Your aquaria

Steve Walker

Glass catfish, Kryptopterus bicirrhis, a Thai / Malaysian species. Fascinating little things. Viscera all cramped up behind the head, and then a long transparent tail. They're a mid to upper water shoaling fish of flowing water, very much a "looking up" kind of fish, from what I can tell.

Edited by Steve Walker

Glass catfish, Kryptopterus bicirrhis, a Thai / Malaysian species. Fascinating little things. Viscera all cramped up behind the head, and then a long transparent tail. They're a mid to upper water shoaling fish of flowing water, very much a "looking up" kind of fish, from what I can tell.

I was not sure if they were Kryptopterus bicirrhis or Kryptopterus minor.

Kryptopterus bicirrhis are what Thai fish sauce (nam pla) is made from.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

K. bicirrhis

Kryptopterus_species.jpg

K. minor

Kryptopterus.jpg

Your fish

glasscat.jpg

I'd definitely go with K. minor

Either way the make a tasty condiment ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Yep, I think you have it right, though my fish shop bloke said that they turn milky when stressed, so that may not be a good differentiator.

I always assumed that Nam Pla was made out of something marine and anchovy-esque, didn't realise it was a little catfish. At least I know what to do if they snuff it!

Yep, I think you have it right, though my fish shop bloke said that they turn milky when stressed, so that may not be a good differentiator.

I always assumed that Nam Pla was made out of something marine and anchovy-esque, didn't realise it was a little catfish. At least I know what to do if they snuff it!

I used to think it was made out of squid, but that's just a brand.

I know that they turned white/opaque when they were dead.

This could get rather pythonesque.

"That fish is not dead, it's just distressed sir"

Edited by corydoras