Pond Fish - Do You Like Catching Them?

Dales

Fishing commercials is an artificial experience and so why not go the whole hog and stock with what ever.

Because its one step closer for these fish getting into waters where they are not wanted or contained.

By the mere fact that they are introduced into waters means they can be transferred illegally by idiots (without having to pay for them from garden centres/pet shops etc) Once in a water they can also be spread by "natural" means.Not in any waters stops this!

Always strikes me as how strange it is that knocking a Zander/Catfish on the head that has been illegally introduced is ok yet people would freak if I banged these on the head and fed them to my cat!-

Image025.jpg

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anybody on this board who learnt fly fishing skills on a commercial lake stocked with trout? Who abhors the stocking of barbel in commercials.

Are trout invariably river fish in their natural state? :unsure:

Yes me! and yes they are as even ones found naturally in the Lochs and Loughs come from the rivers that feed them.

It is double standards I admit.

From what I remember the stocking of the reservoirs etc with trout was welcomed as it brought affordable fly fishing for trout to many more.There was an element of snobbery (but all trout fishing still water and river is full of this) but no real problems with the idea as a whole.

And what about trout? A species found in still waters everywhere.

Yes, and naturally, trout live in lakes etc and choose not to live in the rivers flowing in and out of them.

Always strikes me as how strange it is that knocking a Zander/Catfish on the head that has been illegally introduced is ok yet people would freak if I banged these on the head and fed them to my cat!-

True.

Plus nice catch of ornamentals.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Yes, and naturally, trout live in lakes etc and choose not to live in the rivers flowing in and out of them.

But they still have to return to those rivers to spawn. But you do have a point, if the conditions were that bad they simply wouldn't go in the lake/loch/loughs I suppose.Before anyone says I might as well add that some lowland lakes and reservoirs which have rivers/streams running in/out the browns sometimes spawn successfully but I think we shouldn't get to tied up with game and coarse fish as after all the game fish are born with migratory instincts when it comes to reproducing.

Another difference is that I have fished several rivers in the UK and abroad that have lakes,dead arms,harbours/marinas and have never caught a barbel or even heard of one (anyone?) coming from anything but the river and normally the pacier more oxygenated stretches (even though in a couple of instances these haven't been that far from "still water" features) So using Ian's logic that would suggest they don't like still water!

I don't agree with overstocking any species, but the particular water quality requirements of a given species will determine whether chucking them in a commercial creates a welfare problem or not. Barbel have different needs to carp. If you stocked trout into a typical commercial, they'd die. Tench and crucians evolved to thrive in pretty harsh conditions without suffering harm, so I'm less concerned that they are being subjected to unsuitable habitat.

On stillwater chub, I've only seen them thrive in clean reservoir type waters - they seem to have a wider tolerance of acceptable habitat than do barbel, but I would have to look up their tolerance data to make an informed comment. On balance, why not leave them where they belong?

On stillwater trout, some local small stillwater fisheries have stocking policies which I think are unethical - their waters get too warm in the height of summer to support trout, and a lot of the fish snuff it as a result of the ensuing stress. I don't patronise these fisheries. Others stop stocking in springtime, run the stocks down and close for the summer. Others have good year round trout habitat.

It's up to each individual to do what they think best - I've made my choices and drawn my lines.

On stillwater trout, some local small stillwater fisheries have stocking policies which I think are unethical - their waters get too warm in the height of summer to support trout, and a lot of the fish snuff it as a result of the ensuing stress.

Strangely enough Ive seen more of this sort of thing on small club/syndicate run trout waters than "commercial"/"Put and take" ones!

Ive had many a fall out when the local trout "expert" bullys the comittee into wasting more of our money! So much so that I no longer bother with them!

Maybe I should point out that I have never fished still waters for Barbel yet and plan to because it has Orfe in it. I have no interest in catching still water Barbel and truth be told I don't much want to see them in our still waters and also think it would be a sad day if they end up as the norm on commercial waters.

What a sad day it would be if commercials end up with Albino and Golden Barbel in them. However I still think that it is no worse then stocking other species. Maybe it's because Barbel are seen to a certain extent as a "Marker Species" to many, one of the last true natural species that does involve getting out and back to a more wild form of fishing and so represents all that is seen as good about our sport. If they become the norm in commercials and they are getting more popular, then it shows just how far "angling" has moved away from it's roots and the natural fishing that many love.

Maybe that's why we have a Barbel on our licence, as it does conjure up thoughts about all that is good about fishing. Maybe taming the "wild Barbel" and reducing it to just another stockie can be seen as the final straw for many but I can't see how it's much worse then doing the same to other fish.

I think before in thread around using baits I said that I had never used Perch as bait and it was down to an emotional thing, I like Perch and it just feels wrong to me to use them, but I use other species. What is the difference? It's a personnel thing, first fish I caught and all my early years fishing involved plenty of Perch fishing it's just one step to far for me to use them as bait. Stocking Barbel is no doubt a step and more likely a mile to much for others and represents all they hate about "modern fishing"

But on a welfare grounds, I doubt it's a bed of roses for other fish in commercials. I still don't buy the argument about Tench and Crucians in poor water. Just because they are last to go belly up, does not prove they are able to thrive in such conditions, they just survive better. It might be a rather cold attitude but Barbel also do survive in commercial conditions and maybe that's the best fish in some commercials can aspire to survive not thrive :(

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I don't agree with overstocking any species, but the particular water quality requirements of a given species will determine whether chucking them in a commercial creates a welfare problem or not. Barbel have different needs to carp. If you stocked trout into a typical commercial, they'd die. Tench and crucians evolved to thrive in pretty harsh conditions without suffering harm, so I'm less concerned that they are being subjected to unsuitable habitat.

On stillwater chub, I've only seen them thrive in clean reservoir type waters - they seem to have a wider tolerance of acceptable habitat than do barbel, but I would have to look up their tolerance data to make an informed comment. On balance, why not leave them where they belong?

On stillwater trout, some local small stillwater fisheries have stocking policies which I think are unethical - their waters get too warm in the height of summer to support trout, and a lot of the fish snuff it as a result of the ensuing stress. I don't patronise these fisheries. Others stop stocking in springtime, run the stocks down and close for the summer. Others have good year round trout habitat.

It's up to each individual to do what they think best - I've made my choices and drawn my lines.

They can stick what they want in commercials for me. As Dales says it isn't right to over stock any species. If it was up to me, you would see more commercials getting prosecuted for their fish welfare.

I'm of the opinion that chub seem to do OK in stillwaters. Ive caught one or two nice looking plump chub from small non commercial stillwaters and they've always seemed to be in the best of health. From what I've seen and read of them in heavily stocked commerails, they don't seem to do to badly in there either. Didn't the record come from such a place?

Ive never caught a stillwater barbel or fished stillwaters with them in, so can't really say if its right or wrong to put them in stillwaters. How do barbel get on in non commercial stillwaters with better water quality?

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Ive caught one or two nice looking plump chub from small non commercial stillwaters and they've always seemed to be in the best of health.

Me too - there is a sort of oxbow lake near ("near" as in about a hundred yards) one of my local rivers. It contains some chub, presumably as a result of flooding. I have had them up to 4 lb there.

Ironically, the lake and some nearby dykes are owned by a farmer who runs a carp fishery, but has the good sense to leave the carp in their muddy pit and allow the oxbow to stay in its natural state - it was once used as a duck decoy.

How do barbel get on in non commercial stillwaters with better water quality?

No personal experience, but some gravel pits next to the Medway are said to contain barbel as a result of the river flooding. There have been one or two reports of barbel being caught there.

AFAIK the individual fish survive, but won't be able to breed. The water quality will deteriorate henceforth though, as the owning club have now stocked "match-sized" carp.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...