Naming fish, mainly carp.

Guest Gaffer

I think it's perfectly natural for people to give nicknames to something that they want to describe repeatedly - it's the way people work in real life (ie outside fishing biggrin.gif ). On waters with regular recaptures imagine trying to describe which fish you'd caught when they constantly change weight (the usual measure) and people's descriptive powers vary wildly. It's far easier to say I caught 'Eric the carp' rather than say 'I caught that twenty, you know the one, the one with fins, scales and stuff, the one with the funny fin' etc etc.

Originally posted by davidP:

I think it's perfectly natural for people to give nicknames to something that they want to describe repeatedly - it's the way people work in real life (ie outside fishing biggrin.gif ).

I agree it is easier if something has a nickname, I have one and as soon as I say s*** face all my friends know who I'm talking about biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

lyn

Guest kevin.snow
Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

Whoops be careful BUDGIE you have upset the almighty CARP GODS again biggrin.gif

I for one do not want to go carp fishing and catch Old One Eye at 23lbs, I just want to go carp fishing and enjoy it without all the nonsense that goes along with it these days.

My sentiments as well,

I enjoy carp fishing for the thrill of catching carp no matter what size, it also gets me away from the stress of life i can sit there and forget the world for a few hours, And (sorry Lyn) get away from the wife biggrin.gif

Guest Bruno Broughton
Originally posted by Graham E:

Just in case he now gets a tad lonely. Nelson is alive and well and living in South Lake Woodley, Berks

When I was there to give fishery advice a few years ago, a stretch of bank was reserved for model boat enthusiasts. So... is Nelson about to sink this particular Armada? biggrin.gif

------------------

Bruno

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by BUDGIE:

NO,No,No,Nooooo Chris I thought your post backed myself and many other frustrated "traditional" carp anglers perfectly.This thread was going along nicely untill Paul lept out of his pram!Dam! I promised no more off thread posts!!

Once again BUDGIE be carefull, he who must obeyed may be copyrighting carp fishing as we speak wink.gif

The carp gods are watching......

------------------

Chris Shaw

Guest **sam**

lets get back on thread then children.

my dads dear old mate, the late mr victor gillings of coarse fisherman fame had names for most fish.

one of the cats him and my dad regularly caught from claydon back in the early eighties was called 'branches' because of its split barbules.

another target of victors was a battered old barbel in the colne which was dubbed 'the warrior'. he wrote about this fish in his articles in dave halls mag about 10 years ago.

since then, dave ball and pete bond to name 2 have repeatedly caught the same fish.

coupled with 'the scourge' in the sturgeon water, it seems that carp are not the only ones. so that also means that its not just carp anglers who are sad!

keep it real!

**sam**

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by Gaffer:

A comment that keeps on cropping up is the naming of fish, mainly carp.

Personally I can't see the difference between naming a fish and naming a swim for example.

Surely it's easier to name a fish than try to describe it, like, the 20lb mirror with two large scales on it's left flank and one small scale on it's right flank...etc.

What are your thoughts?

Atb,

Gaffer.

My mate and I started naming carp on our local water until we realised what we were doing. We stopped fishing there for a year.

It just seemed as if we were treating the fish with contempt.

Besides that I have a bad memory for names.

I think that it is just a British thing.

Alan(nl)