looking for a starter kit

mike1234

hello

was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on selecting a fly rod and reel, i have been coarse fishing and sea fishing for years but have never even held a fly rod but fancy giving it a go,

but i have no idea on what to look for in a rod or what reel to pair with it, i am hoping to get to some fisheries at first to get started off and then move onto the rivers, mainly fishing for trout and grayling

and am looking for some ideas on what to go for i am hoping to spend under £100 on a rod and reel to get me started in case i cannot manage to learn how to do it, yet i don't want to buy a cheap set up that will need replacing straight away if i can learn to use it properly.

and i will probably have to purchase it online as my local tackle shop sells boilies and lugworm and not tied flys

any advise would be greatly appreciated

mike

Depending on the rivers that you will be fishing you may need two outfits, or at least two rods if you wish to start on stillwater.

Personally I'd practice on grass first until your casting technique is halfway there and then head for the river. The other alternative is to buy a river setup and fish short distance on stillwater but don't get too disappointed if you don't catch (having said that, many a good fish comes from the margins!).

Sportfish do a few starter outfits starting from £120 http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/wychwoo...fly-rod-outfits and an even cheaper one at £99 I just noticed. You also get DVDs to get you started!

If you're fishing smaller rivers and streams I'd settle for a 3/4wt setup with a 7'-8' rod, if fishing larger rivers then perhaps a 8'-9' 5-6wt setup which would also manage ok on a lot of stillwaters.

Fly fishing is no more difficult than any other branch of the sport but, practice, practice and practice casting on grass (or water) before you attempt to fill your bag with fish the first time on a river. Trees, bushes and even the most insignificant little blade of grass will halt the progress of your fly (usually on the back cast!) and end up in frustration. Try short casts to start with until you can cast 6-8 yards comfortably. You'll be surprised at how short the distances have to be to successfully catch on a river compared with a big pool!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

cheers worms,

i am used to practice casting with sea fishing tackle over the local park so will see if i can get the same funny looks with a fly rod

Bit less chance of braining someone with fly tackle, and less time spent trying to pull 6oz leads out of a foot of damp earth!

I've got an 8' #3/#4 outfit, a 9' #5/#6 and a 9'6 #6/#7. Well, technically, the #5/#6 was bought for my wife to have a go with, but she's not progressed beyond having a go in the park yet!

I think that if it came down to it, I could get by with only the #3/#4 - it's my small river rod, but I've caught on Farmoor with it and I could catch on small stillwaters with it.

I got started in fly-fishing when I accidentally bought a 9 foot #6/7 rod on ebay for £12.51!

I've now got loads of stuff, but still use that rod a lot.

You don't need to spend a lot on a reel either, as it's not actually used when fishing (not until you start going after bigger fish leastways).

But as a beginner particularly, you do need a very good line which will help your casting.

Expect to pay around £40 for a decent fly line, and go for a weight forward floating line (probably #6).

ps I do get exactly the same wisecracks when practising casting a fly line in the park, as when I practise my off the ground cast with the beachcaster!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

You don't need to spend a fortune on a rod, something around 9' 4/5wt will do whatever you need. Think second hand quality rather than new tat. A cheap fly reel is fine, you don't need disc drags, a simple ratchet is fine.

I echo Leons comments about a good line, but he must be better off than me. I wouldn't pay 40 quid for one. The Barrio mallard in a WF 5 would be as good as you would need, and much better than most, at half the price. Give Mike Barrio a ring you will get excellent advice and he often has rods and reels available as well.

http://www.flylineshop.com/

tell him Dave Olley sent you ;)

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I echo Leons comments about a good line, but he must be better off than me. I wouldn't pay 40 quid for one.

Having one decent line to get me started, I now make do with mill ends :)

http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/Fly-Fi...dget-Fly-Lines/

It's interesting that I am now beginning to feel and appreciate the difference when casting different lines.

I dread getting to that stage with rods, and setting my heart on a top of the range rod or two!!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

No need to spend mega bucks on a line.Look at these, http://www.impactflies.com/presta/, at £17 they are really good value,i have a few and recommend them,Chris also does leaders, backing etc and his service is very good.Pitsford Pirate does a good selection,again around same price,find him on CF forums.Mullarkeys as suggested is also ok,the mill ends are fine.As for rods,take a look on ebay at Fladen Vantage rods,4 piece.Can get one for around £20 or so,may be cheaper and they are a decent rod up to 7 weight.I understand the heavier rods are not so good.Many rave about the 3 weight.Reels,plenty out there for not a lot of money,just get a large arbour reel,it will help reduce any memory in your line.Ebay is a good source once again.

As for what weights to go for depends on what you are going to be fishing,ie small stillwaters,large ,stillwaters,small rivers or large rivers.

Like others on here i have rods from 3 weight up to 7 weight.Whilst a 3 will do on a river,i do occasionally use it at my local stillwater a better bet would possibly be a 5 or 6 weight,certainly whilst finding one's feet.Personally i would rather buy each item separately,nowt wrong with kits,but i do feel they put some lets say less desirable bits and bobs in,some have poor lines and masses of flies,which on the face of it looks good,but you end up never using three quarters of the things.

This company is also good to deal with,never had a problem with them and use them a fairish amount when i need smallish items.The Masterline Debut fly line is also ok for £14.

http://www.firsttackle.co.uk/

Good luck

Edited by chuby

Is this starter kit any good?

Fly fishing starter kit

"This fantastic fly fishing kit contains everything you need to fish like a professional trout fly fisherman. The kit includes:

• A high quality lightweight graphite 9ft 0in 5/6 weight fly rod for smooth and easy casting,
  • A ready to use, preloaded quality lightweight disk drag reel, loaded with backing, fly line and leader
  • Scientific Anglers species-specific fly line (WF-6-F) for excellent floatation and easy casting
  • Fly box with flies – the right bass-specific flies to catch trout
  • 2-in-1 instructional DVD Including fly fishing made easy and Panfish & Bass with Larry Dahlberg

"

Is this starter kit any good?

Fly fishing starter kit

"This fantastic fly fishing kit contains everything you need to fish like a professional trout fly fisherman. The kit includes:

• A high quality lightweight graphite 9ft 0in 5/6 weight fly rod for smooth and easy casting,
  • A ready to use, preloaded quality lightweight disk drag reel, loaded with backing, fly line and leader
  • Scientific Anglers species-specific fly line (WF-6-F) for excellent floatation and easy casting
  • Fly box with flies – the right bass-specific flies to catch trout
  • 2-in-1 instructional DVD Including fly fishing made easy and Panfish & Bass with Larry Dahlberg

"

I did as leon did but my rod was £6,i now have several and only been fly fishing bout 3 years,think my favourite is a greys g series about £60 6/7 weight,i first used an 8 weight line to aid casting,but not a £40 one Leon,one of the best lines i have had and got is a mill end for a fiver.Any way got a load of gear off ebay for less than £50,had a lot of fun with it too. I now have much more expensive stuff but don't catch many more fish.Richard.