how long will maggots keep?

jackhammer

I bought them on sunday, attempted to go fishing but got very cold and wet so I came home, I plan to go on thursday but will my maggots keep till then.

They are being kept in a dark shed with a small paint tin on top to stop the little buggers escaping :)

Thanks

in the cold and dark they will last for a couple of months but gradually lose weight

you have to look after them though ,nice bedding and no smell of ammonia and only take what you need out of the box ,those you return will turn quicker than the dormant ones left in the box.rather than cool a fridge is best

its amusing to think of the conversation the sprightly warmed up ones have with the sleepy ones on their return ,tales of adventure before they cool down and nod off :D

why do you need a paint tin on the top? hopefully its allowing air circulation ?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

in the cold and dark they will last for a couple of months but gradually lose weight

you have to look after them though ,nice bedding and no smell of ammonia and only take what you need out of the box ,those you return will turn quicker than the dormant ones left in the box.rather than cool a fridge is best

its amusing to think of the conversation the sprightly warmed up ones have with the sleepy ones on their return ,tales of adventure before they cool down and nod off :D

why do you need a paint tin on the top? hopefully its allowing air circulation ?

when I was fishing the other day I was set underneath my umbrella and I looked down to make sure non of my stuff had blown away, I then noticed a large number of the buggers squirming away from the box, they had pushed the lid that had me loosely put on and escaped, Theres still plenty of small holes in the lid of the maggi box still open though :)

I think the warmed up maggots would be welcomed back as heroes!

Thanks

when I was fishing the other day I was set underneath my umbrella and I looked down to make sure non of my stuff had blown away, I then noticed a large number of the buggers squirming away from the box, they had pushed the lid that had me loosely put on and escaped, Theres still plenty of small holes in the lid of the maggi box still open though :)

I think the warmed up maggots would be welcomed back as heroes!

Thanks

yes once they get wet their escape artists ,i remember when i was 16 dyeing a batch of the buggers and on looking an hour later the box was empty but there were scores of green dye trails all over the place.

i managed to hide the trails wiping them off but a lot of bluff was needed when a month or so later my bedroom was full of flies :oops:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I bought them on sunday, attempted to go fishing but got very cold and wet so I came home, I plan to go on thursday but will my maggots keep till then.

They are being kept in a dark shed with a small paint tin on top to stop the little buggers escaping :)

Thanks

Depends how long they were in the shop before you bought them as well. I've not tried to keep any for 2 months yet but over the Christmas period when I was able to keep them in a fridge they were fine for at least a couple of weeks. If they're in the shed I keep them in an old washing up bowl with no lid, it gives them plenty of space and stops them sweating. As long as they stay dry they won't be able to crawl up the sides.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

i have a couple of ali maggot boxes with a nice lip that defeated all but the extra determined ,who says new is better :D

I bought half a pint yesterday, they are fresh and big with lots of maize. I always put mine in a bait box in a plastic carrier bag and just leave them in my coal bunker outside, they should last a fortnight or so, but i'd try to use them within a week or they won't be as good. If i get round to buying a mini fridge they would last weeks if not months in there. The thing with maggots is to keep them cold and dry, and if you are keeping them for a while keep them clean as well.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I bought half a pint yesterday, they are fresh and big with lots of maize. I always put mine in a bait box in a plastic carrier bag and just leave them in my coal bunker outside, they should last a fortnight or so, but i'd try to use them within a week or they won't be as good. If i get round to buying a mini fridge they would last weeks if not months in there. The thing with maggots is to keep them cold and dry, and if you are keeping them for a while keep them clean as well.

thats acutally a good idea, I'll get myself a mini fridge, that way I can just go into town whenever I have time and pick up a pint or two of them, and then I should have a constant supply, without mother getting angry :)

thats acutally a good idea, I'll get myself a mini fridge, that way I can just go into town whenever I have time and pick up a pint or two of them, and then I should have a constant supply, without mother getting angry :)