Pellets

rabid

Can anyone give me some advice on which pellets to try and how to prepare them?

I bought some Sensas expander pellets and although they were spot on for hooking they tended to float even after a good squeeze.

I have tried some which were bought from my local tackle shop in plain plasic bags and these were either too hard or too mushy depending on if they were soaked in cold or hot water.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan.....

My barbel fishing is almost exclusively with pellet. Either 14mm hi-betaine or 11mm halibut - both available from Hinders. Mount using a hair rig - drill the pellet with a nut drill or use a bait band - they need no preparation. I normally use a band - and will cut a shallow groove in the pellet with a hack saw blade for the band to sit in - less chance of it coming off in th cast.

HTH

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thanks Chris.

I will give the larger pellets a try on Tuesday when I have a session on the Trent.

11mm and 14 mm attached with a bait band sounds fine but what about 5mm for smaller species?

Alan.....

I have not seen the Mistral pellets but will have a look next week on my weekly visit to the tackle shop.

I did try the halibut pellets on my last visit to the Trent on Thursday and managed to hook 2 Barbel but lost them both in a snag :mad: but at least I did get bites unlike some

Alan...

We are lucky in living both sides of Barnsley, home of some of the finest anglers in the world.

I bumped into Dennis White at Fleets dam and am now confused no more with pellets.

This is what I was told. Take floating Expanda pellets/bag up pellets/or any others that float, put them in a shallow tray and immerse them in boiling water for 3 minutes. pour them onto a riddle to run the water off, then plunge into cold water. Very quickly they will all sink, there's no need to do any squeezing at all. Let the excess water drain off then throw some groundbait of your choice onto some newspaper and roll the pellets around on it to coat them.

You will now find that they don't stick together and can be fed via a catty like casters 6 at a time. Fishmeal groundbait works very well.

Eeeeeeeeeee older I get the better I was

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.