June 16th

Leon Roskilly

There was a time when I always used to take the first week of the fishing season as a holiday. This changed after several years in succession, when I got fed up of packing in early, soaking wet, then shivering in front of the gas fire when I got back home.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that the 16th now just means that I can go river fishing when I want to for another year.The great anticipation and indeed excitment of the opening night has now gone for me.I dont know if thats a bad thing or a good thing though.

In days of old I suffered from severe and debilitating PST (Pre Season Tension) For at least three weeks before the season started I was an absolute wreck.Couldnt concentrate on work,family life or anything. My first wife had the answer though,she would just pack me off to live in my bivvy beside the lake for the last few days of the closed season! Despite having plenty of time to get all the gear ready I hated anyone comming to chat to me on the evening of the 15th the tension in me was so great.Once the rods were cast out just after midnight a strange calm would come over me!

Worst ever effect of PST was opening day of 1988. I was just starting my pre release from the Army and had been taking an HGV1 driving course (thought there would be more chance of getting a job with a HGV1 licence than a certificate saying I had completed a three week brick laying course!) I was mortified when they informed me that my test would be on the 16th! Try concentrating on driving an artic with a 44' trailer with PST! Even the test route went past loads of waters! Needless to say I blew it!

I'm the same Budgie, have no dreamy views and excitment about the 16th, just glad I'll be able to sack off the driving to lakes and will be able to walk from my house to decent stretches of river to fish

Not in to lakes myself so taking the day off work. Was going to occupy my normal stretch of the medway, but have decided to walk the club stretch with my new travel rod. Might visit a pub or two on route.

I am properly jealous now - once again I've ruined the opening day by doing loads of tench fishing in April and May.

Just bought my 2008 rod licence online.... :yeah:

First time in a few years that I've not fished at all in the closed season. If I'd been able to make Wingham, I'd have had to buy a licence then, and having bought it would have got in some "cheaty" tenching, but as it is I've just not had the chance.

I think I'll probably knock off work early on Monday and go down to the river. Either a free stretch of the Thames or a day ticket stretch of the Avon, I think.

Just bought my 2008 rod licence online.... :yeah:

First time in a few years that I've not fished at all in the closed season. If I'd been able to make Wingham, I'd have had to buy a licence then, and having bought it would have got in some "cheaty" tenching, but as it is I've just not had the chance.

I sympathize Steve. I bought my rod license yesterday online for the very same reasons. I've changed to Tuesday for a full day off as I'll be fishing from the yak. Still waiting for a call back on my local stretch for a yearbook. I may have to get a dayticket for it.. :huh:

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Well, I am looking forward to it as I have not cast a line since March. I have tomorrow off and will be making an early start Monday morning. Not going for midnight, as I won't be struggling for a swim where I am going. I will have the morning on the Teme and then will probably pop over to the Avon for the evening if I am struggling on the Teme.

Paul

That's terrible Leon. The Twins get their fourth series of jabs tomorrow so here to hoping they'll be well enough for my day out. Hope you feel better.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I dot a cold, and so will being staying tucked up playing with my new AN centrepin tomorrow, only day-dreaming of being fishing :(

Sorry to hear you are not to good, pleanty of Vitamin C and Manoka honey is the best cure for sore throats. Hope you get out soon, I am going to have a little trot for a chub just to have a play with my pin before I settle down to some barbel fishing.

My day will be short because of getting back for Liam.

Get well soon.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Leon,

Anya got your call and told me you weren't coming tomorrow. Very sorry to hear it, I'll give you a call about lunchtime, to see if you fancy an evening somewhere with me driving.

I'm off to you know where now, as it's 2 hours to go and I've been pre-baiting for a few days! No signs of big 'uns yet, but I've found out that since it was de-silted, it's about 3' deeper than when you last fished it. Loads of bubbles!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org