, whenever you like", he replied.

The night fishing ban was of course imposed by the club that the farmer rented the fishing too. I raised the point at the next AGM. The result: the ban stayed in place. Needless to say we were able to stay on after dark! smile.gif

Guest BUDGIE

In the winter when I am Pike fishing on rivers,drains and pits I use four rods with back-biter type alarms I like to spread my rods out.Despite the distances involved I ensure that not only can I hear the first indication of a run but also see the visual drop arm as well.My bite indication,hooking and unhooking skills have been perfected over the years.I HATE it when some half wit part time piker or baillif walks half a mile to give me a bank side lecture on the dangers of deep hooking pike.EVEN THOUGH THE **** HAS LEFT HIS OWN BAITS STILL IN THE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!BACK AT HIS SWIM!!!!!!!!

Also on a more lighter note have you noticed how when fishing like this some scabby little terrier will cock his leg at rod 1, set of the alarm,then startled it will sprint off colliding in turn with rods 2,3 and 4!

Guest Steve Randles

so your the bu**er that tripped me dog up...?:]

[This message has been edited by Steve Randles (edited 29 June 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Steve Randles (edited 29 June 2000).]