how long will maggots keep?

jackhammer

I bought half a pint yesterday, they are fresh and big with lots of maize. I always put mine in a bait box in a plastic carrier bag and just leave them in my coal bunker outside, they should last a fortnight or so, but i'd try to use them within a week or they won't be as good. If i get round to buying a mini fridge they would last weeks if not months in there. The thing with maggots is to keep them cold and dry, and if you are keeping them for a while keep them clean as well.

thats acutally a good idea, I'll get myself a mini fridge, that way I can just go into town whenever I have time and pick up a pint or two of them, and then I should have a constant supply, without mother getting angry :)

I find mum doesnt care so long as she cant see them or anything haha, thats why they stay in the coal bunker.

Once in summer i persuaded her to let me keep a pint of pinkies in the fridge because it was so hot outside i knew they'd only last a day or two. I used a normal maggot box and they got out the holes because they were so small, got up in the morning to find them all over the milk bottle and food and everything. After that i know i need to keep bait out of the house and away from mum because she went mad!

In summer i'll get a mini fridge because maggots/worms/pinkies won't last more than a day or so in the heat of summer

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Since the weather has not exactly been suntan weather of late, I just keep mine in a tub on the doorstep, not sure what the postman makes of it!!!

But basically mate, as its been said, depends how old they are when you get them from the shop and then how cold you keep them.

Since the weather has not exactly been suntan weather of late, I just keep mine in a tub on the doorstep, not sure what the postman makes of it!!!

But basically mate, as its been said, depends how old they are when you get them from the shop and then how cold you keep them.

gonna nip out into the shed now, see if theres been any escapees :)