Pond Fish - Do You Like Catching Them?

Dales

The sad thing for me is that people coming into fishing now think this is all normal. Worse is that plenty of people who have been around a bit don't see anything wrong with it either.

Anderoo it's not your type of fishing and it's not mine. However who are we to dictate to others what form of fishing/angling they should enjoy. To me it's a case of freedom of choice within the sport and not a forced dictatorship. Maybe commercials will introduce people to the sport and from there they will branch out into other branches of angling.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However who are we to dictate to others what form of fishing/angling they should enjoy. To me it's a case of freedom of choice within the sport and not a forced dictatorship.

Sure, but it has to work both ways doesn't it. People then shouldn't be able to dictate what form of fishing I should enjoy, and my freedom of choice is getting narrower and narrower. This is the point people seem to miss, or misunderstand.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sure, but it has to work both ways doesn't it. People then shouldn't be able to dictate what form of fishing I should enjoy, and my freedom of choice is getting narrower and narrower. This is the point people seem to miss, or misunderstand.

Really, I don't see how :mellow:

Surely digging pools and stocking them with all kinds of fish doesn't affect you ? The only way I could see it affecting your fishing is if someone buys/ takes over a wild'ish old pond/lake you liked fishing and stock's that with all the usual species (that has acually happend to several of my old haunts).

Edited by Tigger

I fail to see how anyone can miss the point, it's been said over and over again on this forum.

Maybe it will sink in, when it affects waters closer to home.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Can the last angler to catch the last wild fish please turn the lights off :(

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I fail to see how anyone can miss the point, it's been said over and over again on this forum.

Maybe it will sink in, when it affects waters closer to home.

John.

Indeed, it's heartbreaking when it happens. All the lakes I grew up with are now commercial clones.

A newly dug hole with a load of fish tipped in doesn't affect me at all, except that it makes me feel sorry for the poor old fish in there. When club lakes or nice day ticket lakes copy them by overstocking, stocking unsuitable (in my opinion) species, or stocking basically only 1 species and getting rid of the rest, then it affects me. It's like dominos, and if you haven't experienced it you can't imagine how sad it is to see a once lovely old lake turned into a caricature of itself.

It's why I drive to Kent to go tench fishing (and I wish I didn't have to!). Unspoilt stillwaters are like hen's teeth now.

If those overstocked lakes full of pond fish empty themselves into a river during a flood and take their diseases with them, that will affect me too. Not just me, the whole environment.

I don't want people to think I'm preaching to people, telling them how to go about their fishing - in actual fact it's the other way around.

I hope that's clearer?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Indeed, it's heartbreaking when it happens. All the lakes I grew up with are now commercial clones.

A newly dug hole with a load of fish tipped in doesn't affect me at all, except that it makes me feel sorry for the poor old fish in there. When club lakes or nice day ticket lakes copy them by overstocking, stocking unsuitable (in my opinion) species, or stocking basically only 1 species and getting rid of the rest, then it affects me. It's like dominos, and if you haven't experienced it you can't imagine how sad it is to see a once lovely old lake turned into a caricature of itself.

It's why I drive to Kent to go tench fishing (and I wish I didn't have to!). Unspoilt stillwaters are like hen's teeth now.

If those overstocked lakes full of pond fish empty themselves into a river during a flood and take their diseases with them, that will affect me too. Not just me, the whole environment.

I don't want people to think I'm preaching to people, telling them how to go about their fishing - in actual fact it's the other way around.

I hope that's clearer?

Anderoo as I stated in my previous post turning wild ponds into a commercial is going to affect the fisherman who likes to fish the wild ponds (me included). Obviously I'm against this as I'm against building houses on greenbelt land (destruction of habitat). I've no prob' with purpose built commercials. I don't agree with your assumption that commercials are full of disease. What you've got to remember is that people are making a living out of these waters and they're not going to jeperdise that by letting their assets deteriorate. That's one reason why they have all kinds of rules to protect the fish and monitor the water.

I'm not having it that there's no good tench waters between you and Kent .

Anderoo as I stated in my previous post turning wild ponds into a commercial is going to affect the fisherman who likes to fish the wild ponds (me included). Obviously I'm against this as I'm against building houses on greenbelt land (destruction of habitat). I've no prob' with purpose built commercials. I don't agree with your assumption that commercials are full of disease. What you've got to remember is that people are making a living out of these waters and they're not going to jeperdise that by letting their assets deteriorate. That's one reason why they have all kinds of rules to protect the fish and monitor the water.

theres thousands of natural pods out there get a big scale map of you area and you will be tripping over them ,all those little blue smudges and dots are ponds and most have fish in them ,the hardest thing is to convince the farmer there's fish in them and to let you try to catch them

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No, true, my last post was a very pessimistic 'worst case' scenario. But it could happen. I do realise these are commercial enterprises (hence the name!) and so have to make money, but I think protecting the fish is sugar coating it a bit. The fish have a very hard life, even those which are supposed to like being in small stillwaters. If there was ever a concerted campaign to get angling banned, I'm sure the picture on the leaflets and the adverts would be of some sorry old carp with a mangled mouth from an overstocked pond. It would be very hard to justify what we do in the face of that.

There must be some decent tench waters between me and Kent, but there aren't any in my immediate area, so if I have to travel I may as well travel to somewhere really nice :)

I should probably clarify that I don't have an issue with people running, and making a living from, fishing lakes. What I object to is overstocking simply to make the fishing easy, and stocking of species that wouldn't naturally be in that environment, just to make fishing more interesting for the easily bored or the lazy!

Edited by Anderoo

You want to move up here Anderoo. Obviously man had a hand in moving coarse about in the first place but there's very little stocking of coarse fish up here. If we fish for carp, roach, rudd, tench, perch, pike...we can find as close to natural stocks all over the place.

The problem we have is so much stillwater stocked with trout variants.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...