Hitting The Lake Tommorow :)

larsagi2010

Ok, so tommorow should be my first proper session of 2011! I am targeting Carp however as I am fishing strawberry sweetcorn the chances of Perch, Tench, Ide, Bream, Roach and Barbel or more than likely going to be my prime catches.

Last year I found myself using the same method repeatedly (It caught fish so why fix what ain't broken!) However despite this I am thinking of doing a little experimenting to see if I can improve the results.

As usual I will most likely have the whole lake to myself, so I am going to use this to my advantage :) Normally I would fish a quiet corner of this small lake, however I was thinking this will probably only lure a small percentage of the fish into the swim? So tommorow I am going to lay a mild bed of hemp/6mm expanders down in the centre of the lake (Spread quite widely in a 12ft squared box) And fish two method feeders loaded with soaked 6mm pellets, some hemp in them also... And on the hook I will have double Strawberry sweetcorn hair rigged :D....

Once I have casted out I will then lay about 15-20 kernals of strawberry corn over the top just to make the hookbait look a little less obvious.... Hopefully it will bring in results!!

The lake is well stocked so I imagine fish will be nearby constantly. The bed is also pretty weedy so the mild bed of small spread out baits should really get them routing around on the bottom and hunting for the food hopefully getting their guard down...

Does anyone have any tips/advice as I have never really carp fished at this time of year.... I was told keep feed down low-ish as a heavy bed can deter them.....

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I blanked when i attempted carp fishing for the first time this year last week (if that makes sense). I think often a visual single bait like sweetcorn or maggot cast into loads of different swims is more effective. Whereas in the summer they cruise about and when they find your feed they stay on your feed, in winter i found that they are tightly packed in certain spots and the best thing to do is try several different swims, not staying in one swim longer than an hour.

I also think that laying down a bed of oily hemp and pellets could put them off, although it's coming into spring the water temperatures can still be quite cold and i'd think twice about putting that much feed in.

if i were you i'd hair rig a bright boilie or sweetcorn and try several different spots, and put little to no feed in. Sorry if that contradicts you but i did similar to what you have described last week and i just completely blanked.

Hope this helps

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

The carp ive had since after christmas have all been on single boilies tipped with fake corn cast close to features. At this time of year locating where the fish are is alot more effective than trying to draw the fish to a baited area

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Ok, so tommorow should be my first proper session of 2011! I am targeting Carp however as I am fishing strawberry sweetcorn the chances of Perch, Tench, Ide, Bream, Roach and Barbel or more than likely going to be my prime catches.

Last year I found myself using the same method repeatedly (It caught fish so why fix what ain't broken!) However despite this I am thinking of doing a little experimenting to see if I can improve the results.

As usual I will most likely have the whole lake to myself, so I am going to use this to my advantage :) Normally I would fish a quiet corner of this small lake, however I was thinking this will probably only lure a small percentage of the fish into the swim? So tommorow I am going to lay a mild bed of hemp/6mm expanders down in the centre of the lake (Spread quite widely in a 12ft squared box) And fish two method feeders loaded with soaked 6mm pellets, some hemp in them also... And on the hook I will have double Strawberry sweetcorn hair rigged :D....

Once I have casted out I will then lay about 15-20 kernals of strawberry corn over the top just to make the hookbait look a little less obvious.... Hopefully it will bring in results!!

The lake is well stocked so I imagine fish will be nearby constantly. The bed is also pretty weedy so the mild bed of small spread out baits should really get them routing around on the bottom and hunting for the food hopefully getting their guard down...

Does anyone have any tips/advice as I have never really carp fished at this time of year.... I was told keep feed down low-ish as a heavy bed can deter them.....

I had a good match today at sumners lakes coming 2nd with 8 carp up to 10lb all caught on the method feeder on a cold hard day for a total of 48lb , i would have won but lost 2 big carp in the last half hour ( gutted )

What i did was emptied a bag of dynamite baits 3mm carp pellets into a bowl and covered with water for 3 minutes then drained , then i poured in half a small 75cl bottle of red food colouring and mixed well and the pellets take on a good deep red colour.

Hookbait was a hair rigged single hi vis 8mm pink boilie which i buried in the pellets squeezed around a small elasticated guru method feeder and punched out about 40 yards

I stuck at this pretty much the whole match as everything else i tried wasnt working and one of which was cupping in a bed of pellets and sweetcorn on one of my pole lines in which i didnt get a bite.

If you want to what you can do if youve got free room around you is to put in what i call an all or nothing line where you put a good bed of whatever feed you fancy on the day down ie hemp etc, but make sure its over to the far left or right of your swim , then see if you can catch over it and if you dont then theres no harm done as you can always fish more sensibly out in front of you.

In my opinion as others the water is still just to cold to get the fish going mad over a bed of feed and 9 times out of 10 you will just kill the swim for the day.

Thanks for the replies! :)

Here is a little rundown of what happened....

I took with me two rods, set up the first one and cast it out while setting up the second one (Great chance to test my new baitrunner I thought) Both rods had a preston method feeder loaded with 6mm dynamite baits pellets, and double strawberry corn on the hair....

I had barely attached the reel on the second rod when... Bleep, Bleep, Bleep.... The drop back indicator really gently dropped a little tiny bit each bleep..... I thought do I hit that? or let it go more confidently (It was fixed rig)... When the drop back indicator got near the ground I lifted into the fish and... Disaster!!!! I forgot about my new baitrunner feature on the reel..... There was a loud Zzzzzzzzzzzzz as the line flew all over the reel like a birds nest :lol: I assumed I missed the fish but all of a sudden the rod tip started gently bending and pulsing.... I eventually managed to untangle the nest while playing the fish but sadly it come off in the margins grrr! I didn't get a good look at the fish but based on the colour I suspect it was probably a small Common Carp of maybe half a lb....

I re-cast, began working on the second rod again and I had a similar bite on the first rod.... Remembered the baitrunner this time and lifted into the fish... f-all there lol

Re-cast and finally finished my second rod and also cast the out when the first rod for a third time had a really gentle drop-back.... Lifted into the fish and landed a really nice looking Ghost Carp of about 2-3lb (Not the biggest but a result)

Then for some reason someone with a radio on the bank decided to scream ''Yes, oh f**kin Yes'' at the top of his lungs when Liverpool scored in the football match.... We never had a bite again :( Neither did any other anglers by the looks of it.... And after another hour we were so cold we came home to the refuge of the kettle!

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish