Confused over spinning reels!

Jarmin

Till last year was a bit of a fair weather fisherman. However I really got into it last season and this year really want to concentrate on spinning for perch and chub on the quite stretch of river I live near. So before I go and throw money at my local tackle shop owner I thought i'd better get some advice from you pros.

So is it fixed spool, spincast or underspin reel? Pros and cons ...

Till last year was a bit of a fair weather fisherman. However I really got into it last season and this year really want to concentrate on spinning for perch and chub on the quite stretch of river I live near. So before I go and throw money at my local tackle shop owner I thought i'd better get some advice from you pros.

So is it fixed spool, spincast or underspin reel? Pros and cons ...

I had a spincast reel when I was a kid. I wouldn't recommend it. I think a small fixed spool is a far better tool for lightweight spinning. Apart from anything else, given the limited choice of lure rods we have, you will find it easier to find a light spinning rod that is rung (ringed? rang?) for a fixed spool.

I don't think it really matters which type you use ,as for the distances you'll be fishing they're pretty muchley matched ! ,the only real difference s how well you could cast wth the different styles of reels ,the open faced (fixed spool) reel would be the most framilier to you as its the most common type of reel in angling ,(the other two are basically the same reel its just the mounting possition on the rod that differ's .

i'd recommend that you stick with a open faced reel for now ,because if yoou can handle these ,then the closed faced spnnng reels wont be a problem .and the open faced reel wll be more accessable should you get any tangles .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

It's fixed spool. The others don't even enter the frame, mainly because you can't feather your casts with spincast type reels and that's going to make dropping spinners into tiny holes in the willows hard work.

Take a look at the front drag shimano's in 1000 or 2000 size. Which one depends on your budget.

For a whole raft of reasons, front drag scores over rear drag/baitrunner type reels for lure fishing but lighter weight and smoother, more powerful drags are top of the list.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Most spincast reels are not very good and not much fun to use. We have found one that is and now have 4 of them so we can carry pre-rigged rods. I like them because with light lines, I have fewer problems with wind knots and the like and have gotten rid of all the small fixed spool reels I owned.

For heavier lines, I like the baitcasting style of multiplier for some applications and fixed spool for others.

At the end of the day, there is no single style of rod or reel that is well suited to all types of fishing and if I fished some UK waters (smallish rivers with light to moderate flow mainly), I'd also be learning how to use a centerpin.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Most spincast reels are not very good and not much fun to use. We have found one that is and now have 4 of them so we can carry pre-rigged rods. I like them because with light lines, I have fewer problems with wind knots and the like and have gotten rid of all the small fixed spool reels I owned.

For heavier lines, I like the baitcasting style of multiplier for some applications and fixed spool for others.

At the end of the day, there is no single style of rod or reel that is well suited to all types of fishing and if I fished some UK waters (smallish rivers with light to moderate flow mainly), I'd also be learning how to use a centerpin.

Thanks for all the feed back guys. Newt you raise a point about centerpins reels, I like the idea of learning to use one. Having never used one before is there a specific type I should be looking for for spinning? Is a really tricky skill that will take years to perfect?

Jarmin - I've only seen pins from photos and only know about them from discussions on here but I do know enough from those two sources to know that if I did live in the UK I would be taking a serious look at adding a pin to the gear I have. If I lived in the northern US, I probably would as well because they are a good fit for some conditions and fish up there.

We do have some very experienced folk on here who use them and fish with them regularly so you should get answers from some who do know what they are talking about..

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

This is a first foray into the world of lure angling and trying to use a centerpin is really making life hard for yourself.

The problems of trying to cast a revolving spool reel are largely overcome in baitcasters by the use of a super light weight spools and frictional and magnetic breaks. A centerpin has a relativly high mass spool, lots of centrifugal forces because that spool has a large diameter and no breaking system at all. This is a recipie for disaster.

In fact, the only person I've ever heared of using a true centerpin (not a sidecast) for casting lures was a Aussie and he was casting metal slugs in saltwater. The magazine article was rather incredulus that he'd demonstrated that it was even possible.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

This is a first foray into the world of lure angling and trying to use a centerpin is really making life hard for yourself.

The problems of trying to cast a revolving spool reel are largely overcome in baitcasters by the use of a super light weight spools and frictional and magnetic breaks. A centerpin has a relativly high mass spool, lots of centrifugal forces because that spool has a large diameter and no breaking system at all. This is a recipie for disaster.

In fact, the only person I've ever heared of using a true centerpin (not a sidecast) for casting lures was a Aussie and he was casting metal slugs in saltwater. The magazine article was rather incredulus that he'd demonstrated that it was even possible.

Oh now you've done it. That brings back horrible memories of my very first beach fishing session.....I was 12 years old. I had an 8ft fly rod and a cheapo centrepin and could not figure out why I couldn't cast my 1/4 ounce bullet lead any further than 5 yards and why each attempt ended up in a huge bird's nest. After all a centrepin and multiplier do the same thing don't they?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back