Pike null

Jeff S

This morning was my first time fishing here in the UK. I ended up with two brown trout, one at 10 inches and the other at 15. I also ended up with a nice size chub at 18 inches. I didn't take a scale with me so weight can be estimated?? Using mainly Rapalas, I caught nothing but read on a website that spinners generally catch pike. After an hour of nothing at multiple pegs, I switched to the spinner (gold in color and made by shakespierre) and made a catch immediately. I didn't catch any pike but at least caught something.. Any suggestions for next time? The water is clear at least to 18 inches and the bottom has a covering of leaves. I am river fishing and the depth seems to range from 3 to 8 feet depending on the swim. I'd prefer not to fish live or dead bait since I'd rather walk to keep warm. I've also changed out most trebles to single hooks so as not to cause too much damage.

Cheers

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Hi Dvarcet, the weather today was not that good for lure fishing! Low pressure weather fronts are not normally that productive. Not knowing the river was probably another factor against you.

A plug with a lip that could trip the bottom might be good. A soft bodied shad fished sink and draw style would be well worth trying, be my first choice. Some folk might recommend spinner baits so perhaps you could try one as well.

Re the single hooks, go along with that choice. Circle hooks are pretty efficient and worth a try.

If this is your first time in the UK then where do you normally fish?

Clear water the pike will sight hunt. So give em something that look real. Avoid lures with dangly treble hooks. Use the finest wire you can find that is strong enough to do the job. Fish the lure fairly fast so they can't really get a good look at it or use a life-like soft plastic. Spinner baits - stay with a single blade and prefer a willow shape. Looks more like a very small bait fish being chased by a slightly larger fish.

Murky water the pike will sound hunt. Cranks are fine and I like the ones with a rattle chamber. Bang em into any obstructions you can find. Spinner baits - go with larger body, double blades, fish it slower. Again, bang any obstructions you can find.

I know the conventional wisdom has it that smaller lures fished slower are better for cold water. Well, not always. A fast moving lure that bounces around gives the pike two choices - eat it quick before it escapes or let it escape. No way a pike wants to let a meal that swims right by it's face escape. Reaction strikes and even from fish that aren't the least bit hungry.

If you have really clear surface water, you might want to try a buzz bait early and late.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good Morning fellas and thanks for the timely replies! I thought I would hit it again before the rain comes in. It is likely to rain yet again over the next few days. Not a far cry from any other as of late. I'm from the US Peter and spent a huge amount of time fishing the Mississippi gulf ooast near Biloxi. The tackle is slightly different, as well as the weather, as it rarely breaks 40 degrees in winter and well over 100 in the summer. Most of the fishing was more productive at night and around light where bait fish and shrimp were attracted.

I'm going to try as you all suggested and let you know how I get on. I started keeping a fishing diary to record my catch and water/weather conditions. I also found much information at this website. http://www.nhull.freeserve.co.uk/fishing/page2.html More relevant to me since I live within walking distance of River Ure.. Cheers

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

G'mornin' Dvarcet, you must find things rather different over here. I'm off up river for the pike myself today. Know a lovely spot near a quaint riverside boozer. The weather is totally against me at the moment, dull, grey, rain parallel to the ground and a low preasure. But I will catch, albeit nothing big! The river is very similar to what you have described. My tactics will be to arrive at about 12.00, slip into the pub until two, and then pack up! Actually, I might even fish and shall be using soft bodies and spinners such as an Ondex as my first choice. In your shoes I think I'd nip back home, team up with Newt, pop on the sun bloc and go crappie bashing!

Well once again I managed to get wet, cold and miserable in the first hour. Fell in the mud repeatedly and left some rather large dents in the riverbank. Toughed it out with a few trout.. But still no pike. Dunk, I actually have 30 pound spiderline braid with a 12 inch trace of around 45 pounds but I can make whatever length trace. I like the shorter one since it is less likey to catch in those hard to reach places. Either way I may lay off it for a few days. I think I may follow your advise Peter, only I think I'll take the pub with me or at least some to keep in my bag. Cheers

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

I don't think that I've ever had a pike take a lure when the rain is coming down.

Between showers, yes - often.

But not when the rain has been hitting the water.

I once watched a big pike, about one rod out, drifting between two weed beds in the rain.

Swimming slowly enough so that i could run a lure past her three or four times. No interest at all :(

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I'd echo what Leon has said. I've rarely caught pike on lures when it's been raining hard.

It may be co-incidence. It may be that the sound of the rain hitting the surface interferes with their hunting ability.

Certainly perch don't have the same problem, but with the odd exception I can't recall doing too well on deadbaits in heavy rain either. Can anyone else?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net