Good Spinning Rod for under £100

Jarmin

There are lots.

What are you looking to use it for ?

Spinning rods go from ultralight 4' sticks that will only cast lures upto about 6g right up to saltwater rods designed for throwing big poppers and taming Giant Trevelly.

For most UK fishing, you can probably get away with two rods:

a light rod in the 6 - 8' range rated to cast 5 - 25g will cover chub, trout, perch and smaller pike.

A heavier rod of 7 - 9' rated to cast 20 - 60g will do the business throwing bigger lures for zander, pike and bass.

My personal choices would generally be towards shorter rods with a short butt section behind the reel grip so that it can be manovered around my body and not get caught up on bankside vegetation when casting, this also gives me better lure control - but if you tend to fish waters that require distance casting or have extensive bankside reeds and rushes, your priorities might be different.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

jarmin

brought myself a ET tormentor 9 foot 30-60grms off friendly fisherman for £75 great rod

and managed to pick up a shimano Exage4000RA for £40 no p&P....well it was christmas :D:rolleyes:

Edited by smudger

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

I use a 9ft 15-50gr Drennan Spinflex for most of my lure fishing, has been a good rod but rings are quite fragile....can't complain though for £50.

Those ET rods from the Friendly Fisherman look good, never used one though.

I always think that own label stuff from Friendly Fisherman tends to be dear. The Wychwood Rogue rods are definitely worth looking at. So is stuff from Ron Thompson. There are some really excellent spinning rods out there, for less than £50.00. There are often excellent deals on E-Bay with ABU.

this year really want to concentrate on spinning for perch and chub on the quite stretch of river I live near.

A 9ft rod rated to cast 15-50gr is absolute overkill for chub and perch.

Try something like a 7' Daiwa Regal Spinning Rod rated to cast 5 - 20g paired with a Shimano Exage EXG1000FA.

Load the reel up with 100m of 10lb fireline and you're good to go.

You'll then need to buy a spool of uncoated 15lb 7 strand wire, a couple of packs of small duolock snaps and small (size14) swivels and a pair of forceps so that you can spin up your own traces.

A few size 2 and 3 spinners, a couple of heddon torpaedo's and a few Shakespeare little S plugs in dull colours and you're ready to go fishing and the total bill should be well under £100.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A 9ft rod rated to cast 15-50gr is absolute overkill for chub and perch.Try something like a 7' Daiwa Regal Spinning Rod rated to cast 5 - 20g paired with a Shimano Exage EXG1000FA.Load the reel up with 100m of 10lb fireline and you're good to go.You'll then need to buy a spool of uncoated 15lb 7 strand wire, a couple of packs of small duolock snaps and small (size14) swivels and a pair of forceps so that you can spin up your own traces.A few size 2 and 3 spinners, a couple of heddon torpaedo's and a few Shakespeare little S plugs in dull colours and you're ready to go fishing and the total bill should be well under £100.

the 7 ft version wouldnt be overkil 1.5tc and will chuck 4-15gm

an absolute delight of a rod with a little more poke than the daiwa samuri i have with the same casting weight range

Edited by noodle996

the 7 ft version wouldnt be overkil 1.5tc and will chuck 4-15gm

an absolute delight of a rod with a little more poke than the daiwa samuri i have with the same casting weight range

Yep, that seems a reasonable choice as well. I was just a bit suprised to see suggestions for big heavy rods when Jarmin had indicated (in his other thread) that he is new to lure fishing and that he wanted to target chub and perch.

Just to add that stepping up to an 8' rod and 2000 size reel won't be quite as much fun with the chub and perch but it will let you deal much more easily with pike (and cast the lures to target them) and it also up to a bit of holliday bass fishing. Just depends on how you want to balance fun with your main targets against flexibility.

Jarmin if you have (think i may get shouted at now for this) a decathlon superstore near you

have a look in there as they have loads of tiny alpahbet plugs (think little s style) be geo logic and they are well made with vmc hooks on em

DSC04355.jpg

second from the bottom is a salmo hornet? may be wrong on that but they are a top ultralight crankbait

3rd and forth up from the bottom are geologic ones

next one up will do as well shimano shapeshifter the one above it is a deep version of the shimano