June 16th

Leon Roskilly

Usually Father's day falls on the first weekend of the old coarse fishing season start (June 16th, now confined just to rivers), meaning that the nation's fishing fathers were confined to family events with 3 months of suppressed urge to go fishing that needed to be released.

So many grumpy dads!

This year, the first I can remember, June 16th is on the Monday following father's day (I wonder how many traditionalists and river anglers will not be at work on Monday?)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to go away for the whole week :(

Fishing :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

This topic gave me goose pimples! I hope there doesn't come a point where June 16th is just another day.

I'm still in a bit of a quandry, the Thames is unfishable as are a few tributaries, and the weather is looking a bit unpredictable - in fact it's now saying we're due an absolute deluge on the 15th, which would scupper any plans. I'll definitely be taking the day off if anywhere's fishable, but if not this may be the 1st 16 June I can remember when I don't fish :schmoll:

Some options at the moment, depending on what various rivers are like are:

• Bream fishing on the Thames - all nice and traditional with soft quivertips and groundbait feeders
    Trotting for roach on the Thames with bread mash/flake
    Stalking chub on a tributary
    Trotting for whatever comes along on a tributary
    Trying to suss out another tributary where I've spotted loads of good chub but can't catch any. This little river is going to be my main focus this season, I reckon there are some really good chub, roach and perch here, but it's very tricky

Fingers crosssed, as usual...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

i've fished on June 16th since i was 5 yrs old even my teachers got to know not to expect to see me then. I'd like to get out on the river but if all else fails i'll fish somewhere. Its become tradition now regardless of if there is a season or not june 16th holds so many memories i'll always be by the side of water on that date. even picked out a grave yard where i can keep up the tradition.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I've only 'missed' one 16th June since I was at school - and that was due to a 'favourite' uncle choosing that day to get married. He wasn't a favourite uncle after that!

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well, Chris, to be quite honest the weather doesn't look very promising. What with more rainfall expected, and a sudden drop of ten degrees of temperature predicted with the arrival of The Great Polar Blast towards the end of this week, there really doesn't seem much point going fishing. You might as well sell all your gear. Including those wonderful centrepin reels you've got, which have been thoroughly distressing me since I read that other thread. Especially the Witchers. Oh, yes- especially those. So. What's your asking price?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.