June 16th

Leon Roskilly

Usually Father's day falls on the first weekend of the old coarse fishing season start (June 16th, now confined just to rivers), meaning that the nation's fishing fathers were confined to family events with 3 months of suppressed urge to go fishing that needed to be released.

So many grumpy dads!

This year, the first I can remember, June 16th is on the Monday following father's day (I wonder how many traditionalists and river anglers will not be at work on Monday?)

not just rivers Leon ,Both Frensham ponds have a close season as they'r NT owned and they want the close season as it was ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be fishing all week on the Thames and maybe a trip or two up the Ouse.

I will be fishing for bites.

I will have a wide,stupid,delirious grin all day on the 16th having reacquainted myself with this magnificent river once more. I shall be looking up towards the sky from time to time, not to check for rain clouds, but to think " I hope Peter Stone and Fred. J Taylor are looking down today, and maybe, just maybe, they will pop down later for a cast or two....."

I have sorely missed her for the last 13 weeks, but so, so glad she has the time to rest, regain her strength and beauty and appear again proud and gleaming like a shiny new penny!!

I can't wait!! :clap2:

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Did you pass?

This is my first year of the 16th being significant since I was a kid and the close season applied to all waters. Since then I've largely fished commercials but during February this year I bought a CP and re-discovered rivers, the close season came at the wrong time for me.

Monday is booked off work and I'll be trotting the Kennet whatever the weather or water conditions.

I got a B! and a sore ear from the Victorian throwback Maths teacher who twisted it everytime he walked past. I don't think it was the puddles he disapproved of so much, it might of been the smell of the middleages mud that caught his attention.

I was very lucky growing up. I grew up in Cantley on the banks on the River Yare and Acle on the banks of the River Bure. Fishing was only ever a five minute push bike ride away. I hold dear the memories of the first Summer after leaving school, we were camped on the Yare at Buckenham for 10 days solid from the 16th and then I'm not sure if more than two days passed that Summer that were'nt spent fishing..

It's just a shame that as time passes there are so many things to get in the way of the important things in life.

By the way it poured down in London last night, a proper downpour from maybe midnight through to the early morning. I'll have to get the spies out to see if they got the same in Norfolk and Suffolk. It would of been enough to top the river again..

......the Victorian throwback Maths teacher..........

That's why you got a B. Similar teachers to mine, not enough of them around these days.

Off topic, potentially controversial statement but couldn't help it, sorry. Back on topic... the weather doesn't look great for my area but I've yet to encounter anything that'll stop my loafer from making its way downstream.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Can't afford to take the whole day off on Monday, as I'm currently working as a temp, but I'll be fishing from 4.00am until it's time to go to work....there's a big roach with my name on it. I've booked it specially for Monday morning....

Luckily my local river is just a couple of hundred yards away from my home, so I have time to go home and get changed before I go into the office.

I'll be taking my fishing gear to work with me, in anticipation of a few hours in the evening on my way home too. If you happen to see a mad woman sitting on the bank, dressed in a business suit with a handbag nearby, it'll be me! Other women keep perfume and cosmetics in their lockers at work - I have a tub of worms and pellets...

Janet

I will be fishing all week on the Thames and maybe a trip or two up the Ouse.

I will be fishing for bites.

I will have a wide,stupid,delirious grin all day on the 16th having reacquainted myself with this magnificent river once more. I shall be looking up towards the sky from time to time, not to check for rain clouds, but to think " I hope Peter Stone and Fred. J Taylor are looking down today, and maybe, just maybe, they will pop down later for a cast or two....."

I have sorely missed her for the last 13 weeks, but so, so glad she has the time to rest, regain her strength and beauty and appear again proud and gleaming like a shiny new penny!!

I can't wait!! :clap2:

I am properly jealous now - once again I've ruined the opening day by doing loads of tench fishing in April and May. This will be the second year that the 16th won't have that extra special something. It'll still be exciting, but nothing compares with the opening day after 3 months of dreaming...

Good luck Chris, and look out Thames!! Hope to hear stories of contentment, adventure and monsters...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It'll still be exciting, but nothing compares with the opening day after 3 months of dreaming...

I must admit that the 16th now just means that I can go river fishing when I want to for another year.The great anticipation and indeed excitment of the opening night has now gone for me.I dont know if thats a bad thing or a good thing though.

In days of old I suffered from severe and debilitating PST (Pre Season Tension) For at least three weeks before the season started I was an absolute wreck.Couldnt concentrate on work,family life or anything. My first wife had the answer though,she would just pack me off to live in my bivvy beside the lake for the last few days of the closed season! Despite having plenty of time to get all the gear ready I hated anyone comming to chat to me on the evening of the 15th the tension in me was so great.Once the rods were cast out just after midnight a strange calm would come over me!

Worst ever effect of PST was opening day of 1988. I was just starting my pre release from the Army and had been taking an HGV1 driving course (thought there would be more chance of getting a job with a HGV1 licence than a certificate saying I had completed a three week brick laying course!) I was mortified when they informed me that my test would be on the 16th! Try concentrating on driving an artic with a 44' trailer with PST! Even the test route went past loads of waters! Needless to say I blew it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i will be chugging along the motorway to the big salty river and its handy campsite at folkestone :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Now shall I go back to an old tradition and go for a tench session on Frensham big pond or the Loddon for the barbel, mmmmmmmmmmmm whatever, it will be good to wet a line again after a 3 month rest :clap2::clap2::D

I just can't wait, as Matthew is away with the TA I may just have to settle for the river once I have got Liam off to school.

Good luck to everyone going out on Monday and Happy glorious 16th to you all, "I'm so excited that I just can't hide it, I'm about to loose control but I think I like it"

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!