My flouro hook lengths snap sometimes

JackPike

I have just taken up barbel fishing and the Wife and I are having some good luck on each outing but on the last couple of trips we have had the flouro HL's snap right by the hooks I am using the knotless knot with a hair rig 10lbs BS. The other night we hooked into a snig (thats a eel for anyone South of Lancs) which spund around after being landed and snapped the HL by the hook. Should I change the line to a stronger BS or start looking at braid ?

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff

I have found fluro hooklinks need some serious tlc when tying, making sure the knot is very wet before tightening them and also gently working the knot down helps rather than pulling/sliding it down.

I have been converted to Berkley Transition this year, its a superb fluro and knots well however it needs to watched for damege.

I've just got some 10lb Berkely Transition too. Its the limpest mono/fluoro I've ever used. So far it hasnt let me down.

Jackpike, make sure you've wound the hook length on the hook the right way around. The hook will have a small 'break'just below the eye, from the manufacturing process. If the last returning turn before you put the trace length back through the eye, butts up against the 'break', it will sink into the gap under pressure and snap.

[ 20. October 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have found that flourocarbon often deforms or flattens slightly when tying knots like grinners.

why not use ordinary mono, i like the sufix hooklength monos, they are supple, but still strong. i dont see a big advantage of flourocarbons over monos unless the fish are very wary.

dave

I'm with you Jackpike. The fluorocarbon I use seems to have too much memory for the knotless knot. Although I've never had it snap on me, it does always appear perilously injured after tying.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Berkely Vanish Transition is virtually 100% memory free. Just flops off the spool.

[ 19. October 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

jack pike,

what brand you on?

i havent fished for barbel since last year but i used ESP ghost in 10lb,not had any probs with it,it is a bit springy and thick diameter but it does the job mate and has never let me down,could try vanish as reco by gerry.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!