canal fishing

del71

i want to go fishing this sunday on local canal is it warm enough to get any bites

Welcome Del, it's hard to say if you'll get bites, if the water temps are still low then your chances of blanking are increased. Find out what species are in there and target the ones that you might fair better with at this time of year, such as Perch. March and April are good times for Perch. Check to make sure your canal doesn't have a close season after 15th March, I'm not sure of the laws in the UK now as I only started fishing again last summer and I live abroad now. Good Luck, sometimes you learn more when the fishing is hard, change your tactics to suit the conditions and think like a fish! ;)

i want to go fishing this sunday on local canal is it warm enough to get any bites

Hi,

Welcome to Anglers Net,

Is the canal frozen solid? - No. Then its warm enough to fish, no problem.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

i've been fishing the shropshire union canal alot recently and my advice would be this, ignore the actual temps' and go on days when the temp' is high. last week the temps' were up to 15 after weeks of being around 4-8 and my local fish came on well, this week with the temps' down again to 4-8 and they've stopped biting. basically at this time of year i look for a window of three or four days when the temp' will be noticably higher, sometime in those days the fish will come on.

another good tip i picked up on this forum is to look for a period of warm, followed by a sharp drop in temp'. the thread said that the fish some how sense this coming drop in temp and go on the feed to cover themselves for the cold snap. i don't know if the reasoning is correct (likely!) but the logic works for sure and had my best fish of the year in a window like this.

in short i ignore the base temp' to a certain extent and watch instead for fluctuations in temp'. if it's up by double then it's a good bet.

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever