8 year olds first river trip

Mat Hillman

Any ideas on what would be the best way to introduce a youngster to river fishing?

My 8 year old has been reading the club websites, and now wants to try river fishing! I'm worried that handing him a 13' match rod and a centrepin might be over-complicating things for him!

Any suggestions on the best way to introduce river fishing? he's fairly proficient fishing a whip on stillwaters, but doesn't have much experience with a running line.

it'd also be nice to use a method that we can both fish from the same swim, I was thinking maybe a maggot swimfeeder would be simple enough for him to use, and should generate enough bites in the summer to keep him busy???

Mat

Mat

Maggot swimfeeder is a good idea, but why not use the whip? Find some steady water with a bit of depth close in and it should be easy enough to trot a short swim with a whip.

Maggot swimfeeder is a good idea, but why not use the whip? Find some steady water with a bit of depth close in and it should be easy enough to trot a short swim with a whip.

That was my first thought but then I thought "deep water close in" and "eight year old lad" and reconsidered!

Hi,

My youngest is 8 and I have been taking him to the river (Great Ouse) since he was 6. He is a bit un-cordinated (he has dyspraxia - linked with dyslexia) and I think he would struggle with a rod and reel. However he has his own 4 metre whip and we can usually find plenty of swims with a 4 - 6 feet depth fairly close in. This means he can trot/hold back a pole float quite easily and catches plenty of roach/perch etc.

He can swim but I must admit that I don't fish as well, but just sit with him, just in case in goes in. I can then feed the swim for him if necessary.

he's fairly proficient fishing a whip on stillwaters,

I'd go for the whip too, save worrying about the reel! I learned to fish on the whip and still love the occasional pole/whip session! In fact when ever I take someone fishing for the first time I start odff on the pole!

Rich

When I was 7 or 8 centrepins were all we had in the 1930's, little bakerlite jobies, had to pick them up second hand as pocket money was hard to come by.

I can remember wading in and trotting the river, but I think I was about 10 then as WW2 had started, that was why we had no adult supervision because nearly all the men had been called up in the army for the war, kids just got on and did things because Dads were not around.

I'm sure with a little instruction at first he will be alright.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Hadn't really thought of using the whip on a river, guess that'd work, the Chelmer is fairly slow flowing. We'll give that a go then!

I can fish the same swim and cast to the far bank with a waggler then too :)

Mat

Mat

Why not use a centrepin - tis what I was using as an 8 year old (on the Chelmer too)!!! (Mind you I was desperately saving my pennies to buy a fixed spool reel!)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Why not use a centrepin - tis what I was using as an 8 year old (on the Chelmer too)!!! (Mind you I was desperately saving my pennies to buy a fixed spool reel!)

C.

Cos he might like it and then ask for a Lythe for Xmas :)

Mat :)

Mat

Colin W

That was my first thought but then I thought "deep water close in" and "eight year old lad" and reconsidered!

if your concerned about the lad falling in "and who wouldn't be "

then i suggest that you contact your nearest yachting club and ask about kids life jackets

there are lots of unobtrusive ones on the market these days like the self inflating type (fresh water )which keep the wearer s face out of the water

should they become unconscious.

then figure out what kind of rod reel combo he should have .

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif