Left handed pins

Barry C

I have a couple of old centrepins a Speedia and Mordex Merlin both of which I use on a regular basis.

Like many on here I watch the sales on ebay purely out of interest.

I have noticed that most old pins with line guards fitted are set up for winding with the right hand ie left handed anglers.

I know in many of these cases the guard can be set up for right handed anglers but many cannot.

My question is in days past did most anglers wind with their right hand, I know I did'nt in my youth though I never used a pin. (40 years ago)

i think it was very popular for right handed angler fish with the handles pointing too the right (wrong way around) partly too avoid line catching on the handles when casting etc plus because theres no gears too aid winding it might of been thought best too wind in with your strongest hand/arm and control the rod with the other ,which neccetating the old switcher-roo of swapping hands too wind in and fishing banjo styley ,i've a old clip(s) here that shows some old timers doing just this

chub part 1

Youtube Video ->

chub part 2

Youtube Video ->

roach pt1

Youtube Video ->

roach pt1

Youtube Video ->

you'll notice they cast out as per (modern) righthanded but the reel is on back too front (too modern ,users of centrepins) then they control the rod and fish with the left hand and wind or bat the drum with the righthand ,i've tried this way but its too weird ,i kept trying to clasp handles that wern't there .i didn't know if i was comming or going .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I have the dvd of the anglers corner series Chav....great in'it :)

It always makes me laught when he says tha chub is 3lb's or nearer 4lb ! I bet it was only 1 lb

What great fun they are. In part two that's the only cigarette I’ve seen that gets longer as you smoke it.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I have the dvd of the anglers corner series Chav....great in'it :)

It always makes me laught when he says tha chub is 3lb's or nearer 4lb ! I bet it was only 1 lb

:D I caught one on sunday that must've been 12 lb :P

What great fun they are. In part two that's the only cigarette I’ve seen that gets longer as you smoke it.

Oh they liked their tobacco in them days Chris, a bit like little Stey and yourself ;):lol:

now ,now chaps we're talking pre-decimal lbs don't you know ,they just don't make them like they used too ,i love the under water shots (cough ,cough fishtank) and the fine ratchet on the aerial .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

i love the under water shots (cough ,cough fishtank)

Oh yeah forgot about that, no current and an assistant dinking the flake :D When were they filmed? I doubt they had the budget for proper underwater shots (if the technology was available) so hats off for even trying.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

filmed in the late sixties i'd guess ,i'll check my video tapes box (video tapes ,remember them :rolleyes: ) .see what it says

it says the eight episodes was filmed in 1968 for BBC 2 4 coarse and four game sequences .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender